Best Buy Didn't Want to Sell Me a Nexus!

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Just so you know where this is coming from, there were actually enough returns due to the software issues that are now patched by Google for BB to take notice. Word did get around inside BB and the chain managers, and that's why you're getting this reaction at more than one location. Now that it's been patched, they may or may not catch up with that news. People are far less likely to give them feedback when they're not returning something.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I can see that but, here is my big beef with BBY and that is, if I am sucker for buying a bad device, let me.

I do not need some employee editorializing on my purchase and trying to discourage from buying it, it can be the biggest mistake of my life, but that is my mistake to make, not the BBY employees.

Some people may appreciate the input, I don't and when I say I don't care, I want to buy the item regardless of how many times it has been been returned and I have no interest in anything else, sell me the darn thing, don't make me stand there for 10 minutes defending my decision before I can buy it, which is what happened when I tried to buy the open box Nexus 7.

The employee is paid to assist me, not make me defend my desire to buy any given item.

Dan

Posted via Android Central App

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Nice score! Enjoy your new N7. I love mine!

I guess there are some decent salespeople out there, but in general, people whose income depends on the purchase decisions of others are basically scum, imo.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the HTC Evo charger probably only has a 1,000 Mah where as the Nexus has a 2,000 Mah charger. Twice as fast.

I need to go and check out another best buy.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Just a terminology heads up - chargers are rated in amps/milliamps (rate of output), not amp/milliamp hours (capacity), which is for batteries. Also might as well convert to amps, so you can say 1a instead of 1,000Ma. Just easier. :)

titaniumSS

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
That is mostly true, but BBY is guilty of getting any given manufacturer to build a device that is basically the same but has a different model number specifically for BBY to avoid price comparisons and if that batch is bad it will be exclusively bad at BBY as the run was made exclusively for BBY.

Though not the case with Nexus 7 nor other mainstream devices like iDevices.

Dan

That is the hot buy laptops, aka the terrible ones under $500, that they special order. Other than that, tablets (other than their own house brand - Insignia, which there has only been two of), computers, and basically everything else is universal to Radioshack, NFM, Microcenter, etc. If you're buying the cheap computers then you should expect for them to be crap.

I can see that but, here is my big beef with BBY and that is, if I am sucker for buying a bad device, let me.

I do not need some employee editorializing on my purchase and trying to discourage from buying it, it can be the biggest mistake of my life, but that is my mistake to make, not the BBY employees.

Some people may appreciate the input, I don't and when I say I don't care, I want to buy the item regardless of how many times it has been been returned and I have no interest in anything else, sell me the darn thing, don't make me stand there for 10 minutes defending my decision before I can buy it, which is what happened when I tried to buy the open box Nexus 7.

The employee is paid to assist me, not make me defend my desire to buy any given item.

Dan

If they're arguing on why you shouldn't buy something then they're morons but if they're offering everything to you before you buy it, they're just doing their job. Trust me, they will get in trouble for it if they don't offer all the solutions. I'm not saying I agree with it, but they get written up if they continuously don't tell people about the other things or ask questions to find out if anything else is needed. Also, there are a lot of people that come in not knowing what the heck they are looking for so these things can help them out.

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Yep to be specific, PC USB ports only supply around 500 MHz of power, even the dedicated ones (the ones built into the board, not the tower). Due to the large amount of power a tablet consumes, unless you use the stock charger or one that's capable of putting out 12-15 amps, the tablet will only trickle charge. And that's only if you charge it while its off, if you use it while charging it from the PC, or a non tablet charger it won't charge at all, and may even discharge still.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

That's why I love my board. I get 1500 mA from the back USB ports.

.5 amps or 500 mA by the way, not mhz. Lol.

cactuspwr

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Got my Nexus 7 (2013) 32 G on day one @ best buy. Run perfect since but it's not like a desktop.

My experience at the store was not great. The tablet was kind of hidden and I had to ask to somebody to unlock the screen. The salesman was obliviously lacking knowledge about the tablet. Fortunaly, I did my homework.

nelschroeder

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Nice score! Enjoy your new N7. I love mine!

I guess there are some decent salespeople out there, but in general, people whose income depends on the purchase decisions of others are basically scum, imo.

Most people's income depends on the purchase decision of others in one way or another. Either directly or indirectly.

The company or business you work for probably sells a product or service of some sort. My guess is your income depends on the purchase decisions of others who buy that product or service.

Maybe you should cut these folks some slack.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

whoahbro

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Here in GA I was At my local Best Buy looking for one of the Google Chromebooks to check out... I couldn't find one in the PC department anywhere!

Finally, I saw a guy with a Google shirt on. He showed me where they had "stuck him" and the Google display- when you are facing the computer section, several isles to the left is the printer section, several isles further is the GPS and car audio section. The Google products were on the end of the isle, in between printers and car audio... Waaaay away from Mac, PC, and tablet isles... Weird.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Most people's income depends on the purchase decision of others in one way or another. Either directly or indirectly.

The company or business you work for probably sells a product or service of some sort. My guess is your income depends on the purchase decisions of others who buy that product or service.

I get it.

I'm talking about salespeople, agents, brokers, etc. who will lie through their teeth to get someone to sign on the dotted line. I know many of them and the deceitful, underhanded, and immoral tricks they'll pull without conscience to make a sale. They're scum.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
My local BB had the chromecasts located next to the high end speaker room located across the entire store from the PC dept and half the distance from the TV/AV dept.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site

Granted, my employer does not have any specific customer, so in that vane, I am very lucky.

Having said that, I could understand your argument if (and here is the big thing) the BBY employee did his/her thing and then let me go. However time after time the BBY employees @ my store argue with me about my choices suggesting different models and I have to fight to make the purchase I (big key here, I) want to make.

A few months ago I was with a buddy who has a degree from MIT in computer engineering and stopped in because BBY was having a sale on a laptop he wanted. The employee started suggesting other models and when my buddy would not bite, the BBY employee started to make stuff up about the computer. When my buddy called him on it, the BBY employee asked how my buddy knew what he was saying was wrong as he (the BBY employee) received extensive training (I am guessing from BBY) . My buddy responded that he holds a Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering from MIT and knows a thing or two about computers as well and further more playing who knows more with the customer is very unprofessional.

We spoke with his manager who did not apologize nor really provide us with any satisfaction, he just rang up the desired laptop, made a snark comment saying, "I guess you won't be needing An Extended Service Plan from Geek Squad as you hold a degree from MIT" and sent us on our way.

Dan

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Yea. Even for usb 3.0 not enough juice for a tablet. Look for a wall charger that gives at least 1 amp as a max . A 2.0 amp will charge anything as long as only one port is in use. I prefer something like the "Skiva" wall charger; 4 ports at up to 4.0 amps total. Can charge any 4 devices at once and comes with a few 'power only' usb cables that are good quality.

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Good deal! Some Nexus 10s do reboot themselves constantly but most don't. Maybe Bestbuy should try an "Open Box" store within a store to go along with the Apple, Samsung and maybe by Christmas Google stores :)

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Went to my local Best Buy yesterday. They had special salespeople there directly from Samsung and Apple. The Samsung guy approached me and wanted to sell me a Galaxy and talked down the Nexus and full of bugs. I stuck to my horses and said I'd prefer a Nexus mainly because I don't have to wait long for updates once they are released from Google. He leaves and I find a Best Buy salesman. He says he WILL NOT sell me a Nexus because they all get returned and it will look bad on his record!!!!! WHAT???? ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? I ask for his manager and then he softens his tone. He shows me the cage where they sell "open box" tablets and says look at all the returns. There were about 4 of the Nexus 32 Gig's on the shelf. And there were about 15 iPads on the return shelf! I tell him it seems more iPads get returned than Nexus, so he says they have more open box Nexus's in the back.

I see a sign about a 20% off open box electronics this weekend. I told the salesman that I want to buy an open box unit to try out. After much debate, he sells me the Nexus 7" 32Gig for $190!!!! The open box is already marked down and you get another 20% off! Great deal!

I have been testing it for 24 hours now. It seems to work pretty darn good. I'm having a slight problem with charging (very slow when plugged into my computer), but it seems to be doing better today. It took an update and I haven't had any other problems. Chrome was a bit buggy, but Dolphin has been flawless. I do wish I had waited for a 4G model, but at $190, I just can't give it back.

lemons and electronics is something I would be aware of if I were you. sometimes getting a bad phone unit sucks because all you get for replacements are other returns.. so you usually go through about 3-4 of them before you find a useable one because all the refurbish shop does is reformat the thing certain bugs and crashes etc are brought about in random ways that they don't fix.

so buying a returned unit.. for non substantial savings is a bad move by you in my opinion.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Similar experience at t-mobile. I asked for the HTC One and she gave me a disgusted look. and Asked me why I wanted that phone.
I told her it was the best phone they had in the store. She then Proceeded to tell me It didnt have a removable batter and no SD card. (like I didnt know that)
I told her I didnt care and ask her how many mAh the battery had. She looked at me cross-eyed and said she didnt know what I was talking about....
It amazed me that she was quick to criticize another phone when SHE KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT THEM!. Mind blowing.
Battery size is pretty basic compared to CPUs, GPUs, ROMs, Kernels, Frequencies, etc.

I too am a Nexus fan. So I left and thought it over and decided to buy the S4 because of the screen.
As soon as I got home I rooted it and put the GPE ROM on it. And I love. (good thing it has a removable battery and SD card, otherwise its lame according to T-mobile reps)

Andrawer

May 31, 2011
Visit site
There are 3 BestBuy's within 10 miles of my home and I just checked their Open-Box online inventory and each one has 3-4 Nexus 7's. Majority being 16gb.

I know I returned my 16gb for a 32gb when it became available and it worked flawlessly. My current 32gb continues to...and it has the latest update.

Bestbuy sales people are no different than any other electronic store (microcenter, etc). I've been a techie for decades and keep up on most technology...but occasionally I find the sales people have been quite helpful...other times they say the stupidness things that are simply untrue... I barely respond and just says thanks for the help and I'll just continue to look. Most are just kids trying to earn a living doing the best they can...can't argue with that...
I also try to be nice since I return so many gadgets to BB...probably doesn't win me any brownie points though.

Hey, at least BB is not like Microcenter where they leap at the chance to attach their sales sticker to your purchase.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma