Worth upgrading 2012 Nexus 7?

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have an original Nexus 7 with 32GB of Ram that does everything I need it to do. Are there any advantages to upgrading our should I hold off until the next generation?
What can the new model do that mine can't? I do know about the better screen and the stereo speakers. I don't care too much about the extra camera.

Posted via Android Central App

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I have an original Nexus 7 with 32GB of Ram that does everything I need it to do. Are there any advantages to upgrading our should I hold off until the next generation?
What can the new model do that mine can't? I do know about the better screen and the stereo speakers. I don't care too much about the extra camera.

It's noticeably faster, better screen, rear camera, a little nicer to hold, a little better speakers. For me it was worth it, but you have to decide if it's worth it for you. Part of that equation is usually what will happen with the old one (pass it along to a family member, sell it, etc). I passed my 1st gen N7 to my wife, so that helped make it worth it for me. The fact that it's a lot faster / more responsive helped clench that "worth it" feeling after I got it.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Other than the rear facing camera, the core Nexus 7 experience is still the same, just that it's evolved somewhat. Only you can decide if those improvements are worth it.

If the 2012 serves you just fine, then keep it. If you're a tech geek and can afford it, get it as you'll probably love the upgrades. Or if you can sell the 2012 and get a chunk of change to put towards the 2013, then consider it.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
The old one can do everything the new one can as far as the UI.
I got the new model because my 2012 model started lagging a lot.
It got to the point where I stopped using it. If it wasn't for that, I probably would have held off. The camera is a welcomed addition. I can now scan documents to PDF using the camera and scanner apps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all!
My wife already has one so that excuse won't work for me;-) I'll think about it some more but at this point I'm thinking of just keeping what I have unless I get an unexpected windfall...

DeepSeaGoddess

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Glad I made the decision to get the new one as the screen rocks. Best screen I've seen on a tablet. Also overall look and feel is better than the old one.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm unfortunately one of the many who've been bitten by the bugs being publicized about this tablet so take my answer for where it's coming from: No. Wait until there's been an official resolution, or there's a decent chance you'll be playing the screen/gps/reboot lottery like me.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm unfortunately one of the many who've been bitten by the bugs being publicized about this tablet so take my answer for where it's coming from: No. Wait until there's been an official resolution, or there's a decent chance you'll be playing the screen/gps/reboot lottery like me.

The GPS issue seems to be the only one that is consistent, so IMO unless the GPS issues are a deal breaker, seems fine to pick one up & exchange it if there are any reboot or screen issues.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
The GPS issue seems to be the only one that is consistent, so IMO unless the GPS issues are a deal breaker, seems fine to pick one up & exchange it if there are any reboot or screen issues.
And the GPS issue can't be totally "consistent" as the two in our family have no problems.

Sent from my incredible new Nexus 7 (2013).

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all!
My wife already has one so that excuse won't work for me;-) I'll think about it some more but at this point I'm thinking of just keeping what I have unless I get an unexpected windfall...

If it makes you feel better, I asked hubby if he wanted to upgrade and he is perfectly happy with his first gen Nexus 7. His eyes do well with lower resolution devices, mine don't. So I'm thrilled, it was a long wait for a 7" tablet with a good screen.
So far, it's working well. Haven't done much GPS testing, but that's not going to be my primary use. Still, if I'd already had a good 7" tablet, I'd probably have waited to buy, made sure there were no kinks first. I'm not usually the early adopter type.

Besides, as other tablets get announced, there could be more sales. I'd already waited so long for this that I couldn't stand not to buy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12