Nexus 7: How the new Japanese model switches between English and Japanese keyboards

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
One of my nitpicks about my new Nexus 7 that I bought from the U.S. is that the Google Japanese Input method I downloaded from Google Play doesn't let you switch back easily to the English keyboard. While the English keyboard has a dedicated soft button for switching languages to the left of the space bar, surprisingly the Japanese keyboard doesn't. It's a bit more time-consuming to get back. Also on the Japanese keyboard there isn't a voice input button.

Since the new Nexus 7 went on sale here in Japan a few days ago, I dropped by Yodobashi Camera in Akihabara and looked at the settings they are distributing here. Instead of the Google Japanese Input method they are instead using something called iWnn IME.

Right there on the spot I did a Google Play search for it and found it: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=jp.co.omronsoft.wnnlab&token=s4I7xuql

It's free and described this way:

"Wnn Keyboard Lab is pre-release free version of iWnn IME (Japanese keyboard) which is standard installed a lot of Android devices in Japan. Wnn Keyoboard Lab will provide stable basic IME functions and plug-in modules for customization."

It works great, and you can even toggle an Emoji keyboard (which I turned off) and has a voice input button also.

I don't see any advantage to the Google Japanese Input method. This is much better. And it's the way the standard Japanese Nexus 7s are set up.

Last edited by a moderator:

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: How the new Japanese model switches between English and Japanese keyboards

Speaking of Japan, having my Nexus 7 in Japan rocked as I could use Google Translate when my very basic Japanese failed me and the person I was attempting to communicate with was not able to speak English.

Though I admit switching keyboards (so the Japanese person could type in Japanese) was somewhat cumbersome, it was doable and that was without the keyboard mentioned by the original poster, which looks to make that much easier.

Dan

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

Google translate is your friend. But be careful! :)

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

An extra note on this.

The way I have it set up (using the standard Google English keyboard because I like the Swype feature, and using iWNN IME for the Japanese) when you switch to the Japanese keyboard you are, by default, in English input mode. The character key on the bottom left shows 「あA1」. So you have to press that button twice to get into あ (hiragana) mode.

The solution to that problem is to just turn off the Half Alphabet keyboard in the iWnn IME settings. Then it's perfect. The "globe" mark switches you between the Japanese and Google English keyboards.

doug

glasspanic

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

Hi douglerner

How did you disable the half-alphabet keyboard exactly? I had a look around in the iWnn IME settings but couldn't seem to find an option to do so

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

Hi douglerner

How did you disable the half-alphabet keyboard exactly? I had a look around in the iWnn IME settings but couldn't seem to find an option to do so

Hi. It's in:

Settings > Language and Input > Click the settings mark next to iWnn IME (Japanese) > Uncheck the "Half alphabet keyboard" box.

doug

glasspanic

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

Hmmm I don't seem to have that option - I'm on a Nexus 4 with iWnn IME Ver.2.2.6.jp-T-02

The closest option for selecting keyboards is to choose whether it uses QWERTY or 10 key for different options, but I can't find anything to disable keyboards ie half alphabet.

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

Hmmm I don't seem to have that option - I'm on a Nexus 4 with iWnn IME Ver.2.2.6.jp-T-02

The closest option for selecting keyboards is to choose whether it uses QWERTY or 10 key for different options, but I can't find anything to disable keyboards ie half alphabet.

The one I downloaded is called Wnn Keyboard Lab version 2.3.3-Lab-6 by Omron. Maybe only certain ones are available to certain devices in Google Play?

glasspanic

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

The one I mentioned came preinstalled (for emoji input), I installed Wnn Keyboard lab (Ver.2.3.3-Lab-6) but can't see the option you mentioned. When I click on the settings tab next to the keyboard, the options are: input languages, display, prediction/conversion, key operation, external application, dictionary, and others.

I had a look through them but can't find anything to allow me to disable half alphabet. Guess I'm just stuck with having to change from English each time?

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

The one I mentioned came preinstalled (for emoji input), I installed Wnn Keyboard lab (Ver.2.3.3-Lab-6) but can't see the option you mentioned. When I click on the settings tab next to the keyboard, the options are: input languages, display, prediction/conversion, key operation, external application, dictionary, and others.

I had a look through them but can't find anything to allow me to disable half alphabet. Guess I'm just stuck with having to change from English each time?

I think you are looking at the wrong settings. You need to uncheck the Wnn Keyboard Lab box and instead choose the one above it, iWnn IME.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

glasspanic

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

I guess it might be a difference between tablets and smart phones, I can't see any option like that in iWnn IME or Wnn Keyboard Lab

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

I guess it might be a difference between tablets and smart phones, I can't see any option like that in iWnn IME or Wnn Keyboard Lab

It does sound like a difference. Unfortunately I can't install it and check on my old Android smartphone because it is running 2.3 .3 and doesn't support that software.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

curryUdon

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site

douglerner, I've created an account just to thank you for the information you provided and the research you've done in this. Although not as quick-and-simple as switching keyboards in iOS, this is leaps better than the default Google solution. I've been having the same issue as glasspanic (haha) with not being able to see the same menus as yourself (I'm on a Nexus 5 KitKat), but what I've got now, through your info, is so much better than before.

Thanks again! I'm sure your postings have helped many other gaijin!!

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

douglerner, I've created an account just to thank you for the information you provided and the research you've done in this. Although not as quick-and-simple as switching keyboards in iOS, this is leaps better than the default Google solution. I've been having the same issue as glasspanic (haha) with not being able to see the same menus as yourself (I'm on a Nexus 5 KitKat), but what I've got now, through your info, is so much better than before.

Thanks again! I'm sure your postings have helped many other gaijin!!

Well thank you. I'm glad if it was some help!

Just testing now on my Nexus 7, since the "globe" mark appears on both the English gesture keyboard and the Japanese keyboard, switching for me is the same as with iOS - just press the globe mark.

doug

Edwin Bradford

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

Hi All,

I just registered to reply to this thread too! I think I just solved the problem. I'm also using Wnn Keyboard Lab. My phone was purchased here in Japan but didn't come with iWnn IME installed so I downloaded Wnn Keyboard Lab instead as there seems to be no way to get hold of iWnn IME. I was having the same problem as everyone else with no means to disable the QWERTY (half alphabet) keyboard showing up first whenever you switched to the Japanese keyboard.

Then suddenly just now I got it to work. If I change from US English to Japanese using the globe button I go directly into the hiragana (10 key) keyboard each time. I realized I had changed the language settings for the phone from English to Japanese! That seems to cause Wnn Keyboard Lab to display the ten key keyboard in Japanese by default rather than the QWERTY keyboard.

Its working perfectly for me now. Try it. Also if you type omron キーボード into the Play Store you will get all the skins for it.

Just in case its helpful I found two other keyboard's that switch directly between 10 key hiragana and QWERTY: Simeji and ATOK. I'd give both of them 5 stars out of 5, for me in the end it was just a matter of style and I'm very picky. ATOK is expensive but has a 15 day trial which is plenty of time to test it. Simeji is free. Both of them have an extensive amount of settings so you can configure them in some detail. To me Simeji feels more fun, ATOK feels more serious.

I hope that helps and thanks Doug for posting in the first place.

N.B. After using ATOK a little more I realized the input system is actually quite unique so I recommend people give it a go for a few days to see if they like it.

Last edited:

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

My solution was working fine for me. :)

I've been able to switch between Japanese and English keyboards with a single click of the globe mark since making the changes I described above.

One note after update to KitKat - Android 4.4 though. The settings turn off Japanese and turn on the new Emoji keyboard instead. But it's a simple matter of going into the input methods and turning the Japanese on again.

doug

TheMoogly

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site

So I also registered to join this conversation! I work in Japan but want to buy the Nexus 7 in USA during the holidays. When I go back to Japan I want it to be completely in Japanese, as if I bought it in Japan (but for less :)). I've never owned an android device and I know an iPhone can be set up in 日本語 from set up... are the Nexus devices the same? Thanks, everyone!

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

So I also registered to join this conversation! I work in Japan but want to buy the Nexus 7 in USA during the holidays. When I go back to Japan I want it to be completely in Japanese, as if I bought it in Japan (but for less :)). I've never owned an android device and I know an iPhone can be set up in 日本語 from set up... are the Nexus devices the same? Thanks, everyone!

Whether it will be exactly as though you have bought it in Japan, with all the Japanese apps installed or not I don't know. I think they will be differences like that. However, you can select the UI language for the Nexus, just like you can with an iPad. And one of the language choices is Japanese. So you can certainly run with the Japanese UI if you like.

Posted via Android Central App

Teradomari

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for starting this thread douglerner. This info has been very helpful in getting my Nexus 5 running Kitkat set up the way I need.
I tried various configurations with the Google Japanese Keyboard and Wnn Keyboard Lab app. But I like to keep things light and simple so I uninstalled those extras. As you pointed out, the Google Japanese Keyboard doesn't have the globe icon to allow for a 1 tap switch back to English. And the Wnn Keyboard Lab app just seems unnecessary. Configuring iWnn IME as you outlined, I can easily jump between the English swipe keyboard and Japanese hiragana input with a single tap of the globe button which appears on both English and Japanese keyboards. This works the same whether I have the system language set to English or Japanese. I frequently switch the system setting back and forth between English and Japanese. So it's great to have the keyboard operation be the same regardless of the system language setting.
The only minor problem I encounter is that iWnn IME will occasionally crash. It hasn't happened enough that I've been able to isolate a specific reason. I can't reproduce the crash at will. It happens when I'm using iWnn IME in the WWJDIC for Android app. But I can't say for certain if that's the only app it crashes in. I'll have to see how it goes now that I've uninstalled the other Japanese keyboards.
Finally, I have a question to complete the Japanese input experience. I want to be able to easily enter kanji with hand writing. Often I want to input a kanji character but don't know the reading. So hiragana input doesn't help and I need to hand write it. Here's what I do now: open the WWJDIC for Android app, select handwriting (the pencil icon), write the kanji, click to get the possible matches, select the kanji I'm looking for, select copy, and then return to the app and paste. This seems a few steps too many. I'm looking for a more direct approach to entering kanji. Thanks for any suggestions anyone has for this.

Last edited: