On my Nexus 7 (2013) what HDMI to Micro-USB cable can I use?

howardv

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 7 (2013): Frustrated with HDMI to Micro-USB cable

All I want to do is watch videos, pictures, etc. from my Nexus 7 LTE to my TV. Bought Chromecast. It sucked. Only 4 apps can be used which is very limited.

So I thought of buying cables. "Slimport"...right? No go. I had a feeling some adapters may not work, so I even bought two different ones from Amazon:

Amazon.com: Skiva MHL (Micro USB) to Female HDMI Adapter (1080p Supported) for Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S2, Galaxy Note, Infuse 4G, HTC Evo 3D, EVO view 4G, Flyer , Sensation 4G, Epic 4G Touch, Rezound, Vivid, Amaze 4G: Cell Phones & Accessories

Amazon.com: Menotek Micro USB to HDMI MHL Adapter IMPROVED WITH RCP (Remote Control Protocol) for Samsung Galaxy S2, HTC Evo 3D, HTC Evo 4G Tablet, HTC Sensation 4G, Sprint Epic 4G Touch, Galaxy Nexus: Cell Phones & Accessories

If you type "Slimport" in Amazon search, these are on top of the list. NEITHER WORKS with the Nexus 7 (2013 version). I've tried different types of HDMI cables, I tried 3 different types of TV's with HDMI, I tried to plug in the "optional" USB port (which is supposed to be used for charging only) with original Nexus 7 charger...and no go. Do I need to do something special to the Nexus 7?

Anyone actually got this working??? And which cable did you use?

howardv

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: Frustrated with HDMI to Micro-USB cable and Nexus 7

As usual, I posted first, then did some research. Hopefully someone will benefit from reading this:

There are two technologies for connecting phones/tables with a Micro-USB port to your big screen TV using HDMI:

1. MHL
2. Slimport

These two are competing technologies and not compatible with each other. Be careful when searching Amazon as they mix the two in their search engines. Currently, I'm only aware of the Nexus using Slimport technology. Everyone else (Samsung, HTC, etc.) all use MHL. MHL uses power from the source (your phone/tablet) and draws a lot of power. Due to this, it also needs a separate power source, which is typically another micro-usb cable connected to power. Slimport draws very little current from the source, so it does not need a separate power source. They do have an input for power which is used to charge the phone/tablet if needed, but is not required.

Slimport appears to be a better technology, but things are rapidly changing. Although it is supposed to be standardized, there are quite a few compatibility issues among slimports. Some won't work on specific types of TV's (I hear a lot of problems with older Samsung TVs). And to make matters worse, the Nexus 7 (2013) appears to have a bug in it's slimport implementation. Based on my limited research on various discussion boards, no one has been successful in connecting their Nexus 7 (2013) to a TV using the various slimport adapters. If you have been successful, please post here with details. Although it may work initially, it always eventually drops the signal.

So as of now, there is no reliable way of transmitting pictures, videos, etc. from your Nexus 7 (2013) to your TV. There is always Chromecast, but it's abilities are extremely limited to only 4 apps. There are other methods, such as using a Google TV box, but those are limited to quirky apps which are slow and require fine tuning with lots of glitches.

Transmitting/streaming from our Nexus 7 is very useful to some of us. It's a shame Google couldn't get this right.

Please feel free to add additional info or correct what I've learned.

alcathoe

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

Just received today a Slimport MyDP to HDMI HD adapter cable that I purchased on Ebay and so far no connection problems on a Samsung HDTV. I tested Real Racing and a video and both performed flawlessly. The only problem is that the seller appears to have raised the price considerably on this particular adapter.

howardv

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site

Just received today a Slimport MyDP to HDMI HD adapter cable that I purchased on Ebay and so far no connection problems on a Samsung HDTV. I tested Real Racing and a video and both performed flawlessly. The only problem is that the seller appears to have raised the price considerably on this particular adapter.

Quote you provide a link? I did an e-bay search for "Slimport MyDP" and got lots of different ones.

alcathoe

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

Sorry I didn't provide a link. The one I purchased has gone up 6x the original purchase price which was 18.95, and now the seller is asking 118.95 ! The only reason I picked that particular seller was because it was based in the US and I thought shipping would be faster. However, from what I have read, others have purchased from China, Hong Kong and their adapters worked as well.

howardv

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site

I would prefer to buy one from the U.S. so I don't have to wait a long time for shipping. Here is one on Amazon, but all reviews said it doesn't work with the Nexus 7:

Amazon.com: Kanex SLIMPORT-ADP SlimPort to HDTV Adapter - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

Here's another one on Amazon with mixed reviews. Some say it worked with their Nexus 7 while others say it only worked for a few seconds:

Amazon.com: TGOM SlimPort to hdmi for google Nexus 4 phones, micro usb to hdmi connecter, supports full hd: Cell Phones & Accessories

There are others as well, but all with mixed reviews (works for some, but not others). The Google forum is filled with posts about slimport problems. I couldn't find a single post on the Google forum saying any of them work. This is really looking like a crapshoot. HDMI is complicated and confusing enough with all it's different versions and cable types and handshake issues.

Thanks for posting yours worked. But I don't want to spend $100+ on a cable! Specially since it may not work on my equipment. This really shouldn't be difficult, but it is.

callanish

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

This newegg slimport adapter looks exactly like the one I got off of ebay, but like alcathoe, I got mine through a seller from China as well

Newegg.com - 1080P Micro USB Slimport MyDP to HDMI HDTV 3D Adapter Cable for Google Nexus 7 2nd generation Nexus 4 Phones ASUS PadFone

It works fine for me, albeit with limited testing that included using the cable to watch a 2 hour movie, but so far I'm not seeing any signs that it's prone to failure. Running it though a Sony TV, but I'll get the opportunity to run it while on the road and then I'll see if it's built to last.

howardv

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site

This newegg slimport adapter looks exactly like the one I got off of ebay, but like alcathoe, I got mine through a seller from China as well

Newegg.com - 1080P Micro USB Slimport MyDP to HDMI HDTV 3D Adapter Cable for Google Nexus 7 2nd generation Nexus 4 Phones ASUS PadFone

It works fine for me, albeit with limited testing that included using the cable to watch a 2 hour movie, but so far I'm not seeing any signs that it's prone to failure. Running it though a Sony TV, but I'll get the opportunity to run it while on the road and then I'll see if it's built to last.

Thanks. Lots of good reviews on Newegg, but none mention the Nexus.

I have been using a Kanex Slimport that is available from B&H photo for $27 = kanex slim port| B&H Photo Video This apparently is an updated model as it does work with the 7 2013.

The strange thing is all 3 reviews on Amazon said the Kanex didn't work with the new Nexus. One even mentioned getting a newer replacement from Kanex and that didn't work either.

Heck, I've already spent $35 on the Chromecast, $20 on a couple of Micro-HDMI to HDMI adapters (ordered by mistake), and another $25 on MHL cables that didn't work. What's another $20-30? Wish there was a way I could buy stock on these cable sellers :)

alcathoe

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site

It was pure luck that I got an adapter that seems to work. I had originally looked at the ones you linked to on Amazon, but the reviews were too mixed. Perhaps keep looking on Ebay, the seller I bought from might reconsider the price increase especially when all the other adapters which look identical to what I have are so much more reasonably priced.

pete1118

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site

The strange thing is all 3 reviews on Amazon said the Kanex didn't work with the new Nexus. One even mentioned getting a newer replacement from Kanex and that didn't work either.

What are the dates of the reviews for the Kanex? I bought mine in late Sept. for what it is worth. I saw the unit in an Emai from B&H stating it had just come in.

