New Nexus 7 2013 Screen HD Block Pixels

JakRox

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey. Watched an HD version of Olympus Has Fallen. Was streaming on 20mps connection. In darker scenes and fast action, I got the blocking pixels. Has this happened to anyone else? I noticed it one other time on a YouTube video. I've not seen it happen in SD quality yet.

JakRox

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Can you post a link to an Youtube video where this happens?
I don't remember the YouTube video I was watching last week. And, at the time I thought it was maybe due to a poor internet connection. The movie I was watching last night I rented from the Play store and I purchased the HD quality. My connection was 20mps, well, actually more like 21. I checked it when it started happening thinking I had somehow jumped off my wireless connection or something had happened to my connection. I stopped, paused, took the video back a little bit and nothing helped. Right now I am downloading the video to see if it makes a difference being on the device and not streaming.
Olympus Has Fallen has some darker scenes and there is where the problem started showing up. The lighted scenes were fine.

Asus_Fred

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
So then, my question would be, If I rented an HD from the Play Store, that might not have been good quality?

I don't think its a matter of quality but like you stated it was streaming. Its possible that the connection wasn't optimal. I don't know the full details but were there blocks of pixels the entire movie? Just some portions? I think its best if you can get the movie and play it locally and see if you still get the same. If its a screen issues you will most likely notice it while using other Apps as well.

JakRox

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I did download the entire movie to my device and the issue was the same. It was not during the entire movie, just where the movie was in low lighted scenes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Mikexx

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
I just registered only to reply here.

I got the exact same problem with my new Nexus 7. It's the same with the Galaxy Note 1 I once owned. Watching videos (even in the highest quality, saved locally) shows artfifacts (black blocks) in darker scenes. The old Nexus 7 (still have it here) does not have this problem.

The question is: Is it a general problem or not?

Really annoying since I am using my Nexus 7 mostly for video playback.

anon(2274908)

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Guys, there are MANY reasons why you may see artifacting on video playback in dark scenes.

The "black crushing" example only really applies to OLED screens (GS3, Note II, etc..) when the screen is unable to display the last few darkest shades of grey and just cuts into black.

The macroblocking in dark scenes is, typically, a compression tradeoff to allow for smaller file sizes. If a 1 hour video in 720P is under 2GB in size, you WILL have this happen. This is how H264 / MP4 compression works.

You may not notice this as much on a smaller phone screen, or a lower resolution screen, or even on a lower quality display. Play that same clip on a 24" monitor and it will look much uglier than it did on your 5" phone.

To truly compare, you have to play the same file on multiple devices / displays at the same time. Try this with a highly compressed file and then with a higher bitrate file.

Mikexx

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
The macroblocking in dark scenes is, typically, a compression tradeoff to allow for smaller file sizes. If a 1 hour video in 720P is under 2GB in size, you WILL have this happen. This is how H264 / MP4 compression works.

As I wrote. I still have my 2012 Nexus with exactly the same video material (hiqh quality mkv) and there are no blocks in dark scenes. The video quality is great. With the new Nexus 7 the video playback looks even better but with those horrible macroblocks in dark screnes :(

Maybe Asus delivers it with displays from different vendors. One good and one bad... :(

Mikexx

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
I still have my 2012 Nexus 7 and there is no macroblocking in dark scenes at all!! Same videos, same quality. The overal video quality with the new Nexus 7 is better. But the horrible macroblockings in dark scenes is horrible :(

JakRox

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Mikexx
I too have played the same video on several devices. The Note 1 and new Nexus 7 2013 have terrible blocking in the dark scenes. My original Nexus 7 and Note 2 do not have the same problem. Two different screen sizes, same result.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800