nexus 7 wifi version when hotspot turned original wifi is lost

Ch M

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
a couple days ago i was connected via wifi to the internet with my nexus. I then turned on the nexus hotspot and proceeded to connect to the nexus via it's hotspot with a laptop and shared the internet connection through the nexus. I could just as well have used the laptop to connect to the original wifi signal. Anyway it will no longer do this. whenever the hotspot is turned on with the nexus, the nexus loses its original wifi internet connection. The only purpose i see in using this anyway would be to set up temporary internet access through the nexus hotspot for guests so that they don't get permanent access to my regular wifi. Not sure why it no longer works.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.

I think you might be mistaken. From my understanding, a wifi-only Nexus would have no reason to have a wifi hotspot (although I realize it does have the feature). It's really meant to share a 3g/4g mobile connection. Once you turn it on, it's going to disconnect from the wifi (it turns off the wifi connection).

You are trying to use it as a wifi extender/repeater, which it won't do.

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Actually, that's not entirely true, the WiFi version does have a reason for a hotspot, you can use it as a bridge connection. Although the nexus 7 WiFi out of the box doesn't allow for this, I am currently working on an app that will allow for this to happen making all the WiFi versions have a purpose for this feature. If possible, I will be making this feature to possibly be utilized as a wireless (bridge) to use for media (myself). I am motivated to do this for multiple reasons, even if someone just wants such a feature to use the nexus 7 WiFi as a wireless repeater period for any reason, which would be several. Anyways I know it should be pretty easy to figure out how to program the nexus 7 to work as a wireless bridge, but I am not sure if it will be very effective considering multiple facets. I'm pretty sure that I will have to write the app to require root. Access, but not 100% positive. And doing something like this will require a lot of time, energy, patience, and even more coding then anything... I have a pretty good idea on what I need to do but I really can't say how long this will take. As soon as I get this going I will be posting links so people who have the same idea or questions as to why their nexus 7 WiFi even has the hotspot option, they will atleast know they have the option to use their nexus 7 WiFi as a bridge, along with a list of instructions and purposes for why anyone would want to do such a thing. I will say one last time, although I doubt I'll have a problem programming the nexus 7 tablet to be able to repeat/amp a wireless signal, I have no clue whether it will effectively repeat a WiFi connection or not, basically I'm saying that the app from a programming stand point will ask for the necessary permissions to receive and send out a wireless signal, but that's as far as I know, it will all come down to the hardware, even if programmed correctly the hardware needs to be able to execute what any app is asking.

Last edited:

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
If you just want to provide guest access get a router with this feature. They are cheap and also ensure public users cannot see other resources you might have on your private wifi (computers with file shares, NAS, printers, etc). Some models also let you limit or deprioritize public traffic to make sure they do not use too much bandwidth or otherwise impact you private Wifi.

Android_1234

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Actually, that's not entirely true, the WiFi version does have a reason for a hotspot, you can use it as a bridge connection. Although the nexus 7 WiFi out of the box doesn't allow for this, I am currently working on an app that will allow for this to happen making all the WiFi versions have a purpose for this feature. If possible, I will be making this feature to possibly be utilized as a wireless (bridge) to use for media (myself). I am motivated to do this for multiple reasons, even if someone just wants such a feature to use the nexus 7 WiFi as a wireless repeater period for any reason, which would be several. Anyways I know it should be pretty easy to figure out how to program the nexus 7 to work as a wireless bridge, but I am not sure if it will be very effective considering multiple facets. I'm pretty sure that I will have to write the app to require root. Access, but not 100% positive. And doing something like this will require a lot of time, energy, patience, and even more coding then anything... I have a pretty good idea on what I need to do but I really can't say how long this will take. As soon as I get this going I will be posting links so people who have the same idea or questions as to why their nexus 7 WiFi even has the hotspot option, they will atleast know they have the option to use their nexus 7 WiFi as a bridge, along with a list of instructions and purposes for why anyone would want to do such a thing. I will say one last time, although I doubt I'll have a problem programming the nexus 7 tablet to be able to repeat/amp a wireless signal, I have no clue whether it will effectively repeat a WiFi connection or not, basically I'm saying that the app from a programming stand point will ask for the necessary permissions to receive and send out a wireless signal, but that's as far as I know, it will all come down to the hardware, even if programmed correctly the hardware needs to be able to execute what any app is asking.

Will we still be able to use the Nexus 7's wifi while using it as a router? Can you make it non root?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance