Does this seem legit?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I would say selling 'The NEW nexus 7 4G LTE' as a nexus 7 (1 gen) would be slightly illegal....
Well it says "NEW ASUS GOOGLE" not the "THE NEW ASUS GOOGLE" so could it be they mean it is in new unused condition rather than new just released?

They do state it is a 1st gen in the description.

I am not sure if many folks would complain if they (according to how you wrote it) received a 2nd gen Nexus 7 when they ordered a 1st gen Nexus 7 but you probably meant the other way around.

filking762

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so I'm wrong.... again... but the description uses the words 'NEW nexus 7 4G LTE' which in my eyes refers to the 'New nexus 7 4G LTE', which as far as I know isn't available in the US yet. (the 1 gen wasn't 4G!!!)

But he's sold 3....

Yes, further down it says '(1 gen)' but that's like me selling a 'BRAND NEW LEXUS CAR' and in small print putting 'by the way, the car supplied is a mini'

It's a fraud... But, as he's getting away with it, and 'buyer beware', ignore me...

*Edit* the description says (1 gen) and also says 'wifi + 4g' Now say it is legal?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
*Edit* the description says (1 gen) and also says 'wifi + 4g' Now say it is legal?
T-mobile sometimes calls their HSDPA 4G, but it isn't LTE.

I'll trust you on 1st gen not having LTE even with carrier incarnations because I just don't follow 1st gen at all.

Nexus 7 2013 4G LTE just became available in Europe BTW. So maybe he is just on the edge of deception trying to take advantage of the launch hysteria.

Ronnie2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Actually, the LTE version isn't available at all yet. The normal wifi only model just became available outside the US a few days ago. That eBay listing is trying to deceive people.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4

filking762

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Hence the thread title.

We would all like the latest stuff NOW. This fella in the USA is a fraud. I've reported. Maybe you can and sleep well knowing you have done 1 good deed. :) :) :)

Happy tabbing.. X

filking762

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
FFS sfhub, this bloke is selling the old nexus 7 as a new one. From overseas!!!! You chase that fraud up in court....?
I don't care if xda have one.. I am trying to warn people and stop this kind of **** happening.

I need my nurse.................

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
FFS sfhub, this bloke is selling the old nexus 7 as a new one. From overseas!!!! You chase that fraud up in court....?
I don't care if xda have one.. I am trying to warn people and stop this kind of **** happening.

I need my nurse.................

Honestly the only thing that is slightly confusing is the 4g LTE, take those 5 letters out and the listing looks fine. Seller has 5000 ratings so I doubt they'd be in business that long if they constantly were trying to fool people.

All the specs and the picture are for the 1st gen. Tegra proc, 1280x800 screen, etc.

The xda mention was for the other guy who said LTE 2nd gen wasn't for sale, not regarding your post.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
So I got curious and looked up the specs and the tmo version of that tablet supports 42Mbps hspa+ which I know tmo has marketed in the past as a 4g experience, so the only truly confusing part is the LTE which this clearly does not support.

So instead of 4g LTE they should replace with 42mbps hspa+ and the listing would be fine

harryhoudini66

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so I'm wrong.... again... but the description uses the words 'NEW nexus 7 4G LTE' which in my eyes refers to the 'New nexus 7 4G LTE', which as far as I know isn't available in the US yet. (the 1 gen wasn't 4G!!!)

But he's sold 3....

Yes, further down it says '(1 gen)' but that's like me selling a 'BRAND NEW LEXUS CAR' and in small print putting 'by the way, the car supplied is a mini'

It's a fraud... But, as he's getting away with it, and 'buyer beware', ignore me...

Says new as in brand new i.e. unopened box. Using your same example. Lets say it is October and the next year model Lexus are for sale already. The dealer has a current year Lexus. One that has not been sold yet. Never registered, no miles etc. Would you call that a "new" Lexus or and "old" Lexus?

Ronnie2

May 18, 2011
Visit site

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Still, even the picture on that eBay listing is of a 1st generation Nexus 7. You can tell from the location of the front facing camera. On the new ones the camera is more towards the right side of the device.
I agree, my point was though that the only thing in the listing that might make you think it was a 2nd gen is the 4G LTE part. The rest of the listing is all straight out of tmobile marketing material for Gen 1, and there is a lot of detail there, the picture, tegra processor, 1280x800 screen, "1 gen", Android 4.1, etc. etc.

So change that 4G LTE to 42Mbps HSPA+ and everything is fine with the listing.

mikemike162012

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
First thing when buying from ebay is to look at the seller feedback percentage to see if that seller is a fraud or not and then proceed to look at the product description of the item that interested you. This way if something is not as stated or you misread when its on the description correctly, you can't held anyone accountable. From the production description and the image of the product, I can clearly see its for the 1st generation Nexus 7 with the camera in the middle and in the description with 1gb ram. I can't see how you got confused with it if you had read the description from the start. If its too good to be true, it probably is. If its an bargain then the details must be in the description with an catch, otherwise its an fraud scheme (if the seller has below 90% positive feedback). The most important to avoid fraud is to look at the seller feedback as most (note: most!) wouldn't want to risk losing their outstanding postie feedback account just for some quick cash scam.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Some people will choose to infer that "new" means the 2013 Nexus, but if you think about it for a second, on eBay, and even amazon, items are either new or used. The context for eBay for "new" almost always has to do with the condition of the item, not model year. Perhaps this seller is trying to fool people, but seller states Gen 1.

Posted via Android Central App

mikemike162012

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Including the Front and Rear facing camera part as well eh!!!
Actually that is an error part on ebay listing. When you sell an item similar that had previously been sold on ebay before it will default the same product description for your convenience. I know cause I've listed an tablet before while it was on android 4.0 but the default product description was at honeycomb 3.2. Unless you specify at the bottom of the description in which the seller did (he/she didn't mentioned rear camera like on the top product description from ebay). I also double checked and searched for another 1st generation Nexus 7 4g for sale on ebay and it also listed the default ebay product description as having both front and rear camera. Again this is error on ebay part for not double-checking the info. is correct.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463