If the form factor doesn't change, would you prefer an 8 inch screen?

Hello There1

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

The 7 inch tablet form (whether it's the Samsung, Nexus, Asus) all provide a great internet, ebook, and video experience, but comic books, magazines, or reading other non-ebook images, suffer greatly from the lack of screen real estate. When reading magazines, i noticed that the texts are ALWAYS "just barely not legible", meaning I can see them when i put my nexus right up to my face, but this discomfort would force me to tap and zoom every page i flip, which is extremely tedious. Whereas all of the 8 inch tablets (Samsung note 8.0, ipads) have just enough screen size to be able to flip through magazines without zooming in (unless i'm reading extremely small subtext). That 1 inch makes a HUGE difference, and makes magazines or my Marvel App experience. The 7 inch tablets make me "flip, double tap to zoom in, read while scrolling around, flip." The 8 inch experience is "flip, read, flip." And let's be honest, who likes to look at magazines zoomed in on one corner of the page and then tediously scroll around- I'd like to see the whole page.

With the wide and long bezels on both the length and width of the nexus 7 2013, I was thinking maybe Google can make the 2014 nexus an 8 inch tablet without changing much of the form factor (a small increase in size and cutting out a chunk of the bezels), and it wouldn't at all affect the pocketability of the device (in contrast to ipad minis, which aren't as pocketable, mostly due to the width caused by their wider screens).

Personally, I'd be the first person on Earth to jump to an 8 inch Nexus, as only the stock Android experience is the only OS I have truly loved. Like everybody is saying, sometimes their 10 inch gets too heavy, and sometimes they feel the 7 inch is too small. I personally would love to not have to buy two tablets of 10 and 7 inches, but as of now, my nexus 7 doesn't provide a complete experience. And most non-tech people (like myself) who buy the cheaper 7 inch tablets are buying it in the hopes to have 1 tablet, not two.

Last edited:

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I'd be right there with you. Only significant element of the iPad Mini I miss is the larger display at 4:3 display ratio. I'd love both but could live with the current 16:10 configuration--just add an inch.

vmurph

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
A bigger screen is always nicer too look at, but I like the size of the 7" because it fits in my HAND better. But then again, I have excellent near vision, so tiny print is no problem for me. I might feel different if my vision wasn't great.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
It's all about preference, and you'll find the same thing with regard to bezels. We've already had threads with people complaining that the Nexus 7 2013's side bezels are too *small*, because they end up touching the screen trying to hold it on the sides. Also, a tablet with almost zero bezel isn't going to be able to have nicely rounded edges, because the LCDs inside have a depth that has to be built around, so you'd likely end up with squared off edges, which wouldn't feel as nice on the hand to many folks. That too would probably end up being an option issue, though.

Little Darwin

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
If we are going to improve the technology, I would rather squeeze the form factor down and retain the 7" display than retain the form factor and get a larger display. But that is based on what I do with my tablet. My answer may be different later, but for now, that would be my preference.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt