08-28-2013 12:02 AM
83 1234
tools
    I sync all of my photos to both Dropbox and Google+, but I take most of my photos with my Nexus 4. For Dropbox, I sync them to there because I burn them (pics and videos) to a DVD and store them in a fireproof safe. I then use Google+ because the auto-awesome is a pretty sweet feature and it is a nice way to keep all of your albums organized on the cloud.
    08-20-2013 09:47 AM
    It seems like Google Music Player is doing a decent job of syncing with selected playlists in iTunes. So I'm basically ok with that. I don't see any need to do anything with Box for that.

Why do you suggest Box for pictures? I have a Box account, but haven't done anything with it yet. It came with 50 GB which is the main reason I created the account. They are basically like DropBox, right?

You would think there would be a simple way to sync photo albums with Picasa, since it's such a long standing Google product. And there seems to be some sort of iPhoto plugin for Picasa, which I haven't investigated yet.

Thanks,

doug
    I'm I Canada so I can't use Googles sync software, how retarded.
    Both box and Dropbox are fully integrated into the file manager on my blackberry. box having the only advantage of auto uploading pictures. Android phones can also do this natively with Google drive I think but the idea here is to be flexible as I'm using a new blackberry. And Google has gone very apple these days and not made a single app for blackberry yet, let alone sync software. But box is on top of it
    08-20-2013 09:54 AM
    There is another option. Buy your movies on actual discs instead of digital versions, and rip them yourself, while also stripping out any copyright protection software on the discs (please note I'm not advocating this for resale or otherwise but for only personal use). Keep all of it stored on HDD and you'll now have a digital movie collection you can use on any device, from now on. It's not a convenient solution but it's one sure way to not be forced into ecosystem lock which is why I like it.
    Totally agree, IMO the cloud is overrated. Who says tomorrow the media companies won't impose new restrictions? Plus, I still like to have the high quality CD version for home use. The majority of my media consumption is on airplanes, tough to access the cloud from there. As well, removable media is cheap these days. I only use the cloud for a bit of Evernote and documents I may need in an emergency, in case I lose my electronics and paper documentation.
    08-20-2013 09:57 AM
    Thanks for the suggestion bug it it's not available in Canada. (Reconfirmed by trying the link)

We are just next door but ignored a lot. Likely because we are a small market with very different tax, royalty structures.

Also we typically pay more for the identical thing. Another reason i love the nexus programme is that the price is basically the same or within 10$ not counting shipping.

Now time for VPN learning. Can someone direct me to a good guide on how to do this.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    08-20-2013 10:28 AM
    Are you sure you need a PC for a backup? The screen snaps imply GoogleDrive or other cloud locations. To me this would be better than backing up to a PC.

Update. I just noticed you need pro version for cloud based backup. Still $5 seems pretty cheap for a little piece of mind so I bought it. Can't wait for the release with scheduled backups.

Posted via Android Central App
    Just watched the Helium vid (paid version) on the Google play store. You can direct your backup data to a cloud service like Box, but you still must be connected by USB to a PC first.

This will not work to me.
    1. I use my tablet(s)/phone for 98% of my computing.
    2. Even if I regularly did use a PC, having to add this daily backup chore is unacceptable. With iOS I simply charge my devices. Hard to forget to do that. The dead battery will remind me if nothing else.

I am also not sure about the Helium restore. If I lose or destroy my iPad, I simply buy a new one and during the initial setup screens there is an option to restore from an icloud backup. Select this, enter your apple id username and password and walk away. An hour or 3 later you have an *exact* replica of your dead device.

On my Nexus 7 I have kept it really simple.
    -Streaming apps like Netflix and a streaming music app.
    -Cloud apps like Dropbox and an ereader.
    -I have a simple text editor that saves to Drop box.

Before I download anything I ask if it will significantly make things easier for me. Skype for example. I have SkypeOut that gives me unlimited outgoing calls to land lines or cell phones. Was going to DL it to the Nexus, but decided not to since it works fine on the iphone that is pretty much always with me.

If this Nexus 7 were lost or destroyed, all I would lose is my Chrome bookmarks. I could deal with that by by turning on cloud sync for bookmarks I think, but wouldn't miss them if lost.

Again, I really like the Nexus 7, but without an integrated, automatic, complete back up solution I will never move my serious use to it
    08-20-2013 01:09 PM
    What about converting the iTunes movies with handbrake? I know that's a popular program for conversion.

Edit: Handbrake doesn't get rid of DRM it seems. Here's a link for Lifehacker that gives other solutions to remove the DRM from the movie files though. How to Remove DRM from iTunes Video Purchases and Rentals
    08-20-2013 01:44 PM
    I am also not sure about the Helium restore. If I lose or destroy my iPad, I simply buy a new one and during the initial setup screens there is an option to restore from an icloud backup. Select this, enter your apple id username and password and walk away. An hour or 3 later you have an *exact* replica of your dead device.
    I agree that Android is missing a good backup solution, but having used iCloud restore it isn't quite that seamless. iCloud backup doesn't grab any of your music, video, or apps. It will backup the app data, though, and all the other info should be in iCloud already (you just have to tell it to download the content manually). Having recent restored from an iCloud backup it's a nice solution (and better than I've been able to do on Android so far), but an exact restore it is not.
    08-20-2013 02:18 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion bug it it's not available in Canada. (Reconfirmed by trying the link)

We are just next door but ignored a lot. Likely because we are a small market with very different tax, royalty structures.

Also we typically pay more for the identical thing. Another reason i love the nexus programme is that the price is basically the same or within 10$ not counting shipping.

Now time for VPN learning. Can someone direct me to a good guide on how to do this.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    I use a company called StrongVpn. It's about $50/yr but well worth it. Reliable, fast, good service. I can email you a referral invite if you like and I think we both get some discount on renewals that way.

I use it also for Netflix and Hulu streaming.

Doug
    08-20-2013 06:15 PM
    I agree that Android is missing a good backup solution, but having used iCloud restore it isn't quite that seamless. iCloud backup doesn't grab any of your music, video, or apps. It will backup the app data, though, and all the other info should be in iCloud already (you just have to tell it to download the content manually). Having recent restored from an iCloud backup it's a nice solution (and better than I've been able to do on Android so far), but an exact restore it is not.
    I agree about iCloud restore not being complete. It's also good to do a complete, encrypted backup on your Mac via iTunes. That is in fact a complete perfect restore, including network settings and the position of each app icon. I did a backup like that recently before exchanging an iPhone 5 which developed a hardware problem. Restore to the new iPhone was quick and 100%. You can always do one manually even if backing up important data automatically via iCloud.

Doug
    08-20-2013 06:21 PM
    With regards to the backup/restore issue I have some positive news for Mac (and also PC) owners. I started a different thread about that over here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...ml#post3009831

Doug
    08-20-2013 08:07 PM
    In regards to the wireless sync look into the free app called AirDroid Im not certain there might be a backup option too. I use Samsung Kies not sure if its only for Samsung but its a good itunes replacement.

Im so glad I broke free from Apples grip!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    08-20-2013 08:18 PM
    Im so glad I broke free from Apples grip!
    While I like using the Apple devices I have, I also feel somewhat "in their grip" - too much so. That was one of my reasons for getting the Nexus 7 - to see how much out of their grip I could get. It's not good to be wholly dependent on one company.

I don't think Google is any more benevolent than Apple, but there does seem to be more flexibility. And in addition to Google, there are more and more 3rd party cloud choices (Dropbox, Evernote, various shared drive solutions) and I do feel it's probably best and safest to use a combination of services rather than rely 100% on just one company.

doug
    08-20-2013 08:29 PM
    You are mistaken. The apps / music / video are not put in a backup file but upon restore, they are automatically downloaded from Apple. There is no manual intervention required at all.

The end result is an exact replica on my replacement device. I will note that I stream the vast majority of my media. The music and video that is actually on my device is purchased from Apple. If you are a ripper, you may need to figure out something else, but presumably you will have your original media in that case. I haven't had rotating media, mechanical or optical, for almost 2 years.

"The iCloud feature that backs up your important iOS device information daily over Wi-Fi. If you lose your device or buy a new one, its easy to restore the same information you had on your previous device.

Heres what iCloud backs up when your device is turned on, locked, and connected to a power source and Wi-Fi:

Purchased music, movies, TV shows, apps, and books

Photos and videos in your Camera Roll

Device settings

App data

Home screen and app organization

Messages (iMessage, SMS, and MMS)

Ringtones

Visual Voicemail"
    08-20-2013 09:33 PM
    I agree about iCloud restore not being complete. It's also good to do a complete, encrypted backup on your Mac via iTunes. That is in fact a complete perfect restore, including network settings and the position of each app icon. I did a backup like that recently before exchanging an iPhone 5 which developed a hardware problem. Restore to the new iPhone was quick and 100%. You can always do one manually even if backing up important data automatically via iCloud.

Doug
    I have restored twice to new iPhone hardware and once to new iPad hardware using iCloud backup. In all three cases I went to the Apple store, got the the replacement hardware, came home and started the restore. A couple of hours later I had perfect restores. All mail and settings from 3 accounts. Everything. The thing that surprised me the first time is that I have this password protected app to keep encrypted credit card numbers etc. I opened the app, typed the password and it opened up to show all the data perfectly preserved.

Perfect, complete restores all three times. That is peace of mind that is worth a lot to me.
    08-20-2013 09:46 PM
    I have restored twice to new iPhone hardware and once to new iPad hardware using iCloud backup. In all three cases I went to the Apple store, got the the replacement hardware, came home and started the restore. A couple of hours later I had perfect restores. All mail and settings from 3 accounts. Everything. The thing that surprised me the first time is that I have this password protected app to keep encrypted credit card numbers etc. I opened the app, typed the password and it opened up to show all the data perfectly preserved.

Perfect, complete restores all three times. That is peace of mind that is worth a lot to me.
    For some reason your experience is different from mine. When I restored from iCloud backups in the past there were many things different - icons were not in the same position, I needed to re-enter my wifi password and some other login information was lost.

However, when I restore from the encrypted manual backup on my computer is does turn out to be a 100% replicated restore.

I can't explain why my experience might be different from yours though.

In iTunes itself, with my iPhone 5 connected, for iCloud backup it just says, "Backup the most important data on your iPhone to iCloud." That doesn't sound like a complete backup to me. And just below it there is the option for backup to your computer instead where it says, "A full backup of your iPhone will be stored on this computer."

Those sound like two different levels of backup, which is what I experience as well.

doug
    08-20-2013 10:02 PM
    Google or Apple are both ecosystems in which you can be locked. If you are worried about that, apart from apps try to get your services from third parties. I use a Mac and an iPhone, but I use a nexus 7. My email is from Google, my docs are on SkyDrive, my books on kindle. I buy my music from iTunes and can get them over should I need to, but I don't usually listen to music on my tablet.

You can live between platforms. I like both, and refused to be tied completely to either.

Tapatalking on the N7....
    08-20-2013 10:13 PM
    For some reason your experience is different from mine. When I restored from iCloud backups in the past there were many things different - icons were not in the same position, I needed to re-enter my wifi password and some other login information was lost.

However, when I restore from the encrypted manual backup on my computer is does turn out to be a 100% replicated restore.

I can't explain why my experience might be different from yours though.

In iTunes itself, with my iPhone 5 connected, for iCloud backup it just says, "Backup the most important data on your iPhone to iCloud." That doesn't sound like a complete backup to me. And just below it there is the option for backup to your computer instead where it says, "A full backup of your iPhone will be stored on this computer."

Those sound like two different levels of backup, which is what I experience as well.

doug
    WiFi passwords and login information are "device settings" and are backed up.
    Icons in the same position are "Home screen and app organization" and are also backed up.

Sounds like you have a problem with your icloud backups. I would contact Apple support before you get bitten in an emergency.

Edit: Just noticed that you seem to connect your iPhone by USB to your computer and trigger an icloud backup from iTunes. Why don't you just set it up to automatically backup when connected to a charger? Shouldn't make a difference, but the sentence you quoted is not displayed in the direct iCloud backups I do nightly and that resulted in 3 perfect restores.

Note again that what little music and video I keep on my devices (big fan of streaming services) is purchased from Apple.
    08-20-2013 10:23 PM
    WiFi passwords and login information are "device settings" and are backed up.
    Icons in the same position are "Home screen and app organization" and are also backed up.

Sounds like you have a problem with your icloud backups. I would contact Apple support before you get bitten in an emergency.
    I actually did contact them. They told me what I mentioned: that "only the most important things are backed up" with an iCloud backup and that if restoring from that it is normal to have to re-enter such things as the wifi password and re-adjust the icon positions. What can I say? I don't know why your experience is different from mine.

Why do you suppose it says in the iTunes setting that one is a "backup of the most important data" and the other is "a full backup" if they truly are the same? And what about the free iCloud 5 GB limit?

In the latest iTunes "Help" it explains it this way:

When you connect your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to your computer, certain files and settings on your device are automatically backed up to your computer. You can restore this information to your device if you need to (if you get a new iPhone, for example, and want to transfer your previous settings to it).

Automatically backed-up information includes text messages, notes, call history, contact favorites, sound settings, widget settings, and more. In addition, photos in Camera Roll or Saved Photos are also backed up. Other media files (such as songs, videos, and some photos) arent backed up, but can be restored by syncing with iTunes
    That is my experience as well. I don't know why it is different from your experience. The only thing that occurs to me is that perhaps "the most important data" is all you are actually have on your device so it seems the same to you, while I simply have more stuff on my iPhone 5. That would explain the difference.

doug
    08-20-2013 10:33 PM
    I actually did contact them. They told me what I mentioned: that "only the most important things are backed up" with an iCloud backup and that if restoring from that it is normal to have to re-enter such things as the wifi password and re-adjust the icon positions. What can I say? I don't know why your experience is different from mine.

Why do you suppose it says in the iTunes setting that one is a "backup of the most important data" and the other is "a full backup" if they truly are the same? And what about the free iCloud 5 GB limit?

In the latest iTunes "Help" it explains it this way:

That is my experience as well. I don't know why it is different from your experience. The only thing that occurs to me is that perhaps "the most important data" is all you are actually have on your device so it seems the same to you, while I simply have more stuff on my iPhone 5. That would explain the difference.

doug
    Interesting that you keep quoting iTunes docs. In support doc PH2584 (iCloud: iCloud Backup), it clearly states that among other things:
    Device settings
    App data

are backed up. How do you reconcile your report of scrambled icon positions and lost passwords with that information? You can read the KB yourself and I also listed the backup categories a few posts prior to this. All that information, AKA all the information on my idevices (I do not keep non Apple music or videos on my devices, preferring to stream most material) is perfectly restored.

As far as Apple's less than generous 5 GB allowance (I pay for 10 GB extra), since apps, music and videos are all available directly from Apple during a restore, that keeps the backup size down. Vids can be several GB and individual apps can be over a GB as well.
    08-20-2013 11:04 PM
    Interesting that you keep quoting iTunes docs. In support doc PH2584 (iCloud: iCloud Backup), it clearly states that among other things:
    Device settings
    App data

are backed up. How do you reconcile your report of scrambled icon positions and lost passwords with that information? You can read the KB yourself and I also listed the backup categories a few posts prior to this. All that information, AKA all the information on my idevices (I do not keep non Apple music or videos on my devices, preferring to stream most material) is perfectly restored.

As far as Apple's less than generous 5 GB allowance (I pay for 10 GB extra), since apps, music and videos are all available directly from Apple during a restore, that keeps the backup size down. Vids can be several GB and individual apps can be over a GB as well.
    Well, maybe it's changed since I last tried a restore from iCloud backup. That could also explain it. Still, inside the latest iTunes why does the iCloud option specifically say "backup of the most important data" while the backup to your computer say "a full backup"? Why don't both say "a full backup" if it's a full backup? There must be some distinction, don't you think?

Doug
    08-20-2013 11:34 PM
    All that information, AKA all the information on my idevices (I do not keep non Apple music or videos on my devices, preferring to stream most material) is perfectly restored.
    Well, I called Apple to try to settle it. Maybe Apple phone support is as bad as Google phone support sometimes because the tech person had to go back and forth and "check with somebody several times" but she said the difference is that iCloud backups do not back up several things, such as non-Apple-purchased music or videos, and some other items, whereas the full backup will backup everything on your iPhone 5. So it certainly can't hurt to keep a full back too from time to time. I would certainly recommend it before a device change (if possible).

You mentioned you do not keep non Apple music on your device, which might explain why it seems all ok to you. Most of my music actually came from CD imports. So in my case there could be a large difference. Certainly before a device change I would want to do a complete backup on my computer and not depend on iCloud to restore everything. (It's also way faster for a complete restore - but that's a different topic).

There was something else not backed up in iCloud I didn't catch, something about "initially synchronized photos from your computer" - but I'm not sure what she meant by that and am not sure she understood either. However, there is a distinction between what is backed up via iCloud and via the full backup to your computer.

When I upgraded from my iPhone 4 to my iPhone 5 I initially tried to restore from my iCloud backup and it was taking forever and clearly not getting everything. So I did a full backup of my iPhone 4 onto my computer and restored that to my new iPhone 5 and all was well.

But since this is the Nexus 7 2013 forum, just getting back to my original point since discovering that the Nexus also makes cloud backups of "mostly everything" in a way that makes it "not too difficult to recover," while I admit the iTunes solution, even with iCloud, is better and more comprehensive, the backup issue doesn't seem to be a serious, show-stopper issue to me anymore as regards the Nexus 7.

doug
    08-21-2013 12:04 AM
    The lack of a built-in, complete backup scheme similar to what iTunes offers is infuriating. WTF is wrong with you, Google? Can't you take what's good about iOS and duplicate it in Android?

On my Galaxy S3, I have root and Titanium Backup Pro, and do not trust that it will do what I need it to if/when I need a backup. There are too many options. On iTunes, there is one: "Backup." If you restore to a phone that had to have a factory reset, or a phone that was replaced, it's "your" phone again as soon as the restore is complete. I don't even have the time to try to figure out how to reliably accomplish that with Titanium, and I have no desire to root my N7.

Infuriating.
    GadgetGator likes this.
    08-21-2013 01:19 AM

I gotta agree. I have used every iPhone since the original except for the iPhone 5 and now I also have an iPad Mini. Only in the very beginning early months of that original iPhone did I have partial backup restored. I don't know what happened but it has not happened since. I have text messages on my current iPhone going all the back to July of 2007.

Like douglerner, I have a pretty nice collection of movies, 212 of them now and a huge collection of TV shows. I don't have cable TV or Satellite and don't want to pay $75 per month to watch 2-3 channels when I was already buying my weekly shows in iTunes. I have always preferred to do this and will continue to do so.

I also bought a Nexus 7 to finally get that Android experience but I likely would never have bought it had I bought an iPad Mini first. I like my Mini that much, it's an amazing device to me. My two iPhones are unlocked just as the Mini is so I can use them on any GSM carrier and I like that My Nexus 7 and Nexus 4 are as well. I like that freedom almost as I like that I can add whatever I want on the Nexus devices that I have but I also don't mind having to use iTunes for my iPhones/iPad.

I have a program that I bought for my Mac called Tune4Mac iTunes video converter. It will take any iTunes purchased movie and TV show and convert it to another format minus the copyright protection so that it can be played on anything. It works very well, the quality is pretty much identical to the original and the file sizes sometime are the same but sometimes smaller. It's a paid app. Maybe that will help you with the purchases.
    08-21-2013 01:47 AM
    Right. I want to be able to sync some things like photos (and preserve photo albums) and music. And it would be really reassuring to have a standard way of backing up and restoring. But inside my Nexus I am perfectly happy with "letting it be a Nexus."

doug
    You can use cloud storage to sync the files on the 2 devices.

I sync my photos from the imac to the smartphone using "copy"
    08-21-2013 02:02 AM
    You can use cloud storage to sync the files on the 2 devices.

I sync my photos from the imac to the smartphone using "copy"
    The only thing about using cloud storage is that my photo albums are in iPhoto. So I have to export the albums from iPhoto to the cloud storage (e.g. a Dropbox folder) which duplicates content. But perhaps I can give up iPhoto and use Picasa instead, or something else for photo management.

I'm surprised nobody talked about Picasa here. I thought that was the main Google photo management application. Is that not true anymore?

doug
    08-21-2013 02:51 AM
83 1234