Appreciating the Nexus program

WestOkid

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I just wanted to give props to the Nexus program. This goes for all Nexus devices. I see a lot of people complaining about issues with the Nexus 7. They compare it to iPad, they talk about service, they talk about unacceptable bugs etc. All the while forgetting the fact that Google has made a high end, unlocked device available at an unbelievable cost. We can purchase hardware that we may not be able to afford at market rates, yet I see people up in arms for the slightest issue. You would think they paid premium prices. I ask, is it realistic for us to expect a device that is made available near cost to be flawless? Isn't it more realistic to expect there may be compromise in quality control? We would expect that if we were purchasing lessor device without the Google name wouldn't we? I mean, would we be happy if Google just scrapped the Nexus program because the expectation is to compete with Apple and Samsung service at half the cost? When it comes to the Nexus program, I think people need to realize when they are looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Mostly agree. In today's forums, Google merely having the best software, best hardware and best price isn't enough. It has to be perfect!

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I've only ever had Nexus devices, and almost won't consider non-nexus. That being said every manufacturer (including Apple) has issues to work through with new products. Yes, the cost of the N7 is great, but I don't exactly agree that purchasers of a lower-cost device should be expected to put up with problems. The devices should work as advertised. (and I love my 2nd Nexus 7 FHD - first had a severely defective screen).

Posted via Android Central App

WestOkid

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
In business, you will generally get what you pay for. It's unrealistic to think you can get a high end device at the cost of a low to mid range device and not sacrifice something. That sacrifice can be quality tests, customer service, design, or skipping little things like calibration etc. That's just business. People who expect different are in denial. It's like people who use boost mobile, pay half what a Verizon customer pays and complains about too many dead zones. With a Nexus you will have a device that is better than any other at its price point. But people don't compare it to devices and services at its price point, they compare it to flagships from Samsung and Apple costing twice as much. Why is that realistic?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
The way I understand it, the difference is that companies like Apple make a huge, obscene profit on their hardware while Google is really selling advertising and builds a better device and sells it at essentially cost.

Nexus 7 (2013)

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
It isn't exactly realistic, yet I'd put my (admittedly 2nd) Nexus 7 up against any higher priced device.

Posted via Android Central App

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The way I understand it, the difference is that companies like Apple make a huge, obscene profit on their hardware while Google is really selling advertising and builds a better device and sells it at essentially cost.

Nexus 7 (2013)

Actually I saw some figures from Forbes that said that after the cost of advertising, overhead, and labor apple only makes about 100$ to 150$ on the iPhone.

You would be correct though, Google does make its money by advertising, So they can afford to sell high end hardware at a mid range price. There's really no excuse for Apple, as they have their tablets, software, and computers to support them.

You want to talk about obscene profit margins, look at Microsoft's operating expenditures versus their income.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae