What's the best advice on when to recharge your Nexus 7?

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
It looks like my Nexus 7 will run for 3 or 4 days with my typical use. What is best for the battery life? Should I let it run down? Should I top it off every day anyway? Is it bad to leave it plugged in all the time at home?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Leaving it plugged in won't damage anything, but it is unnecessary. Just charge when it is convenient and try and avoid running it completely down. That will damage the battery and is why Android will usually auto shutdown if it gets too low.

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Here is a link to a detailed description of how to make the most of a lithium ion battery. Likely to much info but oh well....

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Sent from my Nexus 7

Is this battery a lithium polymer (LiPo) battery? I use this type of battery in my micro helicopters. If so, they don't have a memory like NiCads so you don't have to fully discharge before charging to reach full capacity.
LiPo battery voltage will drop slightly as it discharges and damage will be caused when the voltage drops too low. I think the N7 will prevent this, but even taking LiPos down to the trigger level of most low voltage cutoff circuits will slightly reduce the max storage capacity until the battery is unusable.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I just set mine on the wireless charger when I don't need the tablet. That ensures the unit is always ready to go. I do the same with my phone.

Posted via Android Central App

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Is this battery a lithium polymer (LiPo) battery? I use this type of battery in my micro helicopters. If so, they don't have a memory like NiCads so you don't have to fully discharge before charging to reach full capacity.
LiPo battery voltage will drop slightly as it discharges and damage will be caused when the voltage drops too low. I think the N7 will prevent this, but even taking LiPos down to the trigger level of most low voltage cutoff circuits will slightly reduce the max storage capacity until the battery is unusable.

Nearly all mobile devices now have a Lithium-ion battery. They are very similar to the lithium polymer in how they charge and discharge. Neither has a memory like NiCads. Lithium ion do seem to have a bit more 'forgiveness' of careless charging habits over the polymer.

Posted from the incredible new Nexus 7

Joe Joejoe

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
nexus 7 will be obsolete before your battery is, most likely. 2 years from now you'll be seeing probably 80% of the charge when purchased...even then the battery life will still be decent enough, the charge times are rapid enough that you can plug it in for a short period and get multiples in usage minutes out of the minutes it took to charge. i.e. plug it in 10 minutes, and you'll probably get at least 40 minutes of usage out of that charge. so even if you go through more than one charge a day, there isn't too much downtime between recharges.

I look at the nexus 7 as a turn-on-and-forget device. the only thing you need to worry about is not dropping it or scratching the screen. it's not like other devices on the market offer anything better, especially at this price range.

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
nexus 7 will be obsolete before your battery is, most likely. 2 years from now you'll be seeing probably 80% of the charge when purchased...even then the battery life will still be decent enough, the charge times are rapid enough that you can plug it in for a short period and get multiples in usage minutes out of the minutes it took to charge. i.e. plug it in 10 minutes, and you'll probably get at least 40 minutes of usage out of that charge. so even if you go through more than one charge a day, there isn't too much downtime between recharges.

I look at the nexus 7 as a turn-on-and-forget device. the only thing you need to worry about is not dropping it or scratching the screen. it's not like other devices on the market offer anything better, especially at this price range.

Hopefully the battery last longer than my tab 2. It takes forever to charge and will only hold about 50% of battery life as when I bought it just over a year ago. I will most likely end up replacing my N7 next year with a Windows tablet for school though. (don't worry, I'll still keep at least one Android device around ;) )

Posted from the incredible new Nexus 7