Can I view pictures on my Nexus on my Google TV?

howardv

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
My parent's have a Logitec Google TV box. Is there a way for me to view the pictures residing on my Nexus on the TV? If yes, how? I've read here that this can be done via Chromecast. I think Google TV is very similar, so I'm thinking there must be a way.

Thanks for any advice!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I know for certain that any photos stored on Google+ are available through the "photos" app on my Logitech Revue. As far as casting them directly device to device or over a local network, I'm not sure of a way to do this. If you're using the auto-backup feature for your photos and/or upload them to G+, that's how mine are available.

howardv

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for that quick answer. I don't use Google+ and I don't back up anything to their servers. Just thought there may be an app to allow streaming from Android device to Google TV. Guess it's just easier to get a long HDMI cable.

Thanks again!

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for that quick answer. I don't use Google+ and I don't back up anything to their servers. Just thought there may be an app to allow streaming from Android device to Google TV. Guess it's just easier to get a long HDMI cable.

Thanks again!

You might try an app like Bubble UPnP or skifka to set up a DLNA server on the N7 and it might 'see' the GTV device as a 'renderer'. It depends on the GTV device's DLNA support.
I have an Asus Cube, but It's not hooked up and I don't remember how, but I think I used a program on the Cube to 'see' the N7 and play it's contents.

I have a BD player with WiFi and it plays very well with the N7 and DLNA server apps. GTV software sucks, that's why the Cube is in the closet.

kingargyle

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
You can fling pictures to the Google TV, if you install an app like the Google TV Remote app, or Able Remote on your phone or tablet. If you want to fling things from Chrome Web browser, you can use the ChromeRemote extension which will allow you to fling links to the Google TV.

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
My parent's have a Logitec Google TV box. Is there a way for me to view the pictures residing on my Nexus on the TV? If yes, how? I've read here that this can be done via Chromecast. I think Google TV is very similar, so I'm thinking there must be a way.

Thanks for any advice!

look here for better answers:
Logitech Revue

howardv

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
You can fling pictures to the Google TV, if you install an app like the Google TV Remote app, or Able Remote on your phone or tablet. If you want to fling things from Chrome Web browser, you can use the ChromeRemote extension which will allow you to fling links to the Google TV.

Thanks. This is exactly what I was looking for! I'm gonna give it a try next week when I visit my parents and I'll report back.

howardv

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Update: The task of viewing some pictures from my Nexus to my Google TV is appearing to be much tougher than anticipated!

I installed Google TV Remote app. But all it does is make your Nexus a remote control. Not really useful since my Google TV already comes with a nice remote keyboard. And you have to keep logging back in everytime you use another app on your Nexus, interrupting Google TV play.

After hearing all the great things about ChromeCast, I decided to give it a shot. How can you lose for $35? Got mine yesterday morning from Amazon. So far, I'm not impressed. Took me all day to set it up due since it didn't want to play nice with my routers (I have both Verizon DSL and Time Warner Cable Internet at home and it had major difficulty with both). And the disapointment continued when I found you can NOT send pictures to your TV! I'm still new at it, so maybe I missed something. But ChromeCast only works with about 4 apps and that's it! And none enable you to send pictures from your Nexus to your TV!

My research this morning shows there was an app called "All Cast" that could do what I want, but Google killed it since it wasn't approved!

For the technically inclined, I'm sure it's possible. Setting up DLNA servers and other tricks. But nothing simple and easy for the common man.

My next move is to buy a long HDMI to Micro USB cable from Amazon (ok...I already bought the wrong cable...HDMI to Micro HDMI....stupid move). If I use this cable, is everything form my Nexus display copied to my TV? Or do I need an app for that too?

Also, can I use this Micro USB to HDMI cable to input into an outboard DAC (Like the Oppo Digital Blu-Ray player) and bypass the internal DAC of the Nexus when playing music? That would be a definite plus!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo