Speaking of Picasa - and photo album management in general

franko515

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
But... Box and Dropbox and those other cloud solutions mirror folders on your desktop, so they also take up disk space on your computer, thus duplicating files.

Still thinking... There has to be a straightforward, sensible way of syncing photo albums from my Mac. It may require giving up iPhoto, I'm not sure.

Thanks,

Doug

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

You don't have to put Dropbox or Box on your PC or Mac. You can just use the website via your N7 to navigate your files (export to the N7, share with whomever via text, email etc.) upload from your Mac to the Cloud via the website as to not have duplicates on your machine.

Sent from my Nexus 7

franko515

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
But... Box and Dropbox and those other cloud solutions mirror folders on your desktop, so they also take up disk space on your computer, thus duplicating files.

Still thinking... There has to be a straightforward, sensible way of syncing photo albums from my Mac. It may require giving up iPhoto, I'm not sure.

Thanks,

Doug

You don't need Box or Dropbox on your Mac. You can upload your files via the website, this way by not installing the apps on your Mac your not duplicating any files on your Mac. You can then manage these files via your N7, phone or the website.

Sent from my Nexus 7

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
You don't need Box or Dropbox on your Mac. You can upload your files via the website, this way by not installing the apps on your Mac your not duplicating any files on your Mac. You can then manage these files via your N7, phone or the website.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Yes, but then I lose all the great functionality of having the mirrored folder on my desktop! :)

franko515

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
douglerner said:

Yes, but then I lose all the great functionality of having the mirrored folder on my desktop! :)

I have given you ways to do it with and without duplicating photos on your machine. The choice is yours.

What functionality would you lose besides not have duplicates on your Mac?

You have all the same functions through the Android apps for Box and Dropbox.

Also check out Mega, 50gb free

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Well, basically, in all the solutions suggested so far there is no "photo album sync." So even if I was ok with the duplicate files, if I modify the albums, move things around, add new pictures - I have to export the albums again and redo everything manually. That is, if I want to have the same albums on my iPhone, iPad and Nexus.

So far I've found a way of syncing music. And a way of syncing calendars among all the devices. I was just hoping there was some way of syncing photo albums between all the devices too.

Thanks,

doug

markdek

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Google's whole photo syncing stuff has got my head spinning. I was/still am a Picasa user, but then when it integrated w/ Google+, etc., I just couldn't get my head around what was being sync'd, and where, and how........

franko515

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
As far as I know there isn't a photo sync option available for android. Least not one that would snyc across all devices. If anyone knows of any people let me know also.

Sorry I couldn't offer any solutions to your problem

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Well, I appreciate everybody's responses.

I may just deal with the issue manually. I don't update synced albums that much anyway.

doug

joemd60

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I still use Picasa Web albums through the website.
On my device I save to Picasa, it gives me a choice of what album I want the photo in.
In the Gallery on my phone, I have an option to how I want to view my photos.
Either Picasa or the device, or both.
The problem with Google transitioning to Google+, and I may be missing something.
There isn't way to share your pictures and albums to non Google + users.
What I am not seeing, an option to share either by email, or messaging.
Not everyone wants their picture storage and sharing on social networks.
And not just that, not everyone is or desires to be a Google+ user.
And it is not fair for Google to be forcing people in that direction.
I also don't like the fact when I was logged into Google+, and it says I have three followers.
I have no idea where to find them, since the circles show zero.
Google should adopt the Twitter way. Ask permission first, if someone wants to follow you.
As for Flickr, I searched the Web unsuccessfully.
Flickr is nice, but the app is not so nice.
Sharing albums on your device, always yields a post failed, single photos works fine.
Also, you need to set your photos as safe on Flickr, or sharing becomes unavailable.
Flickr on IOS seems to work better according to a user I know.
Also like Google+, Flickr is another social network.
Dropbox is also nice, but 2GB to start is not enough.
Especially if your referrals don't sign up.
Both Flickr and Picasa more interested in you sharing your photos rather than storing.
I share my photos with whom I want to, not the other way around. ;)
So, as the Sharks say. "for that, I am out". :D
Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

gerryp123

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Take a look at the app "Media Organizer". It acts as an adjunct to Gallery to create and organize photo albums. Might be helpful in solving your problem,

joemd60

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
ES File Explorer is just as the name implies nothing more than a file explorer (well lots more than that, but for the purpose of this post a file explorer). It will let you see your phones directory (files and such on your device). Just as I described using it to create folders for your photos you can do the same for your music, Music/Pop,Rock,HipHop then spread your music into the correct folders or drop additional folders (ie whole albulms) inside of the appropriate genre.

As far as storage goes u have lots of options
1. Box
There is a thread on this forum where you get 50 GB free
2. Mega
The default I believe is 50 GB free
3. Skydrive
If you had an acct for a long time I believe they gave 25 GB free
4. Dropbox
They give 5gb free and have ways to get more free storage (up to 18
Gb )
5. Flickr
I believe they give a terabyte free - someone correct me if I'm wrong.

From there you should be set. Decide what you need to store locally and the rest put in the cloud where its just a few clicks away.

Hope this helps

Sent from my Nexus 7

To help you out here. Dropbox is 2GB to start. Referrals gets you up to 18GB.
Note 2 and S3 owners got a 2yr. 50 GB promo.
From my experience with my Windows 7 phone.
Skydrive does give you 25GB, once you ditch your WP.
You're back to 7GB, upgrades are reasonable.
I found Skydrive worked well on WP. Maybe my Stellar, but the app wreaked havoc causing freeze ups.
And files did not fully upload,maybe Skydrive works better with other Android devices.
Google gives 15GB between Drive, Gmail, and Photos.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995