This is probably a dumb question, but when you touch the home button go to the main home screen. Then there are additional screens to the right. But why is there an extra screen to the left of the main home screen?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    08-30-2013 05:21 AM
    You have a total of 5 screens available to customize...2 to the left and 2 to the right.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4
    douglerner likes this.
    08-30-2013 05:23 AM
    I'm not sure about the stock launcher, but with Nova, you can set the number of home screens and define which one is the main one that appears when you tap the home button.

My preference is to use a single home screen, but I have only a small number of apps and widgets installed.

08-30-2013 05:54 AM
    You have a total of 5 screens available to customize...2 to the left and 2 to the right.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4
    Oh, you're right. Because they were empty, I didn't even notice there were 2 to the left. Well, now that it's symmetric it somehow makes more sense.

Thanks,

doug
    08-30-2013 10:09 PM
    Doug, if you haven't already, try Apex Launcher (or Nova), but I prefer Apex. Will give you an amazing amount of customizations. Since you seem to like to tinker, you'll be busy all day. Launchers like Apex let you have bwtn 1 and 7 screens and do all sorts of cool things.

Two of my favorite Apex things is double tapping screen brings up a phone x settings, system settings, app management, etc, and long press screen allows adding of widgets, shortcuts, etc.

Give it a try!

Posted via Android Central App
    08-31-2013 10:23 AM
    Doug, if you haven't already, try Apex Launcher (or Nova), but I prefer Apex. Will give you an amazing amount of customizations. Since you seem to like to tinker, you'll be busy all day. Launchers like Apex let you have bwtn 1 and 7 screens and do all sorts of cool things.

Two of my favorite Apex things is double tapping screen brings up a phone x settings, system settings, app management, etc, and long press screen allows adding of widgets, shortcuts, etc.

Give it a try!

Thanks, I may take a look at it. I think it's funny that I give the impression I like to tinker though. I actually am the type of person who likes to customize as little as possible because I don't like there to be excuses when something is not working right. What I've been trying to do so far is see how much I can get done with the out-of-box functionality.

For example, I was able to sync music, email, calendars and contacts so far without the installation of any 3rd party software.

When I get more used to things I might get more adventurous. But so far all my icons fit on one screen.

But that one does sound interesting, so I should at least check it out.

Thanks,

doug
    08-31-2013 07:51 PM
    Yeah, you can decide how many screens, how many rows and columns of icons on the screen you want, transition effects when you move from one screen to the next, if you want icons to have labels or not, what you want folders to look like, swipe shortcuts, how many icons you want in the dock, and many other things stock android doesn't left you choose.

08-31-2013 10:19 PM
    Yeah, you can decide how many screens, how many rows and columns of icons on the screen you want, transition effects when you move from one screen to the next, if you want icons to have labels or not, what you want folders to look like, swipe shortcuts, how many icons you want in the dock, and many other things stock android doesn't left you choose.

Ooh. Transitions. Now you are tempting me.

08-31-2013 10:38 PM
    I don't own or work for Apex, but I swear, you won't believe that you didn't install it sooner. The free version has four transitions, the $4 pro version has a bunch more, and notifications counts like Macs, plus other really useful stuff , but free version is an excellent app. I've only ever owned Nexus devices, but Apex is a must-have for me.

09-01-2013 09:38 AM
    I don't own or work for Apex, but I swear, you won't believe that you didn't install it sooner. The free version has four transitions, the $4 pro version has a bunch more, and notifications counts like Macs, plus other really useful stuff , but free version is an excellent app. I've only ever owned Nexus devices, but Apex is a must-have for me.

I might try this again later when I have more patience. But in my 90-second test I couldn't find all the icons I had already set up on my home screen, so quickly uninstalled it thinking it had deleted my icons. I know I didn't give it a fair try, but I need to have a longer quiet time to test it again.

doug
    09-01-2013 07:34 PM
    Yeah, even with Apex installed, your stock original desktop screens are maintained. Apex has to be set up to your liking from scratch, so agree that some patience would be in order. But you can swap between stock Launcher and Apex at will by going into Apex settings, Advanced settings and selecting your default launcher - stock or Apex. This is handy if you become overwhelmed, and just want stock everything back immediately.

09-02-2013 02:57 PM
    Agreed with 3rd party launchers. I'm a big fan of Nova Launcher Pro, though. Apex is also good.
    09-02-2013 03:09 PM