Cannot connect to PC via USB cable [Nexus 7 2013]

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
All,

Originally, I had no issues connecting my N7 to my PC. When connected, my PC not only found the device, but I was able to navigate around the file structure to retrieve files off the N7 and put files on my tablet. I tried doing so last night and the PC didn't mount/recognize the tablet. In fact, when I plugged the N7 in an available USB port, nothing happened at all. I know the USB ports on my computer work since I have other devices (i.e.: mouse, keyboard, external harddrive, etc...) plugged in.

Any suggestions???

J

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Cannot connect to PC via USB cable

All,

Originally, I had no issues connecting my N7 to my PC. When connected, my PC not only found the device, but I was able to navigate around the file structure to retrieve files off the N7 and put files on my tablet. I tried doing so last night and the PC didn't mount/recognize the tablet. In fact, when I plugged the N7 in an available USB port, nothing happened at all. I know the USB ports on my computer work since I have other devices (i.e.: mouse, keyboard, external harddrive, etc...) plugged in.

Any suggestions???

J

I've found USB connections to be less than completely reliable even for my non-mobile computer peripherals. Try moving your USB connections around and plugging the N7's USB cable into a different USB port on the computer. If that doesn't work, maybe try re-booting the N7 and the PC, just to see if that clears anything out that might be blocking a connection.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

Are your USB connection settings on your tablet still set to Media device (MTP)?

vmurph

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

Are you using the same USB cable you used last time? Is it the OEM cable or a third party (or "universal") cable?

Some USB cables are for charging only, and not data capable. Some are data only. And some can handle both. The OEM does both.

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site

Are you using the same USB cable you used last time? Is it the OEM cable or a third party (or "universal") cable?

Some USB cables are for charging only, and not data capable. Some are data only. And some can handle both. The OEM does both.

Thanks vmurph! That was the problem. I attached the ASUS cable and had no issues whatsoever. Thanks for all of your help.

J

Marked Ruled

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site

problem solved! go to SETTINGS then STORAGE, ,NOW you see a "usb symbol" found at most upper right then click that, now you see a options for media device (mtp) and camera (ptp)..

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
t my mobile through usb cable usb mass storage dosen't come on my mobile it only get

when i connect my mobile through usb cable usb mass storage doesn't come on my mobile it only get charging but the mobile is not getting detected:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: t my mobile through usb cable usb mass storage dosen't come on my mobile it only get

Welcome to Android Central! Which device do you have? If you have a Nexus 7 (which this thread is about), that device doesn't have the ability to connect as USB Mass Storage--only MTP or PTP.

If you have a different device, consider posting in the appropriate subforum, if available--otherwise post in the General Help & How To forum.

When you plug the device into the computer, is there a USB notification in the Notification Bar?

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

When I got this device MTP mode wouldn't show up because there were adb drivers from different device install on the computer, this is even when USB debugging was disabled. I had to uninstall drivers for other Android devices and also when connect the N7, go into Device Manager, right click on any adb device or portable MTP devices and uninstall the driver and check the box to delete the driver. Them replug it and it should try to install a new device, it have to be called "Nexus 7" to be correct.

sent via tapatalk

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site

I've found USB connections to be less than completely reliable even for my non-mobile computer peripherals. Try moving your USB connections around and plugging the N7's USB cable into a different USB port on the computer. If that doesn't work, maybe try re-booting the N7 and the PC, just to see if that clears anything out that might be blocking a connection.

Thanks! After trying other ports, I rebooted and Voila! I am found again! Thanks so much!

Snake Griffin

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

FYI if you ever have problems with this again and need to transfer things over you can use AirDroid to do so over wifi. Not a permanent fix but an alternative.

Adrian Toma

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site

thx... it was the cable... now it works perfectly... didn't know that there are cables that can not carry data but only charge devices.

A1M918

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
PC didn't mount/recognize the tablet. In fact, when I plugged the N7 in an available USB port, nothing happened at all. I know the USB ports on my computer work since I have other devices (i.e.: mouse, keyboard, external harddrive, etc...) plugged in.

Any suggestions???

J

I just signed up because of this issue. My N7 is charging fine but when I try connect it through USB cable, nothing happens. I tried to remove and clean the USB flex if there is any moisture or dust or carbon, but no positive results. I have checked all the connections from Micro-Usb pins to the ribbon cable (a cable that is hidden under battery) using multi-meter, and every thing is fine. I searched Google about this particular problem but all I found is a suggestion "change the USB Flex" but as I mentioned that I have checked all connections and everything is fine. that was all that I can do to diagnose the problem but I cant do anything furthermore. any help will be appreciated. :)

Any Suggestions ??

Last edited:

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Any Help will be appreciated !
Thanks.

Hi A1M918,

Have you tried using different cables? Some USB to mini USB cables are for charging only. That was my original issue. Make sure the cable can charge and sync data. I had to purchase one from Best Buy and they can tell you if one will work for your needs.

Hope this helps!

J

A1M918

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
hi
Hi A1M918,

Have you tried using different cables? Some USB to mini USB cables are for charging only. That was my original issue. Make sure the cable can charge and sync data. I had to purchase one from Best Buy and they can tell you if one will work for your needs.

Hope this helps!

J
jstwondrng, thank you for the reply.
Sorry I forgot to mention that i have tried different cables (Blackberry, Samsung,htc etc) all those cables works fine with other Devices. I also tried using Otg cable and connect a usb drive, but no results. even I tried different Pc/laptops but results are all the same :(

A1M918

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
I tried to get the pinout/schematic of USB to connect directly. I found THIS video. but the device is different than mine. I guess this one is 2013 and mine is 2012 October release. GSM+WIFI

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I think you're past the level of any help that you'll find here if you're already having to ohm out cables inside the tablet. Typically the problem is:
- the micro-USB cable
- the micro-USB port itself

Sorry.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois