anyway to change the click sound?

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Settings/language and keyboard/click settings to right/advanced/keypress sound volume...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

vmurph

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Both of those answers are wrong. The first one just toggles the screen tap sounds on/off. And the second solution only let's you adjust the keyboard's volume. Which isn't even close to what the OP is asking.

I searched every setting, but it doesn't look like it's possible to select a different sound for the screen taps. Only notification sounds can be changed.

In fact, we can't even adjust the *volume* of screen taps. Apparently, volume can only be adjusted on the keyboard (which is separate from screen taps).

dakeb

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Can't imagine why anyone wants to play a sound at every screen tap.That's probably why nobody bothered to write an app.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Both of those answers are wrong. The first one just toggles the screen tap sounds on/off. And the second solution only let's you adjust the keyboard's volume. Which isn't even close to what the OP is asking.

I searched every setting, but it doesn't look like it's possible to select a different sound for the screen taps. Only notification sounds can be changed.

In fact, we can't even adjust the *volume* of screen taps. Apparently, volume can only be adjusted on the keyboard (which is separate from screen taps).

...You can change the volume level of the screen taps using the method I described, up to, and including turning it OFF which DOES change the tone if you can't hear it. If you want to change it completely, use a file explorer and swap out the .wav or .mid file. I have mine turned OFF, so I don't care what it sounds like. After you click advanced, there is an option for "Keypress Sound Volume"...it's not just the keyboard, it is called Language and INPUT.

vmurph

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Can't imagine why anyone wants to play a sound at every screen tap.

Well obviously he's not talking about trumpet sounds, lol. He's probably just wanting a more subtle, less obnoxious, click sound.

I, personally, like affirmation of screen presses, because sometimes I'll tap buttons or icons and if I hit it too lightly, it won't register. So that sound is important to me.

However, I find the default tap sound a bit annoying and would prefer something a little more subtle.

Plus, there are probably hearing impaired users who might need sounds that are higher or lower frequency. So it's not a silly request.

vmurph

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
After you click advanced, there is an option for "Keypress Sound Volume"...it's not just the keyboard, it is called Language and INPUT.

I know which setting that is, but it does *not* control the volume of non-keyboard screen taps, only the keyboard.

Yes, it's initially accessed through "Language & INPUT", but the SUB-settings (ie: sound on/off, and advanced settings) that you get when you click that little settings icon to the right, takes you to "Google KEYBOARD settings". Those only control the keyboard.

Maybe you're using a different keyboard than I am? I know different keyboards have different (custom?) settings.

I'm using the default Google keyboard, and the "keypress sound volume" option in the "advance settings" only affects the keyboard taps. I've already tried it. My volume is set at "2" and my keyboard is barely audible, but my non-keyboard taps are still loud (depending on how I have my system-wide volume set).

...You can change the volume level of the screen taps using thezxplorer and swap out the .wav or .mid file. I have mine turned OFF, so I don't care what it sounds like.

Ah! Good idea; I hadn't thought of that :)
Can you access/swap those files without being rooted? I have Astro File Mgr (Pro version).

dakeb

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Well obviously he's not talking about trumpet sounds, lol. He's probably just wanting a more subtle, less obnoxious, click sound.

I, personally, like affirmation of screen presses, because sometimes I'll tap buttons or icons and if I hit it too lightly, it won't register. So that sound is important to me.

However, I find the default tap sound a bit annoying and would prefer something a little more subtle.

Plus, there are probably hearing impaired users who might need sounds that are higher or lower frequency. So it's not a silly request.

I speak as a parent of two girls, their boyfriends, and a wife who all tap away at phones constantly. It sounds like a flock of woodpeckers. They are not allowed to use key sounds in my presence. :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

vmurph

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I speak as a parent of two girls, their boyfriends, and a wife who all tap away at phones constantly. It sounds like a flock of woodpeckers. They are not allowed to use key sounds in my presence. :)

LOL! Yeah, I'd have to agree there :-D
But I even find my own tapping annoying, however, I don't want to disable it altogether, because I'm a light tapper and need the affirmation. Being able to change it to a softer sound would be great.

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I know which setting that is, but it does *not* control the volume of non-keyboard screen taps, only the keyboard.

Yes, it's initially accessed through "Language & INPUT", but the SUB-settings (ie: sound on/off, and advanced settings) that you get when you click that little settings icon to the right, takes you to "Google KEYBOARD settings". Those only control the keyboard.

Maybe you're using a different keyboard than I am? I know different keyboards have different (custom?) settings.

I'm using the default Google keyboard, and the "keypress sound volume" option in the "advance settings" only affects the keyboard taps. I've already tried it. My volume is set at "2" and my keyboard is barely audible, but my non-keyboard taps are still loud (depending on how I have my system-wide volume set).

Ah! Good idea; I hadn't thought of that :)
Can you access/swap those files without being rooted? I have Astro File Mgr (Pro version).

No, you must be rooted. You also have to use a root compatible file manager such as ES File Explorer. I did find where the UI sounds were. They are all .ogg files. If you're rooted, you can find them in System/media/audio/ui

Posted from the incredible new Nexus 7

vmurph

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
No, you must be rooted. You also have to use a root compatible file manager such as ES File Explorer.

Aah, bummer :( I have ES File Explorer, but I'm not rooted. I've hacked every device I've ever owned, but for once I'd just like to use something stock and not have the hassles of dealing with custom firmware and (yet another) learning curve.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

never mind...mine is silent.

vmurph

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
never mind...mine is silent.
Yeah, I had a feeling that was the reason. You deleted the last post, but before you did, I noticed the link was for changing KEYBOARD sounds, which wasn't the issue. It occurred to me that you probably have NON-keyboard screen sounds disabled, so you didn't know what I was referring to.

Thanks anyway, though :)

NotSoOriginal

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
I figured it out, you need to get some sort of file explorer and root access, then you go to system/media/audio/ui/ and there will be a list of .ogg files, all you need to do it to download the sound effect you want, and rename it Effect_Tick.ogg and replace the one already there, and then it should work!
Hope this helps.