Multi touch screen software or hardware related? Plugging in the charger fixed the problem for me?

mikemike162012

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Okay now I'm kind of gearing toward this multi touch problem toward software.... the reason being when plugged into the charging it works fine. Only when on battery it start to have that problem and jiggles. So, I agree with this hypothesis:

" several reports claim the problem stems from Google's second and most recent over the-air-update with the build number JSS15J.

The report - as well a You Tube video by user bobafuzz which documents the issue - suggest some thing about the software build modified the tuning of the touchscreen digitizer, possibly reducing the electrical current too much while on battery power.

--strange why others on build number JSS15J don't have this problem? Could it be that when they update to JSS15J they had their device plugged in the charger?

Just some hypotheseis, what do you guys think? And to those without any issue, did you update plugging in your charger or battery?

I did mine on battery and got the multi touch bug, would like some statistics please to trace the root of the problem.

mikemike162012

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Another thought, if not plugging in the charger to be the case when updated it to build JSS15J caused the Multi Touch problem. We can easily test that out if we can have an developer (user) with an Nexus 7 2013 which has the Multi Touch problem. Have him unlock the device, and re-flash stock build JSS15J this time, while he have his charger plugged in to see if that would fix the short circuit causing the Multi Touch screen... can we go this path to try it?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
For many people the multi-touch issue goes away if they
  • touch the nexus 7 case or bezel with their other hand (ie hold the tablet rather than lay it on the table)
  • connect USB to computer
  • connect USB to charger
This is the case on both JWR66N and JSS15J

I have tested units that have the multi-touch issues and ones that don't. The ones that don't are consistent, they neither have it in JWR66N nor in JSS15J, regardless of whether they were plugged in during the upgrade. The ones that have it slightly in JWR66N become more noticeable in JSS15J.

mikemike162012

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
  • touch the nexus 7 case or bezel with their other hand (ie hold the tablet rather than lay it on the table)
  • connect USB to charger

I have tested units that have the multi-touch issues and ones that don't. The ones that don't are consistent, they neither have it in JWR66N nor in JSS15J, regardless of whether they were plugged in during the upgrade. The ones that have it slightly in JWR66N become more noticeable in JSS15J.

Thanks for your input. I had gone over XDA today and read thru the whole thread just to get more info. on the issue. You gave an interesting theory regarding the voltage factor and I tend to lean towards that assumption as when I plugged in my charger the problem seem to disappear for a while and comes back randomly (more when battery drop below 30%). Also that statement from google that the new nexus has an smaller battery but last just as long, if not longer because of greater efficiency blah blah something along the line ring some bell. I shall wait another week before I decide if I want to return the device. I'm sure google and Asus is still investigation and probable won't be any fix for weeks... hope I can be proven wrong tho.

Tempted to revert back to JWR66V but safer to just wait for news.

Gauhar Mahmood Azeem

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
i read an article by a software engineer who mentions how it seems to be the charge developed by the nexus when fingers touch them, that is the problem. says it's a software issue and will go away when they adjust the charges

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
  • connect USB to charger

If I have to go to my computer then I don't need a tablet...

mikemike162012

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
To be more precise, most of the touch scree issue will go away when plugged in, not all like first thought. I will be returning the tablet next week if no fixes by then.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The multi touch function, as well as the rest of the touch functions are directly controlled by the kernel, as it is ran using a set of drivers in the kernel.

So yes it is a software problem. 3rd party kernels will most likely fix the issue, and Google will probably fix it in the next software update.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

mikemike162012

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
The multi touch function, as well as the rest of the touch functions are directly controlled by the kernel, as it is ran using a set of drivers in the kernel.

So yes it is a software problem. 3rd party kernels will most likely fix the issue, and Google will probably fix it in the next software update.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

But then why some device have no such issue at all?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Not knowing the root cause, saying there will be a software fix is just speculation.

Clearly there are hardware variances on the touch screen and/or touch screen assembly. I can imagine scenarios where this can be accounted for in software and scenarios where it can't. I can imagine fixes that improve for some but make worse for others. Really more info about the root cause is needed or Google needs to make a statement.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08