tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Ahhhh...perhaps that's the missing link. TouchWiz has spoiled me. Thanks.

Sent from my humble Note 8.0 LTE

I tried to get an OTG cable from Amazon, but it didn't work. I gave up and found wireless solutions for most OTG things like mice and keyboards with Bluetooth.
I think Asus should have included an OTG cable and The Goog should have put a file manager in Android.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I was very dissapointed because I just inferred OTG would be supported as well as it is by my Samsung gear. The more I use this Nexus 7 the more I understand why it is priced where it is and why Samsung tablets tend to cost what they do.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Oh, I have 2 OTG cables and an OTG card reader. Now I'm debating whether I want to pay $4 for that Nexus Media Importer app. I guess I can try it...there's that 15 minute return window.

Sent from my Nexus 7

callanish

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Nexus media importer app and how it does its job on a non-rooted Nexus 7. I find it useful for backups and playing avi mp4 mkv movies directly from a flash drive that free's up space on the Nexus 7 for other use. It's the Awkwardness of the otg cable connected to the flash drive that makes it less than ideal. For just backing up, it's fine, but for continued usage, I'm still waiting on this product

Meenova.com, Welcome

to be delivered that'll make use of external extra storage that can be plugged in all the time using a micro-sd small flash drive that's a little more streamlined.

I know, it's more money and it's times like this that make you wish it just had a micro-sd slot already built in instead of going through all this hassle or dealing with the impractical 'in the cloud' nonsense, but it is what it is. I don't mind the tinkering, in fact I kind of enjoy that part; it's just as you pointed out, the extra costs that add to the original purchase cost for something that, in my opinion, should have been there to begin with. If Asus can do it on their tablets, then they were capable of adding a micro sd slot to the nexus 7, but Google has it's own business agenda ( subsidize now for a later online customer payoff ) and here we are.

heeemz

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I was very dissapointed because I just inferred OTG would be supported as well as it is by my Samsung gear. The more I use this Nexus 7 the more I understand why it is priced where it is and why Samsung tablets tend to cost what they do.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I bought couple of OTG cable (USD 2/3) and it works fine for me, I used initially Nexus Picture viewer, worked fine. This app is free but has limited functionality. I have downloaded/purchased NMI now, OTG works quite well.

However, I would have preffered to pay little more for the device initially and have the cable included as a part of original package, instead of buying it separately.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I bought couple of OTG cable (USD 2/3) and it works fine for me, I used initially Nexus Picture viewer, worked fine. This app is free but has limited functionality. I have downloaded/purchased NMI now, OTG works quite well.

However, I would have preffered to pay little more for the device initially and have the cable included as a part of original package, instead of buying it separately.

For me, it's not so much a out the cable as the functionality. On my Sammy and Sony tablet I can plug in my OTG cable to my HeadRoom headphone amp and have bit-perfect music playback. Not with the Nexus...and I'm not sure NMI woulda corrected that. I realize that's an esoteric usage scenario but one I use a lot and a part of the reason I returned the Nexus 7 for this Sony today. I like to tinker as much as the next geek but some $&@*! needs to just work...I mean it is 2013.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z Tablet "The Sleeper Dohickey?