Just got an Google Nexus 7, first time with Android. Must have apps?

GKDAIR

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm completely new to Android and I need some must have apps.

What are some apps that allow me to customize or theme my device, I've seen some awesome designs and I would like to be able to make them.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

What are some apps that allow me to customize or theme my device, I've seen some awesome designs and I would like to be able to make them.

Paid:
Swiftkey
Action Launcher
Blitz Block Robo
infinite
Pocket Casts
Riptide GP 2
Root Explorer (if/when you root)

Free:
Android Central (of course)
Carbon (twitter)
Chrome Beta
dots
Drive
Dropbox
Fing
G+
Mobile Nations forum app
Netflix

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
For customizing your device, I fully recommend the following.

Launchers:
Nova Launcher
Smart Launcher

Widgets:
Zooper Widget
UCCW

Notification sounds:
Zedge

Wallpapers:
Picspeed Wallpapers

Some must have apps for me are Aviary for picture editing, Pandora for music, unless you want to give Play Music a try, which is AWESOME, and of course the android central app and android central forums app. :)

GKDAIR

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm so overwhelmed by the customization options. Anybody have any tips?

I found this amazing Galaxy Live wallpaper that I adore, I can't seem to think of anything creative however.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

I found this amazing Galaxy Live wallpaper that I adore, I can't seem to think of anything creative however.

Yeah, don't try to go super crazy with customization right away, but figure out what you do/would/could find useful. As you have free time, look into some things, but I would hold off on any paid apps for customization until you know what's out there. Easy to pay for something, find out it doesn't do what you wanted or thought it did, and end up never using it (speaking from experience). Personally, I use a few added widgets, and that's about it. Most of the usefulness comes from organizing things so you know where they are & can get to the most used stuff quickly.

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site

Show off graphic capabilities:
Paper Monsters
Real Racing 3
Riptide GP 2
ShadowGun: Dead Zone
Zombie HQ

Essentials:
ChromeCast
Quickoffice or OfficeSuite
File Manager or Astro File Manager

J

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

1. Start small and simple. Try a new launcher like Nova Launcher, which provides a stock Android look while allowing you to customize things (like removing the persistent search bar, changing scrolling behavior, etc.)
  2. Look at the various theme packs for your launcher. Many of them are compatible with several (Nova, Apex, Go, etc.) and can quickly and easily give your device a whole new look with a few quick settings changes. Plenty of good free ones out there, don't pay unless you fall in love with something.
  3. Check out new widgets for important info or things you use a lot, like the calendar. Personally I'm a fan of Beautiful Widgets for clocks and weather as it has a wide variety of downloadable themes, but there are a ton out there (HD Widgets is also good).
  4. Download some new wallpapers, or live wallpapers for something fancy. Again there are a ton of options, and with a cloud service like Dropbox, Drive, or Box you can use practically any image you find on the web. Some will look better than others of course, but experiment. The various launchers usually come with some wallpapers, and have additional options for cropping and how your wallpaper behaves.
  5. Once you're comfortable with all this, dive into the world of custom widgets. Things like UCCW, WidgetLocker, Widgetsoid, and Minimalistic Text all give you the power to make incredibly varied and customized looks for your homescreens and lockscreen. If you need ideas, browse one of the many homescreen threads here or on other forums. Most people are happy to share what apps, widgets, and wallpapers they used to achieve a certain look.

Good luck and have fun!