Verizon LTE NOT supported on LTE Nexus 7

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Quick update. I posted earlier how one of the retail stores made this work for me by putting in a sim from a no-longer-used hotspot device. I checked my account today and realized that I was paying an extra $20/mo. on my shared minutes plan for the tablet (rather than the $10/mo. which is the normal shared-minute charge for tablets). I PHONED this time and spoke to a VZW corporate rep and explained my issue. She went away for a while and then offered to credit my account for $20 which she explained will cover the difference for two months. She then (after some polite questioning on my part) acknowledged that the people she had spoken to were aware of the issue with the Nexus 7 and that the reason for offering me two months credit was that they were uncertain of the timeframe for resolving this issue, BUT THAT THEY WERE DEFINITELY INTENDING TO MAKE THE CHANGE IN THEIR SYSTEM TO PROVIDE PROPER PROVISIONING AND BILLING FOR THIS DEVICE.
Of course she may know nothing. But my impression (contrary to what I frequently encounter) was that she was telling me something that came from a higher level and had previously been reviewed and discussed, vs. something ad hoc made up on the fly to make me go away.

Ted,

One of the reasons for me leaving Verizon a few years back was because of inconsistent charging. They had to pay large multi million dollar fine because of this practice. You should be getting more than a 20 dollar credit if it was longer than 2 months. I would push it.

fgrandt

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I too am getting the run around from my Verizon store trying to get a SIM card for my NN7. I do have a good SIM from another Verizon LTE smartphone device that is not being used (was damaged). That phone was associated with a number, let?s say 555-1212. I am currently using an old 3G tablet with Verizon, let?s say it is associated with 555-2323. If I pop the SIM card into my NN7, will it activate on the first number, 555-1212 or the second number, 555-2323? There is a 3G phone currently using the first number, 555-1212. How do I use the Verizon 4G LTE SIM in my NN7 and have it use the second number, 555-2323? Additionally, it looks like if I were successful, I might be paying for the smartphone service (associated with the SIM card) and not the lower tablet rate.

dmiller440

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Just curious. If you purchase a device, activate it, than return it to use in the N7, isint that # tied to the returned device? What happens if someone goes to activate that other device? Does this cause a conflict?
Ted,

One of the reasons for me leaving Verizon a few years back was because of inconsistent charging. They had to pay large multi million dollar fine because of this practice. You should be getting more than a 20 dollar credit if it was longer than 2 months. I would push it.

ew800

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Based on my last couple of calls to booth Google and Verizon, I am not feeling all that optimistic about this being resolved anytime soon, but sure hope that MAYBE we hear something somewhat positive this week about this issue.

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Didn't everyone who bought one of these get a free month of Tmo data anyway? Why don't we all just use it and let VZW and Google work this out. No need to dive into "workarounds" just yet.

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Why are people getting angry and returning the device? Have you forgotten what country we live in? Since when does a company dictate what we are allowed to use? As said previously in this thread, Verizon is violating the open access rules of the 700 MHz spectrum licenses it purchased. The FCC fined Verizon a year ago when the FCC saw that Verizon was charging customers an additional $20 for tethering devices to their phones. Verizon paid the fine and now we are allowed to tether devices as we please. This is simple: The Nexus 7 has a 700MHz antenna. Verizon owns the 700MHz spectrum. I read the 700MHz open access requirements. Verizon is breaking the rules and they will change. OR they will get busted again, pay millions in fines, and then change. Either way, Verizon will change. The device is NOT at fault. Verizon's system won't accept the IMEI because the numbers don't fit? Seriously??? Anyone who has manipulated software knows how easy a fix that is. I'm going to call Verizon tomorrow with my Nexus 7 in hand and I will, mark my words, have a $10/month tablet on my plan before I hang up the phone.

Can't wait to hear back from you today. I'm not too optimistic, but wishing you good luck and good news for the rest of us!

abbott

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Don't worry you guys! The only thing we need is a dummy IMEI from a VZW iPad or Galaxy Tab or something. For instance, I know that the ATT GTab IMEIs range from 354021049000001 through 354021049999999 and you can use any number in between to change a line on ATT to $10/month tablet plan. Would someone please share their IMEI from their broken verizon tablet, or at least the first nine digits of your working one? We can fake the rest, we just need to know what the range starts with. This way we can activate online or over the phone with no grief

Thrasherx2k1

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Didn't everyone who bought one of these get a free month of Tmo data anyway? Why don't we all just use it and let VZW and Google work this out. No need to dive into "workarounds" just yet.

Because T-Mobile service is non existent in many parts of the country including here in middle Tennessee.

Posted via Android Central App

fgrandt

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I considered just activating on T-Moble will Verizon got their issues resolved but the Google Play store will only issue an RMA for a non-defect device up to 15 days after receipt. I can't wait more than 15 days for VZW to support the device.

PleaseDoNoFingerMe

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Don't worry you guys! The only thing we need is a dummy IMEI from a VZW iPad or Galaxy Tab or something. For instance, I know that the ATT GTab IMEIs range from 354021049000001 through 354021049999999 and you can use any number in between to change a line on ATT to $10/month tablet plan. Would someone please share their IMEI from their broken verizon tablet, or at least the first nine digits of your working one? We can fake the rest, we just need to know what the range starts with. This way we can activate online or over the phone with no grief

I have verified that this will work just now with my Nexus 7. For obvious reasons I will not give you my IMEI, but you could try something that starts with this:
1. take this 10-digit root 9900011341
2. stick a random 4-digit number on the end of that number
3. paste that 14 digit number in the calculator here: IMEI.info
4. take the resulting 15 digit number and check it here: ESN / IMEI / MEID Check (Free) > Swappa

I was able to take that number and call Verizon. Here's how to make the call:
1. say you have a tablet and want to activate the sim card (or re-activate a sim card) with it (don't lie, just say "a tablet")
2. give them the sim card and the generated IMEI
3. they will activate it and ask you to put it in and turn it on: put the sim into your nexus and turn it on.

That's it. It will be active.

Spirk

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I just got off the phone with Felicia from Verizon Wireless customer service. It was like talking to a child. We went in circles for almost an hour. She would tell me I didn't know where to find the device ID and I would tell her it didn't have one, only an IMEI, she said impossible, I insisted it wasn't, etc etc etc over and over again. She became angry VERY quickly and decided to try to push my buttons. I'm glad the recording heard her yell "I don't care if it's illegal!". That's going to make it very easy when the FCC catches wind of this. 47 minutes into the call, she hit mute on her end and waited for me to ask if she was there. When she came back I heard people chuckling in the background so I'm sure she wasn't consulting with someone more knowledgeable. WHICH would have been anyone in the building. These people are clearly trained, or at least encouraged, to frustrate customers until they give up. No problem. I have all day. Round 2.

PleaseDoNoFingerMe

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
  1. Take the 9-digit root IMEI for a verizon-compatible tablet (990001134) then add some random digits until you get a 14-digit code,
  2. then use a checksum generator like IMEI.info to add the 15th digit,
  3. then check your handiwork at a site like ESN / IMEI / MEID Check (Free) > Swappa.
  4. Once the IMEI is made, call Verizon, tell them you want to activate a tablet, give them the SIM card number, the IMEI, and then stick the SIM card into your Google Nexus 7 when prompted, and get on the network.
  5. Now you have a tablet account added to Verizon. Cool

Spirk

May 30, 2013
Visit site
SUCCESS! I hope.

I did more research after hanging up with Felicia and I came across Verizon's DMD - Device Management Database. If a phone is not in the DMD, an "add device request" is filled out by the rep and the new device, with it's IMEI, is listed under the customer's account. I called tech support at 866-221-4096. After entering the personal info it required, I selected option 6 for 'Tablets'. Someone was on the line not 5 seconds later. His name was Bobby and he is by far the best customer service rep I've ever spoke with in my experience with 4 different wireless providers. We talked all about the tablet and why it wasn't supported by Verizon. He agreed that the FCC 700 MHz open access regulations required Verizon to enable my device since it had a 700 MHz antenna. I told him about the DMD and he put me on hold. He came back after speaking with an engineer and said the add device request was exactly what we needed to do.

After he submitted the request, he put in an order for a "naked" SIM card to be shipped to me overnight for free. When the SIM card arrives I am supposed to call Verizon customer service and reference the DMD request and it will be added to my account as a $10/month tablet. That's why I started with "I hope"; we all know everything can go horribly wrong between now and then. I currently have a 4G SIM card from my old S3 in my Nexus 7 and I get great service here in Colorado Springs. I'm paying the $140 for voice and data until the new SIM comes in and takes its place.

THE CATCH: Since the Nexus 7 2013 is not provisioned, and therefor not supported, by Verizon (YET), I will not be able to receive technical support from Verizon. I would have to call Google if something went wrong with the device. That's what I would do anyway since Verizon has absolutely no foothold in this device like they do in all the devices they sell from their stores/website.

There is a brand new SIM in the mail from Verizon. My Nexus 7 wasn't in their system but now there is an official add device request from Verizon to Verizon. I didn't have to buy a tablet, activate it, and return it just to get the $10/month tablet plan.

I'm going to call that a win.

bobisculous

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a SIM card for a Verizon 4G LTE smartphone. I put in in my NN7, powered it up and got no service, nothing, nada, squat.

I put the Verizon SIM from my current, activated LTE Razr HD into the Nexus 7...31mbps down, 6.1 up. That's certainly not my crappy wifi connection I have at the house. So it definitely works.

My plan is to take a friend's Verizon iPad LTE to a store tonight (after taking out the SIM card) and tell them I want to activate it on my Share plan. And that I will obviously need a SIM card as the previous owner kept it. Then just make the swap. We'll see how that goes.

-Cameron

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
SUCCESS! I hope.

I did more research after hanging up with Felicia and I came across Verizon's DMD - Device Management Database. If a phone is not in the DMD, an "add device request" is filled out by the rep and the new device, with it's IMEI, is listed under the customer's account. I called tech support at 866-221-4096. After entering the personal info it required, I selected option 6 for 'Tablets'. Someone was on the line not 5 seconds later. His name was Bobby and he is by far the best customer service rep I've ever spoke with in my experience with 4 different wireless providers. We talked all about the tablet and why it wasn't supported by Verizon. He agreed that the FCC 700 MHz open access regulations required Verizon to enable my device since it had a 700 MHz antenna. I told him about the DMD and he put me on hold. He came back after speaking with an engineer and said the add device request was exactly what we needed to do.

After he submitted the request, he put in an order for a "naked" SIM card to be shipped to me overnight for free. When the SIM card arrives I am supposed to call Verizon customer service and reference the DMD request and it will be added to my account as a $10/month tablet. That's why I started with "I hope"; we all know everything can go horribly wrong between now and then. I currently have a 4G SIM card from my old S3 in my Nexus 7 and I get great service here in Colorado Springs. I'm paying the $140 for voice and data until the new SIM comes in and takes its place.

THE CATCH: Since the Nexus 7 2013 is not provisioned, and therefor not supported, by Verizon (YET), I will not be able to receive technical support from Verizon. I would have to call Google if something went wrong with the device. That's what I would do anyway since Verizon has absolutely no foothold in this device like they do in all the devices they sell from their stores/website.

There is a brand new SIM in the mail from Verizon. My Nexus 7 wasn't in their system but now there is an official add device request from Verizon to Verizon. I didn't have to buy a tablet, activate it, and return it just to get the $10/month tablet plan.

I'm going to call that a win.

That's great news! That sounds like the path to follow until they can streamline the process so that the average customer service representative or store manager can actually activate a sim for devices that didn't originate with Verizon.

I've been contemplating an LTE version of the Nexus 7 and this news may push me that direction.

bobisculous

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I put the Verizon SIM from my current, activated LTE Razr HD into the Nexus 7...31mbps down, 6.1 up. That's certainly not my crappy wifi connection I have at the house. So it definitely works.

My plan is to take a friend's Verizon iPad LTE to a store tonight (after taking out the SIM card) and tell them I want to activate it on my Share plan. And that I will obviously need a SIM card as the previous owner kept it. Then just make the swap. We'll see how that goes.

-Cameron

Well done Spirk!

My avenue above has also succeeded. Used a friends iPad with Verizon. Took out SIM card and went to store. Told them I wanted it on my Shared plan. Half hour and $35 activation fee later (she tried to make me feel good by telling me SIM cards are free, ha!), I have switched out the SIM and all is working.

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Well done Spirk!

My avenue above has also succeeded. Used a friends iPad with Verizon. Took out SIM card and went to store. Told them I wanted it on my Shared plan. Half hour and $35 activation fee later (she tried to make me feel good by telling me SIM cards are free, ha!), I have switched out the SIM and all is working.

An activation fee of $35 seems really steep. That makes me more inclined to just get a Wi-Fi version and hotspot it to my phone.

Has anyone tried to activate their Nexus 7 on a Verizon prepaid tablet plan?

msc1014

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I activated service on an iPad (which I'm returning) then I put the sim into my Nexus. Everything works perfectly. $30 prepaid plan, no activation fee.