what is a good way to connect nexus 7 to a tv?

callanish

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Well, personally I went out on a limb and rather than spend the overinflated costs for the HDMI slimport adapter, I bought one through eBay directly from China and so far I'm pretty happy with the results, especially considering that they are being priced at 3 to 4 times for what I paid.

Slimport Mydp Micro USB to HDMI HDTV 1080p 3D Adapter fo Google 2013 New Nexus 7 | eBay

So, basically all you need is something like that or one of the other slimport adapters out there and an hdmi cable. Plug it in and the picture immediately appears on the big screen.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Well, personally I went out on a limb and rather than spend the overinflated costs for the HDMI slimport adapter, I bought one through eBay directly from China and so far I'm pretty happy with the results, especially considering that they are being priced at 3 to 4 times for what I paid.

Slimport Mydp Micro USB to HDMI HDTV 1080p 3D Adapter fo Google 2013 New Nexus 7 | eBay

So, basically all you need is something like that or one of the other slimport adapters out there and an hdmi cable. Plug it in and the picture immediately appears on the big screen.

Thanks for the link and confirmation that this adapter works. I'm always skeptical about non-OEM gear, especially when sent from overseas as generally it's not worth dealing with the international shipping/communication issues/delays should a product prove incompatible.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

callanish

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
DOH! Last I'd looked domestically was a couple of weeks ago, so I guess I jumped the gun a bit by buying the one linked above on ebay just a few minutes ago... Ah well, c'est la vie - no huge rush for it, anyway.

The only consolation I can offer is that the one on ebay comes with a usb connection. Even though the slimport adapter isn't supposed to drain battery life from the Nexus, streaming or watching a video from the device sent through the slimport will, so I use the usb connection with this

11200mAh Pocket External Extended Battery Lamp for Asus Google Nexus 7 FHD 2013 | eBay

Helps with the battery drain, but any usb compatible power source can be used. At least you didn't pay any more money in comparison to the newegg version. Downside is shipping time. I can at least say the slimport I purchased from ebay continues to work well.....crosses fingers

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
The only consolation I can offer is that the one on ebay comes with a usb connection. Even though the slimport adapter isn't supposed to drain battery life from the Nexus, streaming or watching a video from the device sent through the slimport will, so I use the usb connection with this

Actually in looking at the Newegg model, it can charge-through as well. You can see the input for a micro-usb charger in the side, and the description reads "Charges mobile device during playback using power adapter (not included)."

Ah well, if the one from China works, I can deal with the wait.

callanish

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
So much for me trying to cheer you up :). I felt kind of responsible with you going down the direction I went, so I was trying to, in some way, justify it with that USB connection. Kind of a moot point now, but the heart was in the right place.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
So much for me trying to cheer you up :). I felt kind of responsible with you going down the direction I went, so I was trying to, in some way, justify it with that USB connection. Kind of a moot point now, but the heart was in the right place.

Oh, you did - I'm at a happier point knowing I'm getting a functioning unit at a good price (even if with a slightly longer shipping time).

If you drive 25 miles to get to Chick-Fil-A only to find on your way back that a new one had opened only 2 miles away, you're still eating Chick-Fil-A. And come on... Who can complain about Chick-Fil-A? :D

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Ah well, if the one from China works, I can deal with the wait.

Came in last Friday (9/20), so took just 9 days shipping from China to South Carolina - pretty fast, in my book. Works just fine, bringing up an image within a couple of seconds. Haven't connected a charger to see if it passes power, but the mirroring is perfect.

gerrya

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I bought this one from Ebay and it works with an older HDMI cable only. I tried 3 cables. I would like to buy another cable cause the one that works is 25' long but have no idea what it will like?

gerrya

May 22, 2013
Visit site
My mistake, 25' cable is the only HDMI cable I have that works, I tried a couple other 6' cables and none of those worked. I would like to get a 6' cable but not sure what to get. Whats weird is the 25' cable that works is an older 1.3a HDMI.

MongoosePanda

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I'd recommend Chromecast as well or Skifta if your TV is a smart tv. Although you'll need content from your phone or computer to play. :( I only use it at home for I can steam content from my desktop downstairs to my smart TV upstairs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

gerrya

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I have the Chromecast, but that does about 3 things. If you have your own movies on your Nexus the only way to do it is with the Slimport

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I have the Chromecast, but that does about 3 things. If you have your own movies on your Nexus the only way to do it is with the Slimport

The Google Play Movies & TV app can also play your own movies. Is there a cast option in the app yet? I don't have any movies on my device at the moment nor am I near my Chromecast dongle to check.

Actually, here is the answer (yes): https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/2998481?hl=en

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc