Hissing/static sound on lowest volume

motorcycle_monkey

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I just noticed yesterday that when I lower the volume to off, then click up to the first audible volume, there is a noticeable hissing sound above the audio. This happens for the first two clicks of sound, then the sound becomes louder. I turned it up to mid-level and put in my ear-buds and couldn't hear the sound. Not sure if it's just me or not. This happens with or without headphones plugged in. I just past my 14 day return period with Staples, so I may be stuck sending it back to ASUS, unless another retailer would swap for me. I was on a cruise for a week during the initial return period, so lost a week of "normal" use. Thanks ahead of time to all that reply!

Cheers!

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I just tried this and could not reproduce the issue. But I have a bit of tinnitus (ringing in the ears) from years of motorcycle riding and racing :)

motorcycle_monkey

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I agree Franko515. I have had pretty good luck with my devices, original N7 and now this one, so I don't want to chance getting another one that my have other issues. Cheers!

Posted via Android Central App

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I just noticed yesterday that when I lower the volume to off, then click up to the first audible volume, there is a noticeable hissing sound above the audio. This happens for the first two clicks of sound, then the sound becomes louder. I turned it up to mid-level and put in my ear-buds and couldn't hear the sound. Not sure if it's just me or not. This happens with or without headphones plugged in. I just past my 14 day return period with Staples, so I may be stuck sending it back to ASUS, unless another retailer would swap for me. I was on a cruise for a week during the initial return period, so lost a week of "normal" use. Thanks ahead of time to all that reply!

Cheers!

Nope, not just you. Mine does this as well at times, although for me it's only noticeable on some apps and then only when I'm in a very quiet location. As you describe it goes away when the volume reaches a certain level or with using headphones. It bothered me for the first day or two but now I don't really notice it.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm...I'll vote for software being the culprit as poweramp doesn't do it, but Google player does...on mine...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

franko515

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
For the posters that also had this problem. Does anyone hear the same whine from the top speaker with brightness set below 35% while using auto brightness? If so I had the same problem but after I stopped using auto brightness the sound is gone now (least I hope it has). Maybe the screen just had to warm up or something.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
For the posters that also had this problem. Does anyone hear the same whine from the top speaker with brightness set below 35% while using auto brightness? If so I had the same problem but after I stopped using auto brightness the sound is gone now (least I hope it has). Maybe the screen just had to warm up or something.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Not that I've noticed.

donqui

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I got the same problem and returned it to the shop...waiting for the replacement ! In the meantime I have tried in a shop to set through google music play and "desactivate" the surround sound...seems the hissing sound is less present...I will confirm once I will get the nexus back ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995