Priscilla Johnson

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I recently used the GPS on my Nexus 7. When I started the GPS I was on Wi-FI, I left the maps app open and my Nexus 7 gave me verbal directions to my location. However, when I tried to connect the GPS to return I was not on WI-FI and it never found the GPS signal. Is this normal? I was thinking that GPS did not require WI-FI since it worked originally. Thanks for any help.

abbott

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Inside maps, zoom out until just the whole area on the map that you need for your trip is showing, then type "okay maps" into the search bar and press enter, it will cache the area of the map that's showing onto your device so that you can use it without WiFi.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
GPS signal does not require Wifi, but navigation kind of does. There were some GPS signal conneciton issues early on, so you'll want to figure out if you're having those issues. If you are, we can help you sort them out, as Google has released updates that include a fix. That said, GPS just finds coordinates, so if the map isn't available offline, then it'll just give you a blue dot without a map, which is meaningless.

You can set a map area to be available offline. The method abbott mentioned should work, but they've also added it in a more logical place. With the map displaying what you want available offline, tap on the search bar. Some info should fill the screen. Scroll to the bottom, and there should be a spot that says "Make this map area available offline". It does have a limit to the size you can make available offline at a time, so you can't do a whole state at a time, for example.

Changes in navigation also require an internet connection. You can get directions before you leave, and as long as you stick to the route, they should work, but it can't recalculate the route without the internet.

There are some apps that are made specifically to allow for better offline navigation. I've started playing with NavFree, which lets you download a state at a time worth of maps. I haven't really used it much, though, so I can't say how well it does. For the price (free), it may be worth a shot if you need to do more offline navigation. There are also some paid apps that probably give a richer experience.

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
You can set a map area to be available offline. The method abbott mentioned should work, but they've also added it in a more logical place. With the map displaying what you want available offline, tap on the search bar. Some info should fill the screen. Scroll to the bottom, and there should be a spot that says "Make this map area available offline". It does have a limit to the size you can make available offline at a time, so you can't do a whole state at a time, for example.

Changes in navigation also require an internet connection. You can get directions before you leave, and as long as you stick to the route, they should work, but it can't recalculate the route without the internet.

Even with 'saved' maps, have you tried to zoom in and out on that 'saved' map?

Also even if you get directions before you leave while in WiFi, it won't show you how to get back home if you don't have WiFi at your destination. So you can get there, you just can't get back - really nice Google!

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Even with 'saved' maps, have you tried to zoom in and out on that 'saved' map?

Also even if you get directions before you leave while in WiFi, it won't show you how to get back home if you don't have WiFi at your destination. So you can get there, you just can't get back - really nice Google!

The saved map doesn't include any satellite imagery - only roads, so it works fine for navigation, but isn't going to look pretty if you're in the satellite view mode. Now it will cache satellite imagery for some period of time, but at specific zoom levels. I've had a couple times that I needed the satellite imagery on a trip, and wasn't going to have any data connection, so I view where I'm going at different zoom levels RIGHT before I leave. Then the satellite imagery is cached, and I can view it. But a couple days later, it's probably no longer cached.

And yeah, you've gotta account for "what if I need more directions?" situations once you leave wifi. I'm hoping Google eventually adds features & function for better offline maps & nav, but they've come a long way.

Maria Esponoza

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Inside maps, zoom out until just the whole area on the map that you need for your trip is showing, then type "okay maps" into the search bar and press enter, it will cache the area of the map that's showing onto your device so that you can use it without WiFi.

What!?!? Shut the front door! Thats awesome. Thx!

Sent from my Galaxy S4 while driving.