My new Nexus 7 arrived today. And wow. I have to say I'm impressed. Everything worked out of the box. The screen is amazingly beautiful. The voice feature works at least as well as Siri. The Swype keyboard is amazing. And it even knows where I am with more detail than my iPhone 5. Gmail on the Nexus is also really beautiful. I haven't tried that much yet, but am really impressed so far. And no dead pixels.

This is a screenshot after I asked it by voice what the weather is like today. (Can't get the IMG tags to work.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o0nsuhuk8d...3-12-22-30.png
    ph0ne likes this.
    08-12-2013 10:56 PM
    Congratulations on your new device!
    08-12-2013 10:59 PM
    My new Nexus 7 arrived today. And wow. I have to say I'm impressed. Everything worked out of the box. The screen is amazingly beautiful. The voice feature works at least as well as Siri. The Swype keyboard is amazing. And it even knows where I am with more detail than my iPhone 5. Gmail on the Nexus is also really beautiful. I haven't tried that much yet, but am really impressed so far. And no dead pixels.

This is a screenshot after I asked it by voice what the weather is like today. (Can't get the IMG tags to work.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o0nsuhuk8d...3-12-22-30.png
    Congrats! I just got the tablet on Saturday and I'm loving it myself. No known issues and I'm having fun loading back all the apps I had on my Galaxy Tab 2.

J
    08-12-2013 11:03 PM
    The form factor is great, the screen is great, Google Now is as helpful as ever, and it fits in the hand and pocket better than the first-gen Nexus 7. Really liking it so far.
    08-12-2013 11:11 PM
    I am basically an Apple user, and except for an LG Optimius running Android 2.3 for mobile app testing I've never really used Android before. I have an iPhone 5 and an iPad 2.

I don't use the iPad 2 that much, and I think the reason is basically form factor as mentioned above. It is too large and heavy to use in one hand comfortably.

Also, the iPad 2 (unlike later iPads) has no voice control or dictation. Whenever I switch to it from my iPhone 5 I feel like I want to talk to it and cannot.

I think, so far, this Nexus 7 is amazing. Especially for the price. The quality seems great to me. I am looking forward to trying more things out as I get used to the Android 4.3 system. So far everything has been obvious. I did glance at the online manual to get a couple of useful hints though - like dragging down from the top right corner opens up quick settings. Very useful.

It really seems very smooth in operation as well.

doug
    08-12-2013 11:46 PM