Save Google Maps offline for travel?

jolphil

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Ok,I know GMaps/GPS may not be the best but I need an offline map to work where there is no WiFi.
I have looked and found that if you save a map you only can save a local map as it keeps saying
the map is too big,zoom in..
First, what I would like to do is to save the large Gmap data to either my local drive or to a external 16GB flash drive
via a micro USB to standard USB cable.(See below under tools.)
I do not know if this task is even possible or not.
Tools I have: File Managers,Astro File Mgr.,Android explorer,ES file explorer.
Drives: Local 32GB, Google Drive cloud,External 16GB flash via cable and Nexus media importer.(I can read the flash files)
Skills I have: Just about zero or at least limited. (I cannot even drag and drop in android)
First, I would like to know if this is possible or not. If so how can I go about it..
This is a great forum and so far I have learned quite a bit about this new tablet/OS. Lots more to learn, Thank You
jolphil

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nexus7 32GB , WiFionly, Task to fully use Google Maps for travel.

It is not possible. Google does not make complete maps available for download beyond the small ones for local off line use. Your options are to tether the table to a phone with a data connection (if your carrier will let you) or install one of the navigation apps that comes with maps.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

Buy Sygic. Google Maps is useless if you don't have a connection, Sygic comes from Tom Tom and it works like a real GPS unit. I use it on my 2012 Nexus7. Sygic stores the maps on your N7 so it doesn't need an Internet connection although it's helpful because when you do a Google search for a place it can link to Sygic just like it links to Google Maps. I set up my Galaxy Nexus as a hot spot and then connect my N7 to the GN which allows me to use both Google Maps and Sygic. In places that have good LTE coverage Google Maps can do a slightly better job then Sygic although it doesn't give you nearly as much info as Sygic, but in places that don't have decent coverage Sygic works and Google Maps doesn't.

BTW I use this window mount for my N7, it's very sturdy

Amazon.com: Arkon SM517 Windshield Mount for iPad Mini and 7-Inch Tablets: Computers & Accessories

Mtnpilot

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site

Google Maps is not practical to use without a data connection. You should try downloading the OsmAnd map app from the playstore. There is a free version that works great and doesn't need data. Think you get something like 10 (state maps, etc.) downloads for free. Works great and has it's own nav system you can use. I use it and haven't had any problems.

jolphil

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site

Ah Thanks all,
I will look into the above suggestions because I wanted to use the tablet instead of my stand alone GPS .
But I may need to rethink my options..Thanks for the much needed information..
jolphil

Edit: @Mtnpilot, I downloaded and installed OSMAms and 10 maps and so far it looks good..Thank you..

Last edited:

Adamsberg

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site

If you need a turn-by-turn car navigation, Navigon (=Garmin), CoPilot and Sygic are the best paid offline navigation apps IMO.
If you look for same kind but for free you might have look at NavFree :)

markcolenn

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
How to save google maps for offline use?
You can save any size unlimited. of anywhere.
first, you will need to download on your pc (mobile atlas creator version 1.8), which allow you to save the maps.
Note: on mobile atlas creator 1.8
select map source (google maps). zoom level (17 is good for cities).
atlas settings (format: RMaps SQLite). then create it.
then, on phone, insall (rmaps).
copy paste saved maps to phone:
(phone memory> rmaps> maps). then open
rmaps>settings>user defined maps> select the maps. Done.
it work great. i have google maps of all europe saved on my phone. enjoy.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
How to save google maps for offline use?
You can save any size unlimited. of anywhere.
first, you will need to download on your pc (mobile atlas creator version 1.8), which allow you to save the maps.
Note: on mobile atlas creator 1.8
select map source (google maps). zoom level (17 is good for cities).
atlas settings (format: RMaps SQLite). then create it.
then, on phone, insall (rmaps).
copy paste saved maps to phone:
(phone memory> rmaps> maps). then open
rmaps>settings>user defined maps> select the maps. Done.
it work great. i have google maps of all europe saved on my phone. enjoy.

Interesting. Shame that Google Maps still won't navigate properly without a data connection, so it's still preferable to use another app for offline navigation.

jolphil

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
As mentioned in an above post I downloaded and installed OsmAnd and 10 maps to my device It took some getting use to but I noticed
that you cannot enter a street address? That means that you can only get to a street..Instead of a street number it wants a building name?
Other wise it works fine for my use but what if you have a very long street? That did not make sense to me..Did I miss something in that app?
Thanks for your comments.
jolphil

Adamsberg

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Let OsmAnd shows you your destination on street basis on the map.
Zoom on a high level on your destination and you'll see the houses/buildings numbered on the street.
The street near your target number you'd add as "Intersecting street" (instead of "Building" ).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech