(Q) How do i Transfer over games saves?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Even if I use Helium how can I back up my sons games and "Game Progress" to an external device when I don't have a connector on the Nexus to allow connnection to a PC? It only has a hole for the power charge adapter.

Helium does support cloud storage solutions, so you can back up the games' appdata to a service like Dropbox. Install the Helium app on the desired Android device, and restore that appdata to the new device. As for backing up to a computer, you'll need to use a USB-to-microUSB cable. The charging cable that came with the tablet should be such a cable, and it should separate from the wall adapter.

Simpson1976

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I backuped my HTC One X game Traffic Racer to my PC with Helium. Now I use a HTC One. Where should I copy the data to the new phone there? I can?t find on my HTC One the installed place to remove the game Level from HTC One X.
THX for your Response.

Regards
Simpson

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Where should I copy the data to the new phone there?
Why aren't you just using Helium to restore the game app and game data to the new phone? I don't understand why you feel the need to copy anything - what am I missing?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I started the restore, it seems to upload, but nothing happened.
And did you backup both the app and app data, or just the app data?
I've found Helium to be fairly reliable - there are some apps that it won't backup; some apps that it SEEMED like it backed up but when you go to restore them it gives you an error; but I haven't run into a case where it said it restored but didn't.
However, the UI isn't very intuitive - when you choose apps to backup, you have to select that you want to also backup their data, and that selection is made in a subsequent screen which is only shown very briefly (which I usually miss). Perhaps that happened to you?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Charles Bland

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm having a hard time with this as well. Trying to transfer my wife's game data (Tribez and Pocket Frogs) from an old N7 to a new one. Helium refuses to work. As stated above, with the free version, it does not recognize the transferred "carbon" folder on the new device. Nothing is available to restore! I tried a hacky approach by backing up the new game, then replacing the folder contents with the old game data, but then it fails during restore.

I thought the Premium version would be better, but it's not: all methods fail on restore. So now I'm out $5 and still can't get the game data onto the new device. :(

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
I thought the Premium version would be better
Did you try backing up to the cloud (Google Drive; Dropbox; etc) using the premium version and restoring from there?

As I mentioned above there were some apps that wouldn't restore even though the backup 'seemed' to be successful - not sure what the point of the backup is if you can't restore it. In those cases I report the failure to the Helium developer, but his support is greatly lacking - I never hear squat from him; not even an automated 'thanks for your input' email. Sorry, not sure what other app you could rely on.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I am having a similar problem with Injustice: Gods among us. I have a nexus 10 that my son, who now has his own nexus 7, had a profile on. He would like to move his save file from IGAU on the Nexus 10 to his Nexus 7. Unfortumately Helium doesnt support secondary user profiles. IGAU supports cloud saves [Connected to the Google Plus account] but for some reason it does not load his current save from the N10 on the N7. With Mothers Day I didnt really have enough time to sort it all out.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Unfortumately Helium doesnt support secondary user profiles.
Not surprised.

I haven't fiddled with secondary profiles - does that allow the user to associate the secondary profile with a different Google account, or just to have a secondary login but still use the credentials of the primary login?

Have you sent an email to the developer of IGAU describing your problem?

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Not surprised.

I haven't fiddled with secondary profiles - does that allow the user to associate the secondary profile with a different Google account, or just to have a secondary login but still use the credentials of the primary login?

It allows a secondary user with their own credentials in a differetn log in, wallpaper, apps ETC., , however some apps , Like google music for example, will allow you to enter theprimary users data to make use of that as well.

Have you sent an email to the developer of IGAU describing your problem?
Nope havent had enough time to test it inorder to verify it isnt user errer.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I've always just backed up the Android/data folders for whatever I needed and copied them back to the new device.

Posted via the Android Central App

ackmondual

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
For those of you suggesting using Helium to backup the source device, then restoring to destination device, can you selectively restore just the game files, or does it restore the entire contents of the phone? I'd like to keep certain things intact on my new phone.

spapakons76

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
Hello!

I have tried many apps, but the one that did the job for me was DataSync. It can sync directly between two Android devices (if they are both connected at the same network) or using a cloud storage application such as Google Drive or DropBox, or similar. Both the source device and the target device must be rooted for the application to work properly. I rooted my GoClever Quantum 400 Lite smartphone using Kingo Root in just a simple click! My other "device" was the Android Emulator Bluestacks which cannot be rooted, but fortunately it provides root Access automatically when needed. For DataSync to work, you must also install BusyBox. I didn't have a cloud storage app before, so I decided to use Google Drive. My smartphone had Google Drive preinstalled, so I only had to install it to Bluestacks. First time we have to load the cloud storage application (in my case Google Drive) and login. Next time it logins automatically. We must also load BusyBox and select the first option (Install BusyBox) to make it available to DataSync and other apps. Finally, we load DataSync. The default setting is "List-based" (sync games and apps according to a predefined list). We don't need that, unless we sync frequently many games/apps. We click on "List-based" and select "Individual". Then a list of all installed games and apps is displayed. We scroll down and click on the games we want to sync. Then we click on the arrows icon top right. We will be notified if another Android device is within range or asked to use the cloud storage app (in my case Google Drive). We select the cloud storage app and DataSync sends the data there. When complete, we can load DataSync on the target device, change from "List-based" to "Individual", select the same games from the list (they should be installed on the target device, of course) and then click on the arrows icon top right. DataSync detects the available data and if no local data are present it starts syncing. If we have played the game (local data present) we will be asked to either keep the local data or replace them with the remote data. Provided the remote data are better (higher level, powerups etc) we choose to replace them. After the process is complete, we close the DataSync app and load a game. If done correctly we should see the same progress (levels Player, powerups etc) on the target device! Voila! And we don't even need Facebook for that!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I have tried many apps, but the one that did the job for me was DataSync.
That may be a worthwhile app, but it hasn't been updated since 2013. I personally wouldn't trust an app that isn't seeing active development, particularly when there's lots of comments questioning its functionality. YMMV.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
For those of you suggesting using Helium to backup the source device, then restoring to destination device, can you selectively restore just the game files, or does it restore the entire contents of the phone?
You can restore specific items, just like you can backup specific items.
I do have to mention, although that developer is very talented he's terrible at providing support directly. There's probably forums or such on XDA and other places where you can get answers to questions, but when I pay for an app (as I did) I expect bug reports and issues to be responded to by the developer - that is sorely lacking IMO. YMMV.

spapakons76

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
You can restore specific items, just like you can backup specific items.
I do have to mention, although that developer is very talented he's terrible at providing support directly. There's probably forums or such on XDA and other places where you can get answers to questions, but when I pay for an app (as I did) I expect bug reports and issues to be responded to by the developer - that is sorely lacking IMO. YMMV.
First of all, there is a free version of Helium, you don't have to pay, at least not when the free version works as promised. I have to report that Helium doesn't work on Bluestacks (my source "device") because it cannot be rooted, so I had to try something else. Neither does Titanium Backup, as this also requires a rooted device. The only one that worked in both my smartphone and Bluestacks and succeeded was DataSync (see my previous post). I don't care if it is from 2013 as GSDer mentioned. It did the job perfectly and that is what it counts for me! Not if it has support or not! Besides, one needs support only if something doesn't work. Since it worked, I couldn't care less!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
First of all, there is a free version of Helium, you don't have to pay, at least not when the free version works as promised.
I'm aware that there's a free version - I used it until I determined that it worked and then bought the paid version - developers have to eat too.

It should also be noted that Helium doesn't require the device to be rooted; it just requires that you run an app on a PC while the device is connected (after which you can disconnect from the computer). That configuration may not play well with Bluestacks, but other users shouldn't be deterred from using it because of misinformation about root requirements.