WiFi stuck "turning on"

ZephyrsDream

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I was charging my Nexus 7 and unplugged it. Started booting and it got stuck on the Nexus "X". Held down the power button and rebooted again, only now my WiFi is completely gone, even the symbol isn't there, nor the outline of the symbol when it's in off mode.

I go into settings to toggle it on and the button is greyed out, I am not able to toggle it on and off. When I click on WiFi it just says "turning WiFi on" like it's stuck or something. I've tried going into the advanced settings to play around with WiFi optimization and the like but to no avail. I'm really trying to avoid doing a factory reset. Any help?

20130818_165622.jpg

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• 20130818_165609.jpg
    20130818_165609.jpg
    463.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 20130818_165622.jpg
    20130818_165622.jpg
    496.8 KB · Views: 125
  • 20130818_165653.jpg
    20130818_165653.jpg
    536.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 20130818_165711.jpg
    20130818_165711.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

ZephyrsDream

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Thanks, Ronnie. I ended up doing a factory reset even though I didn't want to. It was a really strange thing to happen. Made me think that when I powered it off from the boot loop and powered it back on, some data may have gotten corrupted.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Asus_Fred

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, Ronnie. I ended up doing a factory reset even though I didn't want to. It was a really strange thing to happen. Made me think that when I powered it off from the boot loop and powered it back on, some data may have gotten corrupted.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Did the reset resolve the issue? If it did not you can let me know directly and we can further troubleshoot it. (direct contact cl-fred@asus.com)

nctam

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Are you using Nexus 7 2nd gen (2013)? I have the same problem but factory reset didnt help :(
Should i reflash it?
Thanks for any helps!

ZephyrsDream

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Are you using Nexus 7 2nd gen (2013)? I have the same problem but factory reset didnt help :(
Should i reflash it?
Thanks for any helps!

Yes, I have a 2013 Nexus 7. And I did do a factory reset and it helped. I would suggest re-flashing it or exchanging for a new one.

Goodeye

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
My mother had a similar issue with connecting via WiFi on her N7 2012. She is on the latest 4.3 update.

This was fixed by going into the time settings and changing the "use network time" option. Sure enough it worked. Only thing I could think of is it was trying to poll for the time and/date as it was connecting and causing a problem. Sounds odd but it worked

nctam

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
My mother had a similar issue with connecting via WiFi on her N7 2012. She is on the latest 4.3 update.

This was fixed by going into the time settings and changing the "use network time" option. Sure enough it worked. Only thing I could think of is it was trying to poll for the time and/date as it was connecting and causing a problem. Sounds odd but it worked

I also changed the "use network time" option before the Wifi got problem. But I didn't try to toggle this option before doing the hard reset. Now my Nexus 7 2013 stuck in the "Turning on WiFi" screen. :(

usmcfabian

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I also changed the "use network time" option before the Wifi got problem. But I didn't try to toggle this option before doing the hard reset. Now my Nexus 7 2013 stuck in the "Turning on WiFi" screen. :(

Did you get this problem fixed? Im having the same problem after a reset.

raikkoni27

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Did you get this problem fixed? Im having the same problem after a reset.

even i'm facing the same issue on galaxy nexus. factory resetted and it didn't work. i even flashed stock rom image and it hasn't worked as well.. it was running fine for over a year
has anyone been able to get any workaround for this?

christopherod7

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
my anderoid 4.1 jelly bean is not working at all. launcher has stopped working, gmail has stopped working, it wont pick up wifi, etc. i've tried resetting but nothing works. any help???

kehindekenneth

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
can anyone asit please?
Something strange started happening to my Tablet (AK28) yesterday, 9th Dec. Whenever I switch on the WiFi, it stays on, and displays "Turning Wi-Fi on...", but after a while, it returns to off position, while the display still shows "Turning Wi-Fi on...".

I experience the same issue whenever I switch on the bluetooth. Factory reset could not solve the problem. Kindly advise me on what to do.

deny-dz

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I also have the same problem on my L9 p760
I have also tried factory reset , hard reset and reflash the lastest oficial version of JB and ... the problem still persist ..

Could anyone help us with a viewpoint ?

Thanks !

Cory Allen

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
My STAR N9389 running 4.2.1 started doing this. I removed the Micros SD card and everything went back to normal. WIfi turned on.

I put the 16GB Micro SD back in the phone. Moved all apps to the internal storage.

Made a backup copy of the card on my PC.

Formatted the Micro SD. Copied my pictures, music, etc back to the Micro SD, put it back in the phone and everything is working normally again.

I started moving the apps back to the Micro SD and the problems stated again. I assume it's a bad card.

monty6630

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I was charging my Nexus 7 and unplugged it. Started booting and it got stuck on the Nexus "X". Held down the power button and rebooted again, only now my WiFi is completely gone, even the symbol isn't there, nor the outline of the symbol when it's in off mode.

I go into settings to toggle it on and the button is greyed out, I am not able to toggle it on and off. When I click on WiFi it just says "turning WiFi on" like it's stuck or something. I've tried going into the advanced settings to play around with WiFi optimization and the like but to no avail. I'm really trying to avoid doing a factory reset. Any help?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dd4cchckvnasirw/20130818_165622.jpg

Posted via Android Central App

Hey all,
After more than a week with NO WIFI, i have finally figured it out.
Here are the detailed.
ISSUE: After OTA update of 4.4.3 on new nexus 5, the phone was rebooted automatically and after reboot WIFI button was greyed out. It only showed "TURNING ON".
FAILED SOLUTION ATTEMPTS: Following step DID NOT HELP
1. Factory reset
2. Battery drain and recharge after full drain
3. Power off for few hours and restart
4. Whacking the set on palm (yes, whacking, it was a recommended solution on a thread)
5. Opened the handset and checked all the hardware link, every thing was fine
6. Bootloader unlock, recovery installation (TWRP), downgrade to 4.4.2 (downloaded from google's web page)
7. Downgrade to 4.4
8. OTA update from down graded firmware
9. Sideloading the 4.4.3 update on firmware 4.4.2
10. Rooting, and installation of custom ROM (slimKat, Cynaogen mod)
11. Installation of custom kernel (linaro)
12. Flashing of 4.4.2 & 4.4 Radio/Boot images on stock rom of 4.4.3
13. Clean install of 4.4.3 (removing everything from phone except recovery)
14. *#*#4636#*#*, goto wifi and restart.
15. *#*#4636#*#*, wifi state shown "UN-INITIALIZED"

Actual Solution that worked
***** Install Paranoid Android ROM on rooted Nexus 5. The issue is with Kernel , which control the HW/OS communication. Apparently Kernel of this ROM removed the issue (but installation of SlimKat/CyanogenMod/Custom Kernel).
I then restored the backup of stock 4.4.3 from recovery and did a factory reset. Wifi & every thing else works fine now *****