Anyone naked?

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
As you point out the case spreads out the impulse force from the impact. That decrease the magnitude of the impulse force at any point on the screen. Further, any padding in the case decreases the impulse force by deforming. The net result is that at a point on the screen sees less force and is less likely to be deform beyond it's elastic limits and fracture.

I invested 20 skill points into force field to counter that.

Joe Joejoe

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
As you point out the case spreads out the impulse force from the impact. That decrease the magnitude of the impulse force at any point on the screen. Further, any padding in the case decreases the impulse force by deforming. The net result is that at a point on the screen sees less force and is less likely to be deform beyond it's elastic limits and fracture.

the screens yes -- to a point. but the internals -- NO. the reason being, is that there is no slowed deceleration. when a person jumps off of a building onto an inflated landing zone, they are decelerated. wrap that same person in a bunch of pillows only, and they're still going to get killed or hurt badly. there is no substantial deceleration. wrapping a tablet in a case, is like the pillow scenario....only to a much lesser extent. that is why cases are primarily meant to protect from abrasion, not falls. cases do not offer any protection beyond abrasion, from a physics standpoint.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I'd still rather have my tpu gel case corners make contact with my porcelain tile kitchen floor than the corners of my tablet or phone. I've had this happen with my phones a number of times. Without a case, dents or cracks. With a case, no visible damage.

Posted via Android Central App

techiecappydog

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I use armor suit screen protector on mine and also the armor suit graphite back skin. I myself believe in screen protection on all my tablets. I work too hard for them and don't want to take the chance of scratches or such. I don't have a problem with touch on any of them. If you buy a quality product you will be happy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

ExceptforKhloe

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
No case, no screen protector, none of that. I tend to keep all my devices that way, though I do have a carbon fiber adhesive backing on my One right now. I also have a couple broken Nexus 4's around, and a friend put a noticeable half-inch scratch into the new Nexus 7's glass a week after I got it. If there's a sign I should use cases/protectors, I'm pretty sure those qualify.

But oh well. Caseless it will be.

BrandonEnr7

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
On my phone I still tend to put a screen protector and case cause it is just habit.

For my new Nexus 7, I don't have any screen protector at all and a flip cover case that is only used for when I take it with me outside of my house. While home, I walk around with no screen protector or even case.

Joe Joejoe

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I think you have to be really careless to scratch the nexus 7's screen.

but of course I see people on youtube videos all the time placing tablets on tables screen down (why!?!), standing them up and letting them fall flat, letting their cats with sharp claws paw at moving game objects, etc. I'd say most damage to tablet screens, are pure negligence.

I do however have some tiny nicks in the plastic border, which really isn't due to mishandling, but rather because it's just soft plastic and very easily damaged. my tablet never bumps or comes into contact with anything but my hands, and it's generally used on clothe or cushioned surfaces. so I can't really explain the nicks other than the plastic border is really weak.

I bet if most people look close enough, they'll notice these same tiny nicks, either now or eventually. I think a year from now, most people will notice this issue and the device will be known to be prone to that sort of wear and tear. but I don't really care about the border as long as the screen is scratch free.....and so far, it is.

I have however noticed, what I believe to be a manufacturing issue with the screen. i noticed the glass is kind of sunken over the screen area but raised over the bezel area, and the disparity between the borders and glass is uneven compared to the four corners. granted, by a very small hair thin margin, but I can tell it both by touch (sometimes) and visually when viewing it from the side at an extreme angle. but, the plastic border is always raised higher than glass, so it's not really an issue. but near the corners, it is almost virtually flush.

if you turn the device off and treat it like a mirror, look at the reflections you might notice along the borders that reflections are slightly warped in some areas at some angles.that indicates the screen is not 100% flat.

Last edited:

Rich215

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I think you have to be really careless to scratch the nexus 7's screen.

but of course I see people on youtube videos all the time placing tablets on tables screen down (why!?!), standing them up and letting them fall flat, letting their cats with sharp claws paw at moving game objects, etc. I'd say most damage to tablet screens, are pure negligence.

No kidding....I can not believe what I see on youtube with reviews and such.....I know many that do them have the units on loan only....but man the way some people treat these devices is unreal.

Getting back to the OP......I find the naked N7 to be very slippery and would not think to use it as such.

The Poetic Graph case was a total letdown as far as grip goes for a soft type wrap goes. Id like a BobjGear one I think, (wont be out till mid Oct) especially for playing games and having something to hang on to in landscape mode keeping my fingers and thumb off the screen while playing. I am using a Moko Fit case and find the tablet slipping from the top 2 claws in the open slots position (landscape) when I play games and hold it up in my hands. The old N7 back was much better for a non-slip material. I would love to have a rubber back cover like some of the windows phones had (that blue HTC one?). But the extra protection of the claw cases is nice...and the Moko one is better than the Bluerex version I had for protection.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams