Nexus 7 running HOT

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
My Nexus 7 is very hot near the top of the device (close to the front facing camera).
My previous Nexus 7 2013 model didn't get this hot. I ended up exchanging it because the previous one had a defective wall charger.
Now the replacement is having issues of being hot to the touch.
I've been had the replacement for a few days, and it seemed to run find up until today.
Not sure if an app is constantly running in the background causing it to overheat.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Did you play a graphic intense game and it got like that? Cause that'll happen. Mine does the same thing. It's a little unnerving but it should be fine.

Posted via Android Central App

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Did you play a graphic intense game and it got like that? Cause that'll happen. Mine does the same thing. It's a little unnerving but it should be fine.

Nope. I don't have any games installed on it. I wasn't really using it. Happen to pick it up to use it, and noticed how hot it was. Wasn't sure if an app was continuously running in the background, I rebooted the device. After the reboot it ran normal again.
I'll continue to keep a check on it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Nope. I don't have any games installed on it. I wasn't really using it. Happen to pick it up to use it, and noticed how hot it was. Wasn't sure if an app was continuously running in the background, I rebooted the device. After the reboot it ran normal again.
I'll continue to keep a check on it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah there was an app going crazy in the background then. Did you notice your battery draining a lot too?

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah there was an app going crazy in the background then. Did you notice your battery draining a lot too?

Yep.
I uninstalled the last app I installed, which was 1Weather.
I then rebooted. Not sure if it was that particular app that was causing the issue, or if the reboot shut down another app.
If it happens again, then I'll know it wasn't the 1Weather app.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Yep.
I uninstalled the last app I installed, which was 1Weather.
I then rebooted. Not sure if it was that particular app that was causing the issue, or if the reboot shut down another app.
If it happens again, then I'll know it wasn't the 1Weather app.

Next time if it happens, don't reboot. Just close force close apps one by one giving it a little time in between. Hopefully it was that 1weather app though. I've heard a lot of cases where weather apps can be a little malicious.

Updater

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
If your nexus becomes hot go to apps in the settings and force close the ones that are taking up ram space if they are running in the background. Or perhaps it has defective hardware? I've heard that the 2013 model of the nexus has some issues with hardware and build quality. Can't confirm this though because I don't have one.

It's all in the hips.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
This thing is thin, and I've noticed it getting pretty warm near the camera fairly often. I've also noticed it pretty darn warm under the Nexus logo when I'm wirelessly charging, but I figured that's normal.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
This thing is thin, and I've noticed it getting pretty warm near the camera fairly often. I've also noticed it pretty darn warm under the Nexus logo when I'm wirelessly charging, but I figured that's normal.

That is where the charging coil is located. Also, a lot of the heat you feel may be coming from your wireless charger pad. Try touching the underside of the charging pad right after you remove the tablet. Both of my Nokia chargers get rather warm in that area.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
If your nexus becomes hot go to apps in the settings and force close the ones that are taking up ram space if they are running in the background. Or perhaps it has defective hardware? I've heard that the 2013 model of the nexus has some issues with hardware and build quality. Can't confirm this though because I don't have one.

It's all in the hips.

Unfortunately all apps do not appear in Settings > Apps > Running
Most do, but many do not.

Ronnie2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately all apps do not appear in Settings > Apps > Running
Most do, but many do not.

That's a good thing, you wouldn't want all your apps running at the same time. If they were your device would definitely be running hot and get crap battery life.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
i have the same problem now.

it wasn't like this before. it just started for the last few days. i think that maybe it is due to the "farm story" that i installed.

i am not sure.

LainieMac

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I was having a similar problem when I first got my Nexus 7 (2nd generation) - whenever I used the camera for a extended period of time (2-3 minutes) the device would get almost hot to the touch - in the back close to the top, near the camera lens on back. so I called Asus and they had me send it back and they said it was a firmware issue - they rebooted my device and sent it back.

now I just don't use the camera for extended periods of time. but today I was using app 'Jelly Splash' (I had it on my device previously with no problems but just reinstalled it today) and while using it - the device got hot to touch on back again. I turned device off and tried again later with same results. I uninstalled app and then, due to low battery, my device turned off. so will try again later.

comforting to know that some others have similar issues. really like the device but don't want to harm it.