OK, kinda freaking out here.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
So, this thing has been randomly rebooting on me, chrome was crashing on open, and my typing is jumping all over the place.

I did 2 factory restores on this thing (first was after I had like 4 apps crash on opening second was after 7 of my apps that were downloading from my back up wouldn't even install)

I cleared the data from chrome and reinstalled it's updates. Hopefully that fixes that issue.

But is my hardware borked or is this all to so with the issues Google is aware and looking into? Can anything be damaged from 2 factory restores one right after another?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure of the cause of this, but doing factory restores back to back shouldn't be able to harm the device at all. If it continues not working I'd look at having them send you a replacement, because the behaviors you're describing are absolutely not normal.

mikemike162012

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Well I had done 2 factory restore already to test out my multi touch screen problem. On my 2nd restore, 2 apps from my account won't install correctly, there was an error so I had to install them thru google store directly (instead of installing from google store on under my account name). And I was surprised that my chrome web page (was viewing before I factory resetted) reloaded onto my new restore since I don't remember I ever sync it with my account.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure of the cause of this, but doing factory restores back to back shouldn't be able to harm the device at all. If it continues not working I'd look at having them send you a replacement, because the behaviors you're describing are absolutely not normal.

I don't know, I'm kinda paranoid of it screwing up now. Im just tired of restoring it.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
If you can I'd suggest an exchange. My unit is working perfectly. I have not had one crash or random reboot. Nor am I experiencing the touch screen issues. So there are units out there that are in great working order.

Sent from my HTC One

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
So, I'm talking with customer service via email and they should be calling me. I still don't know if I should just return it for a refund or just exchange it. I guess I should see if a exchange fixes my issues first. But I still don't know if those issues are hardware related or just android being android.

horseflesh

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I have the multitouch problems, and according to the Google support thread, a bunch of other people do too. There is no way to know yet if it is a problem that can be fixed with software. Even if it can be fixed there is no guarantee it will be fixed. I would suggest returning yours for a new one and hoping for the best... or, return it as defective and wait for news. That's what I'll be doing. There are too many reports of swaps not working out for people so I'd rather wait than waste time playing that game.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
So, I'm talking with customer service via email and they should be calling me. I still don't know if I should just return it for a refund or just exchange it. I guess I should see if a exchange fixes my issues first. But I still don't know if those issues are hardware related or just android being android.

I've had my new N7 since before release day, and it hasn't crashed on me once. A few apps have, but rarely, and never the whole device.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
But I still don't know if those issues are hardware related or just android being android.

It's definitively not android doing it's thing. Having been on stock android devices fro the last two years, I've never seen a device behave like that. But, those are very strange symptoms for a hardware issue so hopefully they can get you sorted out quickly. I've had both Nexus 7 devices and a Nexus phone for 2 years and I've never had force close issues that weren't caused by something I did to it (either while flashing stuff or bringing the Glass APK in, etc). But if you're seeing them with no apps installed after factory restarts there is obviously and definitely something wrong.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
It's definitively not android doing it's thing. Having been on stock android devices fro the last two years, I've never seen a device behave like that. But, those are very strange symptoms for a hardware issue so hopefully they can get you sorted out quickly. I've had both Nexus 7 devices and a Nexus phone for 2 years and I've never had force close issues that weren't caused by something I did to it (either while flashing stuff or bringing the Glass APK in, etc). But if you're seeing them with no apps installed after factory restarts there is obviously and definitely something wrong.

I never really had it restored with no apps because right after I restored it I always went straight to the play store and redownloaded my apps.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Exchange it. You're not happy with it and you don't want to kick yourself after it's too late. You already know I'm on my 3rd

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
So customer service hasn't gotten back to me and there kinda being a pain.

It seems to be working now, so I'm probably going to see how it goes. I think this is software stuff that will be patched. But I can't really know that for sure I think.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Strangely, the tablet seems to be doing OK now after the third (or fourth?) factory store. Very odd and doesn't make sense to me. In fact, so much so I'm still skeptical of why it's suddenly working OK.

Anyway, hopefully Google will release something to fix touch response at least, be a use I'm still getting some of that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22