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

Do you have a TV or blue ray player that supports DLNA or UPnP? I have the Sony S5100 BD player and use the Bubble UPnP or Sony SideView app to view pics, and vids on a Sony Bravia Xbr9 TV. The app is a server that shows the BD player as a renderer, and the N7 as the library device.

howardv

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site

Do you have a TV or blue ray player that supports DLNA or UPnP? I have the Sony S5100 BD player and use the Bubble UPnP or Sony SideView app to view pics, and vids on a Sony Bravia Xbr9 TV. The app is a server that shows the BD player as a renderer, and the N7 as the library device.

My TV's don't have DLNA or UPnP. In the past, I tried to stay away from smart TV's as I just want something for display and tuner only. My HTPC at home can do so much more than any smart-tv. The beauty of a simple HDMI wired hook-up is that it will work anywhere and with any TV that has an HDMI input without any apps, configuration, etc. This means I can display pictures on a big screen when I'm at my parents or friends.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

All I want to do is watch videos, pictures, etc. from my Nexus 7 LTE to my TV. Bought Chromecast. It sucked. Only 4 apps can be used which is very limited.

Chromecast is very limited right now, because Google hasn't opened it up for third party apps apart from Netflix & Hulu. Everyone is clamoring for the day they do, because once they do, the floodgates should open to a LOT of new function. So hold onto that Chromecast, because it should become very useful, hopefully somewhat soon. (Frankly, if Google waits too much longer, they'll be shooting themselves in the foot.)

vmurph

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

So as of now, there is no reliable way of transmitting pictures, videos, etc. from your Nexus 7 (2013) to your TV.

Not true. I have a Slimport and it works great on every TV I've tried it on. I can use it for everything; movies, photos, gaming, YouTube, streaming videos....you name it.

I think you probably just got a cheap Chinese knockoff. It's a very popular item right now, so there's a lot of fakes floating around. A genuine OEM Slimport works beautifully. The trick is finding a reputable seller. (which, on eBay, is like looking for a Bulgarian needle in a Chinese haystack)

Last edited:

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site

I purchased the Slimport to HDMI cable from Newegg and it works... Kinda...

I'm having a problem with it keeping a connection. When it works, it is beautiful displaying my tablet on my Samsung HDTV. However, within a few mins, I lose connectivity with the cables and the TV. If I pull the cable out and put it back in, the connection reconnects. Any suggestions?

J

vmurph

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

I just checked Newegg. They have 9 MyDP adapters, all with the name "Slimport" on them, and all 9 are fake.

Newegg is a reputable company, however, they don't sell the genuine OEM Slimport adapter. Analogix is the OEM, so if it's not made by them, then it's a knockoff.

------------
EDIT: one minor correction...
StarTech's adapters are technically not fake. They're not the OEM; however, the company recently started making legitimate MyDP adapters. Although I'm not sure how they're able to use the Slimport name, as it's a registered trademark.

But since it's not a ripoff company, the StarTech brand might actually be a decent adapter. Fakes are usually poor quality materials made by unscrupulous manufacturers who like to rip off unsuspecting customers.

Last edited:

rose_nexus

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site

Just wanted to thank you, Howard, for this very clear and very helpful research. I'm sure it's saved me quite a while trawling the web!

IDHooda

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site

I have found that when I use my HTC One to watch the NFL Sunday ticket, the screen will go blank on the TV but the display on the phone continues. I played with the display sleep settings and this seems to work. With Sunday Ticket, notifications come across the screen from time to time so this keeps the display active. If I set the display to "sleep" at 10 minutes, if there aren't any notifications for 10 minutes, the TV display goes dark. I haven't gotten my Nexus 7 (2013) to work at all but you might try playing with the sleep settings and see if that has any effect on the outcome.

Gone2Maui

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site

I think the problem is sometimes with the TV. I couldn't get my slimport adapter to display on my 5 year old Vizio LCD but works great on my new Vizio LED.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan