Anybody else thinks that the price of the LTE Nexus 7 is too high?

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I bought this as an upgrade for my wife, but was a bit turned off by the final price including tax of nearly $380. That's a lot of money compared to the basic Nexus 7, given that she doesn't even need half the storage. It kind of defeats the purpose of the device as an affordable solution for most people.

My questions for you guys are:

Why does it cost so much more with the LTE chip (i.e. $80 more than the wifi 32 GB version)?

Will there ever be a 16 GB version?

Thanks in advance. It just seems like both the LTE chip and 16 GB extra are way overpriced to me.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
For what you get, I don't think it's too expensive. It's basically the same as the pre-clearance price for the 16GB Nexus 4.

However, if the incremental cost for the extra storage and LTE is not worth it for somebody, they can get the base model 2013 Nexus 7 for $229. That's what I did.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Compared to other similar tablets the Nexus 7 is priced low in my opinion. Look at the Apple IPad Mini its priced over a hundred dollars higher than the nexus. The only difference between the two is the build quality and reliability which Apple wins hands down!

Posted via Android Central App

sflxn

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Have you ever looked at the prices of unsubsidized smartphones? Do so and come back and tell me the Nexus 7 LTE price is too high. Google is probably selling this tablet at cost to them. Asus is probably making a tiny profit on it.

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Compared to other similar tablets the Nexus 7 is priced low in my opinion. Look at the Apple IPad Mini its priced over a hundred dollars higher than the nexus. The only difference between the two is the build quality and reliability which Apple wins hands down!

It's even more than that. A Nexus 7 with LTE has 32GB of storage and costs $349. An iPad Mini with LTE and 32GB storage costs $559, all with the same spec'd hardware as the over 2 year old iPad 2.

You won't find another similarly spec'd tablet with LTE support for anywhere near the same price.

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I bought this as an upgrade for my wife, but was a bit turned off by the final price including tax of nearly $380. That's a lot of money compared to the basic Nexus 7, given that she doesn't even need half the storage. It kind of defeats the purpose of the device as an affordable solution for most people.

Why does it cost so much more with the LTE chip (i.e. $80 more than the wifi 32 GB version)?

Thanks in advance. It just seems like both the LTE chip and 16 GB extra are way overpriced to me.

I don't think that price differential is that absurd, especially given that the LTE tablet is probably made in much shorter manufacturing runs. It's about the same price as the Nexus phone before it went on fire sale.

BrandonEnr7

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Compared to the prices of the tablets available from carriers, this is a good deal to be off contract. I would have bought one but Sprint won't work with it, and I don't really need it when I can just tether my phone using 3G or 4G. For a little I considered the fact of getting the LTE with just another carrier on top of my phone service, but for me it just didn't feel necessary for the extra cost.

festinator

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site

I think Google is spoiling us with these low prices haha.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty