I just noticed yesterday that when I lower the volume to off, then click up to the first audible volume, there is a noticeable hissing sound above the audio. This happens for the first two clicks of sound, then the sound becomes louder. I turned it up to mid-level and put in my ear-buds and couldn't hear the sound. Not sure if it's just me or not. This happens with or without headphones plugged in. I just past my 14 day return period with Staples, so I may be stuck sending it back to ASUS, unless another retailer would swap for me. I was on a cruise for a week during the initial return period, so lost a week of "normal" use. Thanks ahead of time to all that reply!

Cheers!
    08-16-2013 08:46 AM
    Surely I'm not the only one having this issue...

Posted via Android Central App
    08-17-2013 02:39 PM
    I just tried this and could not reproduce the issue. But I have a bit of tinnitus (ringing in the ears) from years of motorcycle riding and racing
    08-17-2013 02:46 PM
    Yes I get the same thing. In not sure if it's a hardware problem or software problem. I don't want to return mine as that is the only thing wrong I noticed. Not even sure if this would be a problem going forward, but yes I also have this issue.

I posted about it here
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho...d.php?t=300637

Sent from my Nexus 7
    08-17-2013 05:47 PM
    I agree Franko515. I have had pretty good luck with my devices, original N7 and now this one, so I don't want to chance getting another one that my have other issues. Cheers!

Posted via Android Central App
    08-19-2013 10:51 AM
    Ah, what sad times these are when we consumers are afraid to get more defects in replacement hardware....
    08-19-2013 11:10 AM
    I just noticed yesterday that when I lower the volume to off, then click up to the first audible volume, there is a noticeable hissing sound above the audio. This happens for the first two clicks of sound, then the sound becomes louder. I turned it up to mid-level and put in my ear-buds and couldn't hear the sound. Not sure if it's just me or not. This happens with or without headphones plugged in. I just past my 14 day return period with Staples, so I may be stuck sending it back to ASUS, unless another retailer would swap for me. I was on a cruise for a week during the initial return period, so lost a week of "normal" use. Thanks ahead of time to all that reply!

Cheers!
    Nope, not just you. Mine does this as well at times, although for me it's only noticeable on some apps and then only when I'm in a very quiet location. As you describe it goes away when the volume reaches a certain level or with using headphones. It bothered me for the first day or two but now I don't really notice it.
    08-19-2013 02:35 PM
    Hmmm...I'll vote for software being the culprit as poweramp doesn't do it, but Google player does...on mine...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    08-19-2013 04:22 PM
    For the posters that also had this problem. Does anyone hear the same whine from the top speaker with brightness set below 35% while using auto brightness? If so I had the same problem but after I stopped using auto brightness the sound is gone now (least I hope it has). Maybe the screen just had to warm up or something.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    08-19-2013 06:42 PM
    For the posters that also had this problem. Does anyone hear the same whine from the top speaker with brightness set below 35% while using auto brightness? If so I had the same problem but after I stopped using auto brightness the sound is gone now (least I hope it has). Maybe the screen just had to warm up or something.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    Not that I've noticed.
    08-20-2013 10:45 AM
    I got the same problem and returned it to the shop...waiting for the replacement ! In the meantime I have tried in a shop to set through google music play and "desactivate" the surround sound...seems the hissing sound is less present...I will confirm once I will get the nexus back ;-)
    11-19-2013 08:19 AM