On my Nexus 7 (2013) what HDMI to Micro-USB cable can I use?

howardv

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: Frustrated with HDMI to Micro-USB cable and Nexus 7

Just got the Kanex slimport adapter directly from Kanex -

SlimPort to HDTV Adapter For Nexus 4 Phone Nexus 7 (2013) Tablet

Works great with my N7 and Samsung TV.

I finally ordered the Kanex based on your post a couple of days ago. Got it today (very fast shipping!). WE HAVE SUCCESS! So far it's worked great on my Panasonic LCD TV and my Oppo Blu Ray player's HDMI input. Everything on the screen is mirrored on the TV. I can now easily see my pictures on the big screen. I can also stream Spotify to my Oppo! The DAC in the Oppo sounds fantastic - much better than using bluetooth.

mrdunn

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

I have not been able to get 2 Kanex slimports to work on my Nexus 7 2013, but works fine on my LG G2 phone. When used with the Nexus, I tried several tvs and monitors, and they all say no signal.

Julian Bowen

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site

Having had two HDMI adapters that were intermittent but with different symptoms I was giving up when I saw a new type of adapter on ebay for around ?12 that was fitted with an HDMI plug that went straight into the TV without the HDMI cable. This meant that there was minimal capacitive loading on the HDMI signal giving improved rise and fall times to the signals. The USB connection is via a thin 1.8Mtr cable. I suspect that the problems with the normal adapters is that the HDMI signal drivers are inadequate to drive via a cable.
I've now had this adapter for a couple of days and so far it has worked with no problems and various TV receivers..
There are a few idiosyncrasies i.e. it seems to need the tv connection first, then the nexus and last the power supply. Also when there was no audio I found it had wound the volume down to zero in the Nexus but this only happened after the initial connection. I even managed to get it to work via a three way HDMI extender, the older ones gave no signal at all with this but I can't vouch for the reliability with this.

Alniter

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

I finally ordered the Kanex based on your post a couple of days ago. Got it today (very fast shipping!). WE HAVE SUCCESS! So far it's worked great on my Panasonic LCD TV and my Oppo Blu Ray player's HDMI input. Everything on the screen is mirrored on the TV. I can now easily see my pictures on the big screen. I can also stream Spotify to my Oppo! The DAC in the Oppo sounds fantastic - much better than using bluetooth.

I'm confused. When I click on that link it says the adapter is for Nexus 4 and 5 and Chromebook 11. Doesn't mention Nexus 7 at all.

Alniter

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

Does anyone have any experience with this one?

Amazon.com: Patuoxun Slimport MyDP 1080P MicroUSB to HDMI 1.4 HDTV 3D Adapter Cable with AC Charger for Google Nexus 7 2nd generation Nexus 4 Phones ASUS PadFone Black: Electronics

Gets great reviews, and the AC adapter sounds like it would be a definite plus. By some reviews, it seems the AC part just slows the battery drainage and isn't enough to charge the tablet while it's mirroring, but it sounds like a great perk nonetheless.

Gray Anderson

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

You know the reason they put up the price id because they run out of stock. This way they don't have to take it off of eBay.
If anyone does purchase for that price then they are silly and should realise.
You will see many sellers put silly high prices on their items, it simply means they have no stock and they do not expect anyone to buy.
I hope this helps.

Gray Anderson

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I totally agree with you.
It is time something was done with these cheap Chinese rip offs and we should all boycott buying from them any more.
I purchased on from eBay last week and it did however come from a warehouse in this country (UK).
I could not get this to work on any TV or Monitor and I used 3 or 4 different cables.
I complained to the seller on eBay and gave me my money back in a flash so they know they are cheap nasty things or I would not have got my money back so quick.
It was the second one I had purchased from eBay and neither of them worked.

I have no given up trying to find a genuine one for the fear of getting another cheap nasty Chinese import.
However I will look around and try to find one in it's original package and not thrown loose in a cheap envelope.

Chris Jarvis1

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site

Hi folks, literally just signed up now to post my experience with this. I have a Nexus 7 2nd edition and desired to use it with a TV. The only caveat, and I assume problem, is it must be a slimport adaptor and must be a 1080p capable TV. In my case an Asus monitor. I bought a generic slimport also with mixed Amazon reviews, works perfect for anything and everything and isn't limited to certain apps. Its a full screen mirror apparently but mostly it will be used for video and MX Player. I don't see why people are struggling, unless its user error or a duff slimport.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00F44Y6BG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is what I bought here in the UK, also charges which is very handy indeed and a fair price :)

Last edited:

Bill Wilkat

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for all this info. I was just wondering about of this this morning and I have the Nexus 7 second generation. Much appreciated!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Can the galaxy s5 shoot a video signal via the micro USB port? If so what cable would I use?
I'm not sure what your question has to do with the Nexus 7, or why you're not asking this question in the Samsung Galaxy S5 forum - you're much more likely to get a correct answer there.

FWIW, if the S5 is anything like the S3, it uses an MHL<>HDMI cable to output video (unlike the Nexus 7 2013, which uses a Slimport<>HDMI cable).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Craig Hughes

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

There are a few idiosyncrasies i.e. it seems to need the tv connection first, then the nexus and last the power supply.

Wouldn't of believed it but this works for me.

Seems to have stopped it glitching, picture would roll after 60 seconds then drop out completely.

(Nexus 7ii + generic 'slimport' with USB charger)

Last edited:

Dbusybee

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Having had two HDMI adapters that were intermittent but with different symptoms I was giving up when I saw a new type of adapter on ebay for around �12 that was fitted with an HDMI plug that went straight into the TV without the HDMI cable. This meant that there was minimal capacitive loading on the HDMI signal giving improved rise and fall times to the signals. The USB connection is via a thin 1.8Mtr cable. I suspect that the problems with the normal adapters is that the HDMI signal drivers are inadequate to drive via a cable.
I've now had this adapter for a couple of days and so far it has worked with no problems and various TV receivers..
There are a few idiosyncrasies i.e. it seems to need the tv connection first, then the nexus and last the power supply. Also when there was no audio I found it had wound the volume down to zero in the Nexus but this only happened after the initial connection. I even managed to get it to work via a three way HDMI extender, the older ones gave no signal at all with this but I can't vouch for the reliability with this.

Thanks for all the info on this thread.

I've been madly trying the Slimport adaptor I got off ebay, Nexus II 2013 and my 'working' three cheap HDMI cables in my house and two monitors / TVs. :-[

Only got it to work a few times for a few seconds :-! with my shortest 1m HDMI cable, otherwise I just got blackness and some flickering when I maximised apps or changed things on the screen somehow and that was all.
Did find the order of plugging in was important - monitor, tablet then power works well. Might be something to do with the HDMI handshake that needs to occur, thanks for that info!

Was just about to buy a cable like your recommended Julian, because I'm sure you're right that it wasn't making enough signal to go through the cables, when I scored a 3m top quality HDMI cable. I tried it and it worked straight away!
If yours isn't working, don't blame it on being a cheap copy (cos most things are made in China anyway), do try the best quality HDMI cable you can get.

Here are some of the specs of hte top quality HDMI cable that worked straight away:

• All of the cables and leads in the Ultra series benefit from a copper centre conductor that is oxygen free, ensuring low electric resistance, high conductivity, good signal transmission and ultimately giving a lower loss
  • Fantastic image quality with high stability and fidelity is achieved through Foamed PE or solid PE used as the dielectric, whilst the video cables impedance is true 75 ohm. The Audio cables benefit from a lower capacitance which ensures fantastic sound quality
  • Minimal interference on the circuit allowing for a higher signal to noise ratio to be achieved using shielded OFC spiral (braiding) or aluminium foil + spiral (braiding)
  • Highly flexible and durable PVC outer jacket provides protection against twisting and looks elegant
  • The connectors are 24K gold plated to achieve The Ultimate Connection™ Note: The structure of the Optical, Scart & S-VHS Cables may alter slightly to the points mentioned above

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt