How do you sync contacts and calendars between a Mac and Nexus 7?

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried manually syncing your Google Account on the Nexus to try to force it to pull them down? If it's not so many, you can log into GMail on your Mac and add them manually. If it's a lot, I'd verify they synced with your GMail at all.

It looks like contacts was not turned on for my Google account! So confusing. Why are there as many contacts as there are then?

Anyway, I turned it on. I tried checking via the web, but the contacts still haven't synced. I'll try again later and see if the missing people come in.

Confusing...

doug

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
It looks like contacts was not turned on for my Google account! So confusing. Why are there as many contacts as there are then?

Anyway, I turned it on. I tried checking via the web, but the contacts still haven't synced. I'll try again later and see if the missing people come in.

Confusing...

doug

Yeah, I get where you're confused. Having granular settings like that is just as powerful as it can be confusing. Some people (like me) have a few Google accounts that we use on our devices. I have contacts unchecked for my other accounts because I don't want those phone numbers in my phone. I don't ever call the people associated with those accounts, so why have them cluttering my dialer up? That's the reasoning, anyway.
Let me know if your contacts come down to the phone. Hopefully that does it (and it should!)

DeepSeaGoddess

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious as to what happens when someone sends you a calendar invite from an apple product (iphone/mac). I have a macbook pro and work iphone 4S. I've done what you listed above on my mac and iphone but the person sending me invites is sending from an iphone 5 and it still goes to the mac or iphone 4S but not any android devices. He is sending to my google acct email. Have you had anyone send you a calendar invitation from an apple device calendar?

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I get where you're confused. Having granular settings like that is just as powerful as it can be confusing. Some people (like me) have a few Google accounts that we use on our devices. I have contacts unchecked for my other accounts because I don't want those phone numbers in my phone. I don't ever call the people associated with those accounts, so why have them cluttering my dialer up? That's the reasoning, anyway.
Let me know if your contacts come down to the phone. Hopefully that does it (and it should!)

You mean to the Nexus, right? No, they never did. :(

The neck seems to be with the syncing from my Mac to Google apps. They are showing up there either.

I'll ask at the Apple Forums.

doug

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
OK, I got this to work. It turned out to be basically simple. On the Mac, and your iDevices add an account of type "CardDAV". The server name should be google.com and use your usual account login and password.

You can drag items in your Mac Contacts from one account to the other.

That's basically it. They are now showing everywhere, including on my Nexus 7!

doug

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
OK, I got this to work. It turned out to be basically simple. On the Mac, and your iDevices add an account of type "CardDAV". The server name should be google.com and use your usual account login and password.

You can drag items in your Mac Contacts from one account to the other.

That's basically it. They are now showing everywhere, including on my Nexus 7!

doug

Great job figuring this out, Doug! Thank you for letting us know. I'll be able to help the next person with this problem.

Sent from my HTC One using Mobile Nations mobile app

SorePuzzler

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I've tried this "simple" solution a thousand times and it's never worked. My contacts sync from Mac outlook through google just fine and show up nicely in my S4 contacts. But the calendar has never worked. The mac store folks don't know how to make it work, and the microsoft store people don't know how to make it work. Using an apple laptop with MS outlook and google android phone may not have been the best choice.

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I've tried this "simple" solution a thousand times and it's never worked. My contacts sync from Mac outlook through google just fine and show up nicely in my S4 contacts. But the calendar has never worked. The mac store folks don't know how to make it work, and the microsoft store people don't know how to make it work. Using an apple laptop with MS outlook and google android phone may not have been the best choice.

Sorry to hear that didn't work. Let me tell what I did. After creating the Google CalDav account:

1. I exported the iCloud calendar to a CalDav format.
2. I imported the calendar into the Google calendar in the Mac Calendar app.
3. I didn't bother deleting the Mac calendar data, I just disabled it from the calendar list by unchecking the boxes.

Everything really does stay nice and synchronized.

I don't use Outlook, but I have no trouble with the Nexus and my calendar.

Feel free to post again if you want to confirm your settings and try again.

doug

SorePuzzler

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
thanks for the effort to help doug. I'm flummoxed by the process. You exported the icloud calendar to a caldav format? How do you do that? the export dialogue box provides no "save as" options. I did export the icloud calendar, the file extension is ics. I tried to import it into the "Gmail" calendar but icalendar says it can't read the file. I'm lost. My icalendar imports from outlook just fine. I can't get the icalendar data to show up in my google calendar, which means i can't see it with my android phone.

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
thanks for the effort to help doug. I'm flummoxed by the process. You exported the icloud calendar to a caldav format? How do you do that? the export dialogue box provides no "save as" options. I did export the icloud calendar, the file extension is ics. I tried to import it into the "Gmail" calendar but icalendar says it can't read the file. I'm lost. My icalendar imports from outlook just fine. I can't get the icalendar data to show up in my google calendar, which means i can't see it with my android phone.

Looking back at what I did, I did it all from within Calendar, after creating the Google account for my Gmail account and making sure that both Mail and Calendar were checked in the Internet Account settings.

Then I selected an iCloud calendar on the left side and from File > Export I exported it to an .ics file.

Then while still in my Mac calendar app, I selected the Google account calendar and from File > Import I selected the exported .ics file and imported it into the Google account.

Then it was all there in the Google account, and I could see it on my Mac and my Nexus.

I didn't bother deleting the iCloud calendars. I just unchecked them from the calendars list.

doug

SorePuzzler

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Then while still in my Mac calendar app, I selected the Google account calendar and from File > Import I selected the exported .ics file and imported it into the Google account.

Sorry Doug, I don't know what that means. How do you see a google account calendar from within the ical application on your mac? I have os confusion syndrome.

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Sorry Doug, I don't know what that means. How do you see a google account calendar from within the ical application on your mac? I have os confusion syndrome.

Sorry for overlooking your last post!

On your Mac, go to Settings > Internet accounts.

Then click + and add a Google account. In my case, I just added "Calendars" as for what the account should sync.

Your Google calendars will then appear in the Mac Calendar app.

I hope this helps,

Doug

GoogleAccount.png

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Could you clarify one thing for me. In Calendar on the Mac and in iOS I can have multiple calendars with different labels - like Work, Home, Urgent, etc.

For the Google calendars is is basically one calendar for each Google account?

If so, I should do some export/import of my multiple calendars first in iCloud and merge them that way into one, and then export that and import it into a Google calendar.

I wonder what I will be losing, besides some color labeling I wasn't paying attention to anyway.

Well, I always have the backup exports if I want to revert.

doug

You can set up calendars with these kinds of labels in Google as well. I even have mine color coded, green for personal, blue for work, etc. My Google calendar syncs perfectly with my Mac laptop and my HTC One and Nexus 7. At one time I even had it syncing with my Kindle Fire. Everything comes through and is color coded. I use a third party calendar app, Calengoo.