Power draining report - really not bad at all to me

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I was comparing relative power draining rates. Overnight, while sleeping the Nexus 7 drops about 5% in battery, while my iPad 2 drops 1%. But all the notifications and whatnot are set differently so I'm comparing Apples, as it were, and oranges. I don't think the Nexus 7 is too much of a power eater. My older Optimus LG 7, running Android 2.3, which I just use for mobile testing, and which has almost no apps installed, drains 50% overnight! So the Nexus 7 seems pretty good so far to me.

doug

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that comparison. Your Optimus sounds like it's messed up, though, or maybe it's just an old battery ...

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for that comparison. Your Optimus sounds like it's messed up, though, or maybe it's just an old battery ...

No - I got it new. It's always been a huge huge power hog. Fortunately my customer paid for it, and I only use it for testing their mobile site I created for them, so rarely have to use it. But it has always been a power drain-a-matic. I think they discontinued this model after about 4 months.

doug

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I was comparing relative power draining rates. Overnight, while sleeping the Nexus 7 drops about 5% in battery, while my iPad 2 drops 1%. But all the notifications and whatnot are set differently so I'm comparing Apples, as it were, and oranges. I don't think the Nexus 7 is too much of a power eater. My older Optimus LG 7, running Android 2.3, which I just use for mobile testing, and which has almost no apps installed, drains 50% overnight! So the Nexus 7 seems pretty good so far to me.

doug

I have the same exact battery drain on each device. IPad 3 in my case. But if you think about it, thats a huge difference. Honestly I don't even remember the last time I have charged my iPad, possibly since I got my nexus 7 two weeks ago. I've used the iPad on and off in that time and it still has 10% left. If I were to use the nexus 7 with the same usage and time period, it would have been dead at least two times over.

Posted via Android Central App

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I have the same exact battery drain on each device. IPad 3 in my case. But if you think about it, thats a huge difference. Honestly I don't even remember the last time I have charged my iPad, possibly since I got my nexus 7 two weeks ago. I've used the iPad on and off in that time and it still has 10% left. If I were to use the nexus 7 with the same usage and time period, it would have been dead at least two times over.

I can go two weeks or more with my iPad 2 before getting the "you haven't backed up in 2 weeks warning" so even though there is still plenty of charge left I plug it in and let it backup.

But I think that's more of an indication of how little I use the iPad 2. Basically I don't go anywhere. :)

So if I'm just sitting here, it's usually easier to just pick up my iPhone than the iPad 2, which is a bit too big and heavy for casual use. That's one of the reasons I was interested in trying the Nexus.

I can see with the Nexus that if I use it a lot I would have to charge it at least daily, like I do my iPhone 5. But that's probably true with my iPad 2 as well. But you're right, that is a big difference. I slept 7 hours. So just roughly, the Nexus 7 would lose about 15% of its power over one day just sitting there.

But it's not just sitting there. It beeps at me whenever a notification arrives, and I have more notifications turned on for it than I do for my iPad. For example, every time a mail arrives it beeps. I'm sure all that checking is using power. So it's not a straight comparison really.

doug

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Your thread was timely. I was going to start a thread on this very subject to ask the question "what does this battery report tell me regarding the quick drop right after it was charged?"

Screenshot_2013-08-17-07-56-33_zpse6a1b02e.png

Direct Link: http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn71/pizzaboy199/Screenshot_2013-08-17-07-56-33_zpse6a1b02e.png

Notice the big drop on the left to about 67%? Mine dropped a lot more than 5% overnight if you consider the # of hours and the fact that it is at 40%...

Also, I think the scale is messed up. When I took this screen shot I was a 40% but the graph makes it look like I was a 50%ish.

Here is the report on what drained the battery:

Screenshot_2013-08-17-08-08-13_zps5a57a57e.png

Direct Link: http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn71/pizzaboy199/Screenshot_2013-08-17-08-08-13_zps5a57a57e.png

Thanks for any insights...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
The past two nights I intentionally left it off the charger while I was sleeping. It dropped 2% in 7 hours and 3% in 9 hours. One night last week it dropped 1% in about 7 hours with wifi turned off while n7 was in sleep.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Obviously having WiFi on with things syncing are going to make your battery drain more overnight. The thing is though, I think the iPad stops syncing after a while of inactivity because when I turn it on after a while, all the notifications pop up then. The nexus 7 does not work that way. It'll constantly sync everything as it comes in. Which means more wakelocks and more battery drain. I guess just turning off the WiFi would solve that problem although I know I'll forget to.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
You can go to overflow menu (three dots) under wifi settings, select Advanced, and set your policy - keep wifi on during sleep, always on during sleep, never on during sleep, or only when plugged in during sleep. One of those three options probably meets the way you typically roll.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Sure! If you're not putting it to sleep and then using it a few minutes later (like I tend to do when I first get a new toy) many times per day, you can probably save about 10% per day by having wifi off while it sleeps.

Mine reconnects to wifi pretty quickly, but maybe not quickly enough for some folks tastes.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I'll have to try it when I get home. I don't mind waiting a couple seconds or so to connect when I use it. If it'll save battery that's what I care about!

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I left it on but didn't use it since the last charge last evening. Right now it is reporting:

14h 1m 22s on battery

and is 95% charged.

I really think just a 5% drop in charge over 14 hours is pretty reasonable. Especially considering that it continued to do things in the background, like give FaceBook notifications and other stuff my iPad is not doing.

If I turned off all the notifications (that is possible, right?) like I mostly do on my iPad 2 which dropped 2% during the same time period I have a feeling the battery drain would be about the same.

In other words, I'm not sensing that there is any problem.

doug

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it's definitely possible to turn off notifications. I'm not aware of a global system setting to turn them off (you can turn off sound and led for notifications globally, but they continue to be delivered), but you can turn them off by app.

rxnelson

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Be better to just put it in airplane or have WiFi off when sleeping? Turning notifications off would just stop the notifications wouldn't it? It would still be doing 'stuff' in the background, just not notifying you?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that's really good. Wish I could say the same about mine. Slept 7 hours and it dropped 5%. That's with the WiFi set to turn off during sleep, but to my surprise, it didn't. It stayed on the whole time.

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah that's really good. Wish I could say the same about mine. Slept 7 hours and it dropped 5%. That's with the WiFi set to turn off during sleep, but to my surprise, it didn't. It stayed on the whole time.

That's strange, since mine can sleep for 8 hours with WiFi on, and it only will lose about 1-2% battery.

Posted from the incredible new Nexus 7