should i keep charging the tablet whenever possible?

Joe Joejoe

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
charge it whenever you feel like. I micro charge throughout the day. if I think I'm going to not use it for an hour or so, I put it on the charger. micro charging is probably safer for battery life than larger charges, less stress per charge, both from loss and gain of charge.

JohnnytheK

May 20, 2013
Visit site
so no one really knows for sure.

Actual we do know. Your battery will last the longest when kept between 80%-20%. Heat is the greatest enemy of your battery. So when it's at 100% take it off the charger. Don't leave it on over night.

Go to Battery University web site and you'll find out more about batteries than you ever wanted to know.

I've broken most of these rules and I've never noticed that much degradation of my battery. Have fun don't sweat it, but do check out battery U.

from my spanking new Samsung Note 2

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
well, some people on here wrote that they will not overcharge, because those chargers automatically shut down when the tablets are fully charged.

Joe Joejoe

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
the battery can be left on the charger. there is no risk of overcharging because the battery has circuitry that prevents over charging. people worry too much. the battery should be fine until the device is past its shelf life. these batteries are going to degrade whether you use them or not. they could be sitting unplugged on a shelf and degrade just the same.

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm not an expert on this, but did some research on the modern cell phone and tablet batteries. It used to be that to keep your batteries "well conditioned" you should run them down and then charge up and not charge so much in-between.

But with modern batteries that is no longer necessary. The battery capacity depends on how many full "charging cycles" it has gone through. But a "cycle" is not a "single charging period." It depends on what percent battery is charged.

If your battery level is at 50% and you charge it to 100%, and then the next day it goes to 50% again and you again charge it to 100% that is one full cycle (50% + 50% = 100%, just once).

The battery should be ok and hold a decent charge for at least 500 battery cycles. Micro-charging therefore should be ok. If you top off your charge when it's 90% full and do that 10 days in a row that is still the equivalent of one full cycle.

And the charging should cease when fully charged.

So basically it seems the best thing to do is just charge it when it's convenient and not really worry about it.

doug

JohnnytheK

May 20, 2013
Visit site
It's not the risk of over charging but heat. I have a PDA that is over 7 years old and I always kept it on the charger over night, and it still holds it's charge.

from my spanking new Samsung Note 2

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm not an expert on this, but did some research on the modern cell phone and tablet batteries. It used to be that to keep your batteries "well conditioned" you should run them down and then charge up and not charge so much in-between.

But with modern batteries that is no longer necessary. The battery capacity depends on how many full "charging cycles" it has gone through. But a "cycle" is not a "single charging period." It depends on what percent battery is charged.

If your battery level is at 50% and you charge it to 100%, and then the next day it goes to 50% again and you again charge it to 100% that is one full cycle (50% + 50% = 100%, just once).

The battery should be ok and hold a decent charge for at least 500 battery cycles. Micro-charging therefore should be ok. If you top off your charge when it's 90% full and do that 10 days in a row that is still the equivalent of one full cycle.

And the charging should cease when fully charged.

So basically it seems the best thing to do is just charge it when it's convenient and not really worry about it.

doug

This is a great explanation, and is absolutely the case. People tend to remember what they ounce heard, and just assume it is still true. Modern batteries have changed. I doubt Tesla wants you to wait until the battery goes down to 25% to recharge it. I have a lot of devices, and whenever they don't need to be on battery, they are on a charger. I have never had to replace a battery...

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Generally, It'll last 2 years no matter how you really charge it. By then tablets will probably be able to teleport you to work and home.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it with modern devices — just charge it when it needs it. I've yet to have a problem with any of my 5 Nexus devices.

BrandonEnr7

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it with modern devices ? just charge it when it needs it. I've yet to have a problem with any of my 5 Nexus devices.

Agreed, all of my recent devices have never had an issue with this philosophy. My dad complained about his battery dying so fast on his S4, however he works in a basement so his phone is constantly trying to find signal.

Posted via Android Central App

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I would just get yourself a charging pad and throw your device on it when you are not using it. That will ensure it is ready to go and all information (mail, calendar) is up to date (assuming you do not shutdown wifi and such). I have been doing that with my Droid DNA for a year with no ill effects on battery life, and do the same with my Nexus 7.

I have a Nokia DT-910 charger next to my bed that I put my Nexus 7 on. The charger holds the Nexus 7 at a 70 degree angle in landscape orientation. When on the charger the Nexus dims way down and shows a clock negating the need for a bedside clock. When I get up the Nexus is charged and ready to go for another day. The DT-910 even charges the Nexus 7 in it's case.

Jerry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech