Adding labels in the gmail app?

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes, select the email you wish to add by tapping on the picture or big blocky letter, then tap the icon at the top that looks like a folder. You may select a label there.

Joe Joejoe

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if the app is equipped for that, but using gmail in a browser will allow you access to the necessary settings to change the labels.

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes, select the email you wish to add by tapping on the picture or big blocky letter, then tap the icon at the top that looks like a folder. You may select a label there.

From there it seems you can only select existing labels. I don't see a place to add new labels there.

doug

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Joe is correct. To add a new label, you have to use a browser rather than the app. I had the same question awhile back and was frustrated to learn that was the case.

From there it seems you can only select existing labels. I don't see a place to add new labels there.

doug

JFistere

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Using Chrome on a Nexus 10 and Gmail I can check a label to add to a message, click OK, but the label doesn't get added. Any ideas, anybody?

LSSir

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I m using Samsung galaxy trend . It is true not to create lables in the application or changing the view in the latest (with tabs) form

krustybaguette

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
@Scott and Doug

There really is NO way to add labels/folders in GMail. That's my biggest gripe about the Google universe. We know better than you do, so you have to use our way. That's one of the reasons I still use an email client on my laptop (Thunderbird @ home and Outlook @ work).
Here's a link that shows why in their own words. I'm going to give K-9 mail another try on my phone and tablet.

Ian Warks

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
Yep, the browser is the only way I have found too.
BUT - that only works using the desktop version of the page -
AND - switching to a second (linked) account, causes it to use the mobile version of the web page, AND that too lacks the ability to add new labels to thea account, AND switching to the desktop version at that point also switches back to the 1st account... So I am caught in a trap/loop...

RuthB

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
You can add a label from the stock email app on your Apple mobile device. It will show up in your Android app. Neither operating system is perfect all the time.

Last edited:

Leela Rathi

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
Did you find his to create s new folder in gmail on mobile device. I am having same problem as you asked earlier of creating s new folder in gmail app on mobile device

Leela Rathi

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
your answer is bit confusing,you said label doesn't get added,but what do you mean by message adding to label,that is what confused me,can you answer me

acbeaton

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Guys,

Not sure if you have worked this out but if you use the "inbox by gmail" app you can do it in there I just tried it and it worked. That's the app with the blue envelope.

I wondered what use Inbox was. Now I know! Thanks, Tony, for solving a long-standing irritation with the Gmail Android app. It would be much neater and make more sense to have this feature within the main app. Come on Google.