iPad or Nexus 7 - which has the best user interface? I choose the Nexus as the winner.

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
As a long time Mac, iPhone and iPad user, one of my biggest questions was this - which device offers the best user experience, the best UI, the best OS?

After using my new Nexus 7 for over a week now, I really have to say that the winner is the Nexus 7 running Android 4.3.

I am surprised to admit this, being a long time iOS user. But the Android UI is just friendlier and easier to use on the Nexus 7. Of course there are things which users of one OS just prefer, and some things are conceptually different between the Nexus and iPad, so I'm sure other iPad users might disagree with me. But in addition to being the more open and customizable system, there really are some objective UI advantages to Android 4.3 on the Nexus 7 over iOS 6 on the iPad or iPhone.

One major difference for me are the three soft buttons on the Nexus (which rotate with the screen) for

(1) Go back,
(2) Go to the home screen and
(3) Go to recent apps (multitasking).

On the iPad you have one fixed hardware button which accomplishes both (2) and (3). Though it doesn't do (3) nearly as well as the Nexus.

Pressing the recent apps button gives you easy multitasking access to your recent apps with previews of what's going on in them. It's easier to jump between apps than with the double-click of the hardware iPhone/iPad home button. And it's easier to slide away apps. This is a feature iOS 7 will be basically stealing from Android. But I still prefer the soft button. I've had problems with my hardware home button on all three iPhones I owned, and the access is easier and more reliable with this dedicated soft button. And as I mentioned, the soft buttons rotate with the device, while the iPhone/iPad button is fixed.

The back button is especially useful and the iPad has nothing equivalent It provides a consistent UI that works throughout Android settings and apps. It's a convenient way to go back to where you were, and keep going back as needed. Surprisingly, there just is no consistent, similar feature in iOS on the iPad/iPhone. In iOS, different apps have different ways of getting back to where you were. This is just clearly easier and more unified on Nexus 7. I can't emphasize enough how useful the back button is. It works in all the settings and apps. For example, in the FaceBook app it is so much easier to go back to where you were from comments and notifications than it is on the iPad. Think about it. You can go from a notification to a comment and back to the notifications, etc. Much easier than the iOS version. And the key point is that it works the same way in all the apps and settings. It's a reassuring, always available time-saver.

Now let's talk about sharing. There are many many more sharing options in Android in most apps, probably due to the more open nature of the system. And the settings are easier to find, because they tend to be in consistent places, consistent symbols indicating sharing and settings. When I go from my Nexus to my iPad I immediately feel more "confined" in what I can share.

Then we come to downloads and attachments. This is a huge one - and possible a show-stopper for Android users considering an iOS device. The Nexus has a "downloads" area, where you can save just about any kind of document. And you can share the documents lots of ways, including by email. The iPad and iPhone only have built-in features to share photos this way. In iOS, apps are "sandboxed" to specifically prevent this basic kind of file system access you are so used to on your computer.

For example, on the iPad there is no standard way of mailing a PDF file! I can't tell you how annoying and limiting that feels. It greatly reduces iOS use as a productivity tool. But with the Nexus 7 you can easily attach just about any kind of document to emails - and share in other ways as well. This is such a major feature that I am truly surprised it was not implemented on iPads. In Apple forums, I've read of work-arounds using 3rd party tools and jumping through a dozen hoops to get something like a PDF file emailed. On the Nexus 7 you can just do it.

The Nexus 7 also automatically updates apps in the background, which doesn't happen in iOS6. In iOS6 you have to go into the App Store and request the updates. This, however, is another thing that iOS7 will be "borrowing" from Android 4.3.

Keyboard input is also much better on the Nexus. On the iPad you have two ways to input text - by pressing letters one-by-one on the soft keyboard, or using Siri for dictation. On the Nexus 7 the keyboard supports one additional fantastic feature - the "gesture keyboard" (also known as the Swype keyboard). Using the gesture feature you just drag your finger around on the keyboard, basically getting near the keys you would normally touch one-by-one to spell a word and it just knows what you are trying to spell. It is much faster than doing a "tap tap tap" of each letter separately. And it's eerily accurate.

Siri dictation, however, is considerably better than Android 4.3 dictation - particularly when it comes to punctuation and things like new lines and new paragraphs. There is almost no documentation on Android voice-to-text dictation. Even Google tech support doesn't seem to know all the voice-to-text commands. Getting new paragraphs to work is especially hard - though if you get used to it it will work. If voice-to-text dictation is a make or break deal for you, I would say the iPad with Siri is a better bet. Google support even wrote to apologize saying it is "a work in progress." Voice search in Google works great though.

There are other "details" which might make a person choose an iPad over a Nexus. Some things are superior on the iPad. For example, iOS along with iTunes on your Mac provides a 100% complete backup and restore option which just is not matched on the Nexus. The backup and restore features on the Nexus more closely approximate an iCloud backup of "just the most important data," but isn't as complete or unified as an iCloud backup. It's not as bad as I originally thought though, and it looks like restoring after a factory-settings reset or switch to a new device wouldn't take that long. But it definitely wouldn't be as complete as restoring from a full backup of your iPad done via iTunes on your computer.

Even taking all of the above into account, I am finding Android 4.3 on the Nexus 7 a better, easier-to-use, more flexible, more fun and more productive system than iOS on the iPad. And I still haven't done much customizing yet.

As I said, I am surprised to find I feel this way. But I really like the Nexus 7. And I like the direction Android is going.

Last edited:

chowdog13

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Question: thinking about upgrading my nexus 7 (2012) to the new model, should I go 16gb or 32gb? I'm leaning towards 32 because I like to keep a lot of content locally on my tablet. I also figured apps are only going to get larger.
Nice post btw

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Question: thinking about upgrading my nexus 7 (2012) to the new model, should I go 16gb or 32gb? I'm leaning towards 32 because I like to keep a lot of content locally on my tablet. I also figured apps are only going to get larger.
Nice post btw

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

I'm not an expert on that by any means. But I went for the 32 GB version because it was just $40 more. Is $40 worth agonizing over for twice the storage? :)

doug

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Agreed on most points, especially about the softkeys being much better than the mechanical iOS button. (This bugs me about my Galaxy S4.)

One thing to note about iOS is that you can do a four-finger upward swipe from within any app, and thereby reveal the recent apps dock; you don't have to use the home button.

Finally, as you continue to use Android apps, you will realize that the behavior of the back button is actually not so consistent within different apps. In some apps, it takes you back to the last place you were within the app. But other apps have their own back button at the upper left of the screen. In some of these apps, the Android back button does the same thing as the app-specific back button, but in others, it takes you out of the app and to the last place you were in Android (home screen, or some other app).

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't have time to write up my thoughts, but I will say a few things.
- the multitasking interface on the N7 and upcoming iOS7 are both borrowing from webOS - which still wins by a mile in the whole UI experience
- the back button in Android infuriates me at times. I tend to call it inconsistency, but I think it is more of a fundamental difference between how I think it should work and how it actually works. Here iOS wins over Android for me.
- totally agree on the cumbersome email attachment operation in iOS which is primarily due to lack of a filesystem concept.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
As you've stated, the sharing option, and the ability to download any file type to your device is a huge plus over iOS. I like to keep a copy of documents I've created on my device. If someone emails me and needs a copy of any of those documents, I can easily reply to their email and attach the document in their reply. Even though the Gmail app only allows you to attach pictures and videos, if you have ES File Explorer installed you proceed with attaching the file as a picture, select ES File Explorer as your opinion, then proceed to navigate and attach the file.
Having that feature comes in handy for me. Typing is much faster now that I've gotten used to using SwiftKey. I don't have to type as many letters to a word in order to get the prediction to appear, in comparison to iOS.
This is a big reason why i don't use my iPad as much.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
As you've stated, the sharing option, and the ability to download any file type to your device is a huge plus over iOS. I like to keep a copy of documents I've created on my device. If someone emails me and needs a copy of any of those documents, I can easily reply to their email and attach the document in their reply. Even though the Gmail app only allows you to attach pictures and videos, if you have ES File Explorer installed you proceed with attaching the file as a picture, select ES File Explorer as your opinion, then proceed to navigate and attach the file.
Having that feature comes in handy for me. Typing is much faster now that I've gotten used to using SwiftKey. I don't have to type as many letters to a word in order to get the prediction to appear, in comparison to iOS.
This is a big reason why i don't use my iPad as much.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I just tested with gmail and was able to attach a PDF from the downloads area.

Doug

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Nice post btwSent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
From my own experience I can tell you that I haven't seen the amount of storage used by apps and games rise more than about 1 GB total since 2011. By total I mean the sum of all of them, not each, so I wouldn't worry about that. As far as what you need that's totally dependent on how YOU use it. If you plan on keeping a large music collection stored locally on your tablet and use a lot, and I mean a LOT of apps plus games installed at once I would point you towards a 32. If you're away from home frequently enough to justify wanting to have over 10 hours of HD sized movies, I would also point you towards a 32.

Speaking for myself I've always owned 16gb tablets because the only time I ever go past 16 is for long flights once per year. The rest of the year I'm usually at around 5gb used. For those rare occurrences I just throw the excess movies on my phone which I already have with me and stream directly to my tablet which is possible even with no data connection.

$40 is pretty cheap, but since it's largely unused by me I don't go larger. As I said, if you don't need it, and are very familiar with your own usage requirements so you are already quite aware that there's no such thing as "maybe I'll need it", 16 will be for you. If you need more based on your usage, then the 32 is for you. IMO the best solution of all for people who are really into movies on tablets is either a large capacity WiFi hard drive, or USB OTG because let's face it, if you watch that many movies frequently, then neither 16 nor 32 is going to cut it. I've posted a few suggestions for this here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet-2013/307842-want-even-more-storage-try.html

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
From my own experience I can tell you that I haven't seen the amount of storage used by apps and games rise more than about 1 GB total since 2011. By total I mean the sum of all of them, not each, so I wouldn't worry about that. As far as what you need that's totally dependent on how YOU use it. If you plan on keeping a large music collection stored locally on your tablet and use a lot, and I mean a LOT of apps plus games installed at once I would point you towards a 32. If you're away from home frequently enough to justify wanting to have over 10 hours of HD sized movies, I would also point you towards a 32.

I agree with most of this, however, yesterday I got a "shock!" I'm not a game fanatic, however, I do play games. I like to keep one or two of each type on my tablet; driving, FPS, puzzle, arcade, etc. I'm also one of those who travel frequently and games are another way of staying in touch with my kids......we play against each other online.

Anyway, I download the new driving game Asphalt 8 (which is very good BTW) and it was 1.5GB! This game was designed with the Nexus 7 2013 in mind. It seems that with HD screens becoming the norm, the size of apps is increasing to accommodate the higher resolution screens. This same trend has occurred with other technology platforms, as processing and graphics capabilities have improved, the size of operating systems and apps has increased.

Bottom line is I'm not sure your historical use will be an accurate predictor for future storage needs. I bought a 32gb Nexus 7.

To the OP's original post, I am not an iOS or Apple user and I do agree with with your comparison of iOS and Android. The main difference to me is in my ability to customize my interface easily with Android to fit me needs / desires. With iOS the process is more difficult and, in many cases, requires a root / jail break. I can make most of my customization in Android without rooting. Just need the right app.

My 2 cents.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
It's an accurate predictor. Gameloft titles have been in that size range for quite some time, I already factored that in ;)
Asphalt 8 1.5 GB, 2013
Asphalt 7 1.2 GB, 2012
Asphalt 6 approx 800MB, 2010
As you can see this game has only grown about 700MB in 3 years, and only 0.2 in one year. Gameloft are also notorious for massive sized code. I've had a lot of other games installed that were better quality than Gameloft and less than half the size of comparable titles. A lot of really nice HD games are out there for 500MB and under.

I usually have a few HD game titles installed at any given time which leaves me about 10 hours worth of movies. But that's all I ever used since 2011. Others will use their tablets differently of course, so there's a 32gb for them. I'm in the process of replacing my digital movie collection with really large sized Bluray rips that run about 10GB and up each, so naturally I've ended up needing to use external storage solutions regardless of 16 or 32. With that being said, my built in storage ends up taking around 5-6GB before movies. My photos are cloud, and I prefer my phone for music.

Last edited:

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I feel sort of bad now... I've never owned an iDevice, can't afford them. Anyway, a friend of mine has an iPad and she told me she hated typing on it. So I said, "Have you tried a gesture typing keyboard?" She probably had no idea what I was talking about, sigh. I couldn't live without gesture typing!

Anyway, I learned a lot from your post Doug! I guess it's a good thing I started out with Android, I've really liked my sharing options as well. Although I agree with others, the back button isn't always consistent.

Sent from my Nook HD+

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I have never been a fan of the UI of iOS. Just feels so dated and boring. Having 1 button to do everything is annoying since I like the ability to back up in apps themselves without exiting them completely. I hate the apps on android recently that have started making the back button take me out of the app. Requiring me to hit a little button in the top corner of the screen is a pain when i have a perfectly good back button as is.

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
You are right on the nose with your assessment of the n72 vs. ipad. I own an ipad 3 and an ipad mini and an ipod touch latest generation. I have been an apple user for years with some PCs mixed in . The N7 and android are far superior to the ipad and IIS. The only ithing ipad can do is wirelessly stream everything to an hdtv through apple tv. I'm sure android will have an easy fix for such streaming soon. I hope to sell my ipad3 and get a nexus 10.

titaniumSS

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
It's an accurate predictor. Gameloft titles have been in that size range for quite some time, I already factored that in ;)
Asphalt 8 1.5 GB, 2013
Asphalt 7 1.2 GB, 2012
Asphalt 6 approx 800MB, 2010
As you can see this game has only grown about 700MB in 3 years, and only 0.2 in one year. Gameloft are also notorious for massive sized code. I've had a lot of other games installed that were better quality than Gameloft and less than half the size of comparable titles. A lot of really nice HD games are out there for 500MB and under.

I usually have a few HD game titles installed at any given time which leaves me about 10 hours worth of movies. But that's all I ever used since 2011. Others will use their tablets differently of course, so there's a 32gb for them. I'm in the process of replacing my digital movie collection with really large sized Bluray rips that run about 10GB and up each, so naturally I've ended up needing to use external storage solutions regardless of 16 or 32. With that being said, my built in storage ends up taking around 5-6GB before movies. My photos are cloud, and I prefer my phone for music.

That also doesn't factor in additional games you may download having access to the new tablet. I know I bought a 32GB and with the 6 tv shows, 1 HD movie, emulators and heavier games (like Asphalt 7 and 8, Blitz Brigade, and The Dark Knight Rises), I only have about 8GB left on mine. It's addicting to have the new power! lol

You are right on the nose with your assessment of the n72 vs. ipad. I own an ipad 3 and an ipad mini and an ipod touch latest generation. I have been an apple user for years with some PCs mixed in . The N7 and android are far superior to the ipad and IIS. The only ithing ipad can do is wirelessly stream everything to an hdtv through apple tv. I'm sure android will have an easy fix for such streaming soon. I hope to sell my ipad3 and get a nexus 10.

Chromecast will let you...if you can get your hands on one currently, lol.

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
That also doesn't factor in additional games you may download having access to the new tablet. I know I bought a 32GB and with the 6 tv shows, 1 HD movie, emulators and heavier games (like Asphalt 7 and 8, Blitz Brigade, and The Dark Knight Rises), I only have about 8GB left on mine. It's addicting to have the new power! lol

Chromecast will let you...if you can get your hands on one currently, lol.

Actually chromecast wont stream everything. It gets youtube and a few other things. Hdmi is only way to stream e erything at this juncture.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
That also doesn't factor in additional games you may download having access to the new tablet. I know I bought a 32GB and with the 6 tv shows, 1 HD movie, emulators and heavier games (like Asphalt 7 and 8, Blitz Brigade, and The Dark Knight Rises), I only have about 8GB left on mine. It's addicting to have the new power!

It factors in completely based on my usage, yours is different than mine ;)

DeepSeaGoddess

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you. I've been a longtime apple user but just sold my iPad 3 and I don't miss it at all! I love my N7 and am now an android convert! I went from and iPhone 4 to a galaxy s4 months ago and haven't looked back on that since. Only apple products I still do love are my macbook pro and iPod classic but. I freakin still hate iTunes. Now when will Google come out with an iPod classic equivalent of 160gb storage? :)

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy