Power Off

JDA54669

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
How often should the device be actually turned off? Do some leave it on and just let it sleep?

Posted via Android Central App

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
How often should the device be actually turned off? Do some leave it on and just let it sleep?

I usually turn mine off maybe twice a week or so...(i.e. when I charge it) You don't need to turn the device off, but I think it's always a good idea to do it as in a way you are re-booting the system each time you turn the device off.
I've had my phone for example for weeks without powering off.... It's your choice...

Asus_Fred

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
There isn't any restriction on leaving the unit on all the time. So leave it on but on sleep or turn it off completely its up to the user.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
They're made with leaving them on all the time in mind, no need to turn them off to charge, or at night, etc. I only turn mine off if I need to restart for some reason (clear a glitch, install an update). If you were not going to use it for a considerable amount of time (weeks, etc), then I'd probably turn it off, but otherwise I don't see any reason to.

JDA54669

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies...... So it's not like a PC where shutting down processes from time to time help it run more efficiently?

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies...... So it's not like a PC where shutting down processes from time to time help it run more efficiently?

Android will pretty much take care of that for you. I've had several android devices and always keep them on while charging at night, or not using them, etc. No need to really. Just keep the sucker charged and use away!:)

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

A reboot can sometimes help if there is a glitch, but it's not really something that's needed as a "preventative maintenance" kind of thing.

Joe Joejoe

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I think it's good to reboot at least once a day to clear out any garbage in the memory. android is notorious for keeping data in memory for quick access....but the I/O rates on the new nexus 7 are good enough to where you don't need to keep data in memory from recently used apps. obviously the more cache you keep in memory, the more power it's going to sap from having to constantly refresh it to stay in memory.

but I usually don't leave my device off, I just reboot and plug it in and let it sleep when I'm not using it.

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I think it's good to reboot at least once a day to clear out any garbage in the memory. android is notorious for keeping data in memory for quick access....but the I/O rates on the new nexus 7 are good enough to where you don't need to keep data in memory from recently used apps. obviously the more cache you keep in memory, the more power it's going to sap from having to constantly refresh it to stay in memory.

but I usually don't leave my device off, I just reboot and plug it in and let it sleep when I'm not using it.

Android 4.3 is pretty good about cleaning out the excess 'garbage'. There really is no need to reboot ever, unless you need to for something like an update, or something.

Posted from the incredible new Nexus 7

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, mine only gets turned off on airplanes (yeah, I obey the rules). the only other time would be a reboot for one reason or another.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar