Magnetic Cover Sensor Question

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I am using a Moko case with magnetic front cover. When I close the cover, it turns the screen off and locks the device. When I open the cover, it turns the screen on and shows me the lock screen. However, it seems like sometimes when the cover has been closed for a very long period of time, then when I open the cover, the screen doesn't turn on, and I have to press the power button to get to the lock screen.

Is this expected behavior when the device enters some sort of deeper sleep state after a long time of inactivity? Or is it a bug?

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I am using a Moko case with magnetic front cover. When I close the cover, it turns the screen off and locks the device. When I open the cover, it turns the screen on and shows me the lock screen. However, it seems like sometimes when the cover has been closed for a very long period of time, then when I open the cover, the screen doesn't turn on, and I have to press the power button to get to the lock screen.

Is this expected behavior when the device enters some sort of deeper sleep state after a long time of inactivity? Or is it a bug?

I have the same exact case and haven't experienced that issue. However, I also own a Samsung Galaxy S4 with a magnetic case. At times, I have to physically turn on the phone when it doesn't register the case being open. I think it's just a fluke... No big deal. Wouldn't worry about it. Only worry if your N7 doesn't cut on at all. Btw, loving the Moko case :)

J

DrWu

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Same case, same problem. Doesn't seem to matter how long its been closed for me, about 15% of the time, the screen isn't turning on. The case itself is pretty crappy so I wouldn't be surprised if maybe the magnets just weren't quite lined up the way they should. I'm definitely not happy with the moko case and will be looking for something better, very soon.

coronaboy10

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

I get this with the Iblason Slimcase too.

CBF1

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I have a Poetic Strapback and the tablet doesn't turn on if the screen has been off for more than 5 seconds. I contacted the seller so they'll have an answer.

mikemike162012

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I think is has more to do with the tablet than the case. I really feel there is some hardware problem with the tab design. Prob magnet sensor is one of them. Just my own opinion. Heard too many cases with this same problem.

CBF1

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, I just tried out a few things. It seems like with Wifi on, it wakes when opening the case. But with Wifi off, it doesn't wake.

Edit: With Wifi off, but the tablet plugged in to a charger/computer, the tablet will wake when the cover is opened. Software issue?

Last edited:

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I've been asking around about this too, I don't know for sure but I've come to believe it's a working as intended thing. Smart covers don't have the ability to pull this tablet out of deep sleep. Of all the people I've asked, most of the responses I've had from people saying it is waking the screen after long durations had things going on with their tablet that kept it out of deep sleep in the first place so IMO it's probably a good thing that this behavior is happening because it means your tablet is going into deep sleep like it's supposed to.

Now if your cover is waking the screen after an hour unplugged and WiFi off, I'd be more worried about having something going on that's stopping deep sleep mode so I'm OK with this. I don't mind having to wake using the power button after long periods. If it wasn't waking after only having closed the cover for 20 minutes because you had to go do something that would be annoying.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I just got this case and the magnet seems to be working just fine. Nice case for $4. It also works with my Nokia wireless charger.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

milliman

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I haven't experienced any problems with this case. At first I thought that the Moko case seemed flimsy but now I've grown to appreciate its slimness. It keeps the Nexus 7 feeling light and slim.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the issue with my Moko on the new Nexus 7 as well. I have a Moko for the Nook HD+ I'm using right now, it wakes the screen every time, regardless of how long the device has been sleeping. The Speck Fitfolio hubby has on his 1st Gen Nexus 7 wakes that device every time.

Right now, don't know what to think as to whether it is tablet or case.

Sent from my Nook HD+

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
At home, the smart magnetic wake on my case works perfect all the time even after a multiple day sleep.

The problem with not waking up or taking a long time to wake up using smart wake only happens when I close the cover, then lose the WiFi Access Point because I've moved locations and no longer have WiFi.

I am sure there are other WiFi scenarios that will cause the tablet to not wake up.

This sounds like software bug to me.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
At home, the smart magnetic wake on my case works perfect all the time even after a multiple day sleep.

The problem with not waking up or taking a long time to wake up using smart wake only happens when I close the cover, then lose the WiFi Access Point because I've moved locations and no longer have WiFi.

I am sure there are other WiFi scenarios that will cause the tablet to not wake up.

This sounds like software bug to me.

Are you sure having WiFi left on isn't allowing your device to remain in somewhat of a ready state, therefore allowing the case to wake the screen even after long periods?

CBF1

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I've been asking around about this too, I don't know for sure but I've come to believe it's a working as intended thing. Smart covers don't have the ability to pull this tablet out of deep sleep. Of all the people I've asked, most of the responses I've had from people saying it is waking the screen after long durations had things going on with their tablet that kept it out of deep sleep in the first place so IMO it's probably a good thing that this behavior is happening because it means your tablet is going into deep sleep like it's supposed to.

Now if your cover is waking the screen after an hour unplugged and WiFi off, I'd be more worried about having something going on that's stopping deep sleep mode so I'm OK with this. I don't mind having to wake using the power button after long periods. If it wasn't waking after only having closed the cover for 20 minutes because you had to go do something that would be annoying.

That makes a lot of sense given my experiences. My first tablet was constantly wakelocked by the Android OS and the case always woke the tablet regardless of the circumstances. After exchanging that one, the new tablet doesn't get wakelocked and doesn't wake when wifi is off and the tablet isn't plugged in.

prowede

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Same for me.
And I found this happened with different brand of cases/covers.

Someone claimed is the problem of the cases/covers, however, if the cases/covers is failed, it should be failed all the time.
However, if wifi is ON or USB power plugged in, the wake function is works all the time .

vmurph

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I have this same cover. It is a known issue and not the fault of the cover. It happens with other covers as well. It's a software issue related to the WiFi and has nothing to do with the length of time the device has been sleeping.

When the WiFi is turned ON, it works fine. But if the WiFi is turned off (or if you're not within range of a signal) the device will not wake up when the cover is opened.

This info comes directly from the Moko Case company. They posted it on Amazon, in response to a review (dated 8/26/13) left by someone experiencing the same issue.

--------
EDIT: you can confirm this yourselves by testing it with a weak magnet, one that is comparable to the kind used inside these covers.

DrWu

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have this same cover. It is a known issue and not the fault of the cover. It happens with other covers as well. It's a software issue related to the WiFi and has nothing to do with the length of time the device has been sleeping.

When the WiFi is turned ON, it works fine. But if the WiFi is turned off (or if you're not within range of a signal) the device will not wake up when the cover is opened.

This info comes directly from the Moko Case company. They posted it on Amazon, in response to a review (dated 8/26/13) left by someone experiencing the same issue.

--------
EDIT: you can confirm this yourselves by testing it with a weak magnet, one that is comparable to the kind used inside these covers.

I'm not sure if the recent OTA update resolved the issue or not but I got the update last night and tested the case just now with wifi turned off and it woke up every time. I tried it first in airplane mode and it woke up every time and then, just to be sure putting it in airplane mode wasn't different than just turning off wifi, I turned off airplane mode and turned wifi off and tested again and it still woke up. I also tested it both with it plugged in and not plugged in, worked every time so I'm led to believe that the new update fixed it.

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I have Portenzo case on both my Nexus 7s. It turns on everytime I open the case, no issues with those ever. Might be the way some cases have the magnets set in the front.

vmurph

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if the recent OTA update resolved the issue or not but I got the update last night and tested the case just now with wifi turned off and it woke up every time.
That's great. I didn't know there was an update. When was it released?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781