Why the heck is the back button on the left on my Nexus 7 tablet and on the right on my Galaxy S4 phone? This is the stupidest thing ever for different Android devices to have it on different sides, instead of in a consistent position. Every time I want to use the back button, I have to stop and think for a moment about which device I'm using and which side it's on.
    09-14-2013 05:18 PM
    Samsung (and Optimus G Pro) have opted to use a non-standard configuration that is legacy from prior to the new button standards that came in 2011. At least the Galaxy S2 (June 2011) had this configuration and my assumption is, given their market share, that since they assume most consumers are upgrading from and to a Samsung phone, they don't want to change the configuration and confuse their massive base. All Samsung devices that I am aware of share this configuration, including the menu button which has been unnecessary since the end of 2011.
    09-14-2013 05:24 PM
    Interesting. Thanks for the info. Something weird is that the screenshots in this thread show the Verizon LG G2 back button on the right:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...n-ongoing.html

But the Verizon LG G2 shown in this AC blog post has the back button on the left:

Verizon LG G2 hands-on | Android Central

I am thinking of ditching my Verizon S4 and getting the G2 just so I can have the back button on the left.
    09-14-2013 05:54 PM
    My galaxy tab 2, and my Note 10.1 both had the back button on the left until the tab updated to 4.1. The note still has it on the left.

Posted from the incredible new Nexus 7
    09-14-2013 06:27 PM
    Yeah, the G2 went back to a more standard configuration, but it seems like because they had so many apps used to having a dedicated capacitative menu key, they forced their launcher to utilize a soft menu key to avoid reprogramming all of those apps.
    09-14-2013 06:32 PM
    On my LG Optimus Bright (I think sold only here in Japan) which runs 2.3.3 there are 4 buttons, from left-to-right:

Settings/Options, home, back, search

But they are not soft buttons. they are haptic feedback fixed-position buttons on the bottom, under the screen in portrait mode.

doug
    09-14-2013 08:00 PM
    Interesting. Thanks for the info. Something weird is that the screenshots in this thread show the Verizon LG G2 back button on the right:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...n-ongoing.html

But the Verizon LG G2 shown in this AC blog post has the back button on the left:

Verizon LG G2 hands-on | Android Central

I am thinking of ditching my Verizon S4 and getting the G2 just so I can have the back button on the left.
    The lg g2 has settings to change the configuration of the button placement. That's why you noticed a difference.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-15-2013 10:36 AM
    Very cool! Thanks for the info.
    mchockeyvette27 likes this.
    09-15-2013 11:24 AM