Verizon LTE NOT supported on LTE Nexus 7

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
The difference is, for me, it's only $10/month to add it to my VZW share everything plan that already has enough data for the 8 of us on it. I don't want to pay $30/month for a 3GB plan on AT&T. I'll start out with the free month from TMobile and IF VZW doesn't have this figured out by then, MAYBE I'll try the 250MB $15/month AT&T plan to test out their coverage. If VZW still doesn't have it figured out by then, I'll re weigh my options.

Shared plan this is a better choice for you. A shame that Verizon likes to drag their feet on everything.

taxiron1

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I dont understand why people on VZW share plan dont just save from $$$ and get a wifi only Nexus , and use the Mobile Hot Spot - wifi on the VZW phone ?

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I know it's not the most elegant solution but why not pick up a Verizon LTE iPad at an Apple Store, activate it as part of your shared plan, swap the sim to your Nexus (using a microsim to nanosim adapter) and return the iPad. Apple doesn't have any restocking fees so the only expense is being out the cost of the iPad for a few days while the return processes.

tulsa002

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I just received the tablet a couple of days ago. I took it to Verizon yesterday to get the cellular hooked up and they said these types of devices are not registered on their system! When I got home, I called Google and they said that indeed the Nexus 7.2 does not work on Verizon!!!!! Also the advertisement on Google Play has changed to say T-Mobile only! I told them this was false advertising and that was the only reason I bought this device. They all but admitted that the advertising on their website the previous week indeed said that it would work on Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint. And they said they could not guarantee they would pay the return shipping despite that the reason I am returning is not my fault!!!! I am furious.

In any case, I am going to return it becuase I paid extra for the cellular component and there is no point to having done that--Unfortunately, I do need a tablet that will work on Verizon for business reasons. Nor do I want to fool with a "workaround" The only device of similar size available on Verizon is the Ipad mini, so I am going to get that instead. But I guess I should probably wait until the new one comes out--hoperfully next month.

ew800

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I just received the tablet a couple of days ago. I took it to Verizon yesterday to get the cellular hooked up and they said these types of devices are not registered on their system! When I got home, I called Google and they said that indeed the Nexus 7.2 does not work on Verizon!!!!! Also the advertisement on Google Play has changed to say T-Mobile only! I told them this was false advertising and that was the only reason I bought this device. They all but admitted that the advertising on their website the previous week indeed said that it would work on Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint. And they said they could not guarantee they would pay the return shipping despite that the reason I am returning is not my fault!!!! I am furious.

In any case, I am going to return it becuase I paid extra for the cellular component and there is no point to having done that--Unfortunately, I do need a tablet that will work on Verizon for business reasons. Nor do I want to fool with a "workaround" The only device of similar size available on Verizon is the Ipad mini, so I am going to get that instead. But I guess I should probably wait until the new one comes out--hoperfully next month.

Regretfully, I am becoming less and less optimistic that this issue will be resolved. I've made a couple of calls to both Google and Verizon. My last call to Google I was told by a Rep Supervisor that originally they thought the device would be supported by Verizon, but now there is some sort of conflict between Verizon and Google that may or may not be able to be resolved. The rep did not sound very optimistic at all. I have an LTE arriving tomorrow, which looks like it will need to go back as well. :(

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
This thread over XDA has a bit more information.([Q] Nexus 7 LTE: US networks and Verizon experiences? - xda-developers) The problem is apparently a technical problem with their provisioning system. Verizon's provisioning system only provisions IMEIs that start with 99000, which are devices that contain a cdma radio. Given that the Nexus 7 doesn't have a CDMA radio, Verizon's system is not taking the IMEI as valid. From the sounds of it, Verizon still uses their CDMA network for activation of devices. I really hope that Verizon is willing to look for a work around for this. Otherwise, this issue may not get resolved until after they've deployed VoLTE and are moving towards LTE/GSM devices without CDMA radios. CDMA may have been a better wireless voice technology, but the way it was implemented really has made it horrible for device and system interoperability. I'm seriously ready for CDMA2000 to burn in a massive fire.

Spirk

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Why are people getting angry and returning the device? Have you forgotten what country we live in? Since when does a company dictate what we are allowed to use? As said previously in this thread, Verizon is violating the open access rules of the 700 MHz spectrum licenses it purchased. The FCC fined Verizon a year ago when the FCC saw that Verizon was charging customers an additional $20 for tethering devices to their phones. Verizon paid the fine and now we are allowed to tether devices as we please. This is simple: The Nexus 7 has a 700MHz antenna. Verizon owns the 700MHz spectrum. I read the 700MHz open access requirements. Verizon is breaking the rules and they will change. OR they will get busted again, pay millions in fines, and then change. Either way, Verizon will change. The device is NOT at fault. Verizon's system won't accept the IMEI because the numbers don't fit? Seriously??? Anyone who has manipulated software knows how easy a fix that is. I'm going to call Verizon tomorrow with my Nexus 7 in hand and I will, mark my words, have a $10/month tablet on my plan before I hang up the phone.

chrisdiaz73

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Buy a verizon tablet, activate it, pull out the SIM, then return the tablet and say you prefer the Nexus. You have a working SIM for your NEXUS.

That was exactly my plan! I want to ditch my smartphone too. Just use the N7 with the $30/month 2GB data plan (on VZ) with an old flip phone on a pre-paid plan (I'm going with PagePlus Cellular).

I don't have "friends" where I can swap SIM cards, so I may have to just give T-Mobile a shot and hope they have good reception around me.

ew800

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Why are people getting angry and returning the device? Have you forgotten what country we live in? Since when does a company dictate what we are allowed to use? As said previously in this thread, Verizon is violating the open access rules of the 700 MHz spectrum licenses it purchased. The FCC fined Verizon a year ago when the FCC saw that Verizon was charging customers an additional $20 for tethering devices to their phones. Verizon paid the fine and now we are allowed to tether devices as we please. This is simple: The Nexus 7 has a 700MHz antenna. Verizon owns the 700MHz spectrum. I read the 700MHz open access requirements. Verizon is breaking the rules and they will change. OR they will get busted again, pay millions in fines, and then change. Either way, Verizon will change. The device is NOT at fault. Verizon's system won't accept the IMEI because the numbers don't fit? Seriously??? Anyone who has manipulated software knows how easy a fix that is. I'm going to call Verizon tomorrow with my Nexus 7 in hand and I will, mark my words, have a $10/month tablet on my plan before I hang up the phone.

Sure hope you are successful and can share with us how to pull this off. Every call I make to Google and Verizon pretty much falls on dead ears, with reps sounding like this is our problem.

Spirk

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I deal with stuff like this all the time at work. Referencing printed rules opens ears faster than anything else. I'm going to call Verizon instead of visiting a store because the store is just an entry point for revenue. When you bring a big problem into the store, the store calls Verizon. I will absolutely share my outcome.

ew800

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I deal with stuff like this all the time at work. Referencing printed rules opens ears faster than anything else. I'm going to call Verizon instead of visiting a store because the store is just an entry point for revenue. When you bring a big problem into the store, the store calls Verizon. I will absolutely share my outcome.

Hope you can point this in a direction that will help all of us!!

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Buy a verizon tablet, activate it, pull out the SIM, then return the tablet and say you prefer the Nexus. You have a working SIM for your NEXUS.

This worked for me. I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 LTE on the prepaid, 1 GB data plan for $20/month. I took out the Verizon SIM card, put it into my Nexus 7, and turned it on. My Nexus 7 automatically recognized the SIM card. I was able to surf the web on the Nexus 7 and provide a wifi hotspot for my Nexus 4 phone without any problems.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
My next door neighbor is an Engineer for VZW and he basically said it will work without an issue, but that VZW as a company is still of the mindset devices have to be sold by the company and able to accounted for via IMEI/MEID/ESN and changing that kind of mindset is not easy.

Dan

Posted via Android Central App

Ted Levy

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Quick update. I posted earlier how one of the retail stores made this work for me by putting in a sim from a no-longer-used hotspot device. I checked my account today and realized that I was paying an extra $20/mo. on my shared minutes plan for the tablet (rather than the $10/mo. which is the normal shared-minute charge for tablets). I PHONED this time and spoke to a VZW corporate rep and explained my issue. She went away for a while and then offered to credit my account for $20 which she explained will cover the difference for two months. She then (after some polite questioning on my part) acknowledged that the people she had spoken to were aware of the issue with the Nexus 7 and that the reason for offering me two months credit was that they were uncertain of the timeframe for resolving this issue, BUT THAT THEY WERE DEFINITELY INTENDING TO MAKE THE CHANGE IN THEIR SYSTEM TO PROVIDE PROPER PROVISIONING AND BILLING FOR THIS DEVICE.
Of course she may know nothing. But my impression (contrary to what I frequently encounter) was that she was telling me something that came from a higher level and had previously been reviewed and discussed, vs. something ad hoc made up on the fly to make me go away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18