So I'm in the market to get a tablet. I have Nexus 4. I'm going to school to be a teacher. So I'd like to be able to use it for teaching as well. Not sure what tablet to get that's nice to compliment my phone and would work well for personal and work usage.

Thanks.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-13-2013 11:29 PM
    Can you define what your personal & work usage would be, or you hope to be? Teaching doesn't really narrow it down that much, as there are so many different topics, environments, student types, etc for teaching. (Thumbs up for being a teacher, BTW.)
    10-13-2013 11:35 PM
    Can you define what your personal & work usage would be, or you hope to be? Teaching doesn't really narrow it down that much, as there are so many different topics, environments, student types, etc for teaching. (Thumbs up for being a teacher, BTW.)
    Personal - gaming, browsing, FB, Twitter, videos, etc.

Work - Physical Education Teacher - doing assessments, attendance, etc.
    Can't really narrow teaching any more as I'm still in school and going to be student teaching next semester so I don't know anything in terms of environment and student types.
    My professors now have iPads and they have apps that they use for attendance and other things.

Thanks!

10-13-2013 11:42 PM
    Personal - gaming, browsing, FB, Twitter, videos, etc.
    The Nexus 7 would do well for all those things.

Can't really narrow teaching any more as I'm still in school and going to be student teaching next semester so I don't know anything in terms of environment and student types.
    My professors now have iPads and they have apps that they use for attendance and other things.
    I would ask around about whether there are certain apps that the other teachers prefer or even are required to use, and see if they are available on both iOS and Android. Unfortunately, there are some things that aren't available on all platforms, so it would stink to get a great Android tablet, but then find out that it just can't do what you need it to. If there aren't any platform specific apps, then you'd probably be well served by the Nexus 7. The portability & pocket-ability would probably be super handy compared to something like the iPad Mini, which is just larger enough to be difficult to fit in a pocket (plus the current model is far inferior on most hardware specs, though a new one is rumored to be announced very soon.)
    BlackBerry Guy likes this.
    10-13-2013 11:51 PM
    If you will be doing a lot of entry/typing I would recommend that you look at a 10" tablet instead of a 7". The Nexus 10 is still a great option, but you may wish to wait a bit and see if they release a new model in time for the holidays.
    10-14-2013 08:49 AM
    Well if you're going to be in a lot of classroom environments (Health?) I recommend something with video out so that you can do up presentations and present them through the tablet. When I was in school for education, I dreaded having to use school computers to present my work but this was in the bad old days when I had to lug a heavy Windows XP laptop around lol. Fortunately the 2nd gen Nexus 7 does have a video out feature so that makes it a good choice if you buy the adapter.

The 7'' form factor is great for reading and portability but is not very good for doing heavier editing work. If you're looking to add a lot of productivity software to your device, you might be happier with a larger tablet as you can throw in a bluetooth keyboard and have yourself a decent laptop replacement. If you've got gym shorts with decent pockets though, the 7'' can slip right in which might be an issue if you're outside a lot and need the device on hand during class.

I'd also recommend you take a peak at the Samsung Note tablets. They are a bit more expensive but it sounds like having a keyboard won't always be practical for you and the stylus/note taking features might be useful if you are outside and need to jot something down real fast.
    10-14-2013 08:58 AM
    Actually, I just had the thought of another option to consider. If having a Windows tablet would be handy, Dell has some upcoming tablets they recently announced that sound pretty good, at a low price point, and with the full version of Windows. They have an 8" one that starts at $300 that's very tempting. Just gotta figure out what you want/need the tablet to do exactly. I love my Nexus 7, and recommend it wholeheartedly if it best meets your needs, but there's a chance something iOS or Windows might have an advantage in your situation.
    10-14-2013 10:54 AM
    If you will be doing a lot of entry/typing I would recommend that you look at a 10" tablet instead of a 7". The Nexus 10 is still a great option, but you may wish to wait a bit and see if they release a new model in time for the holidays.
    I just think a 10 inch tablet would be too big...

10-14-2013 03:39 PM
    Actually, I just had the thought of another option to consider. If having a Windows tablet would be handy, Dell has some upcoming tablets they recently announced that sound pretty good, at a low price point, and with the full version of Windows. They have an 8" one that starts at $300 that's very tempting. Just gotta figure out what you want/need the tablet to do exactly. I love my Nexus 7, and recommend it wholeheartedly if it best meets your needs, but there's a chance something iOS or Windows might have an advantage in your situation.
    Does the Nexus 7 compliment a Nexus 4?

10-14-2013 03:39 PM

In what way? Most likely, if you like the Nexus 4, you'll probably like the Nexus 7. You'll probably find yourself using one more for one thing, and the other more for other things. I haven't bothered installing many games on my Droid Maxx, because I generally use my Nexus 7 more for games. There's also more & more apps that do well across multiple devices, syncing data, etc, so that is really nice.
    10-14-2013 03:44 PM
    I'd say maybe the Galaxy Note 8
    10-14-2013 04:11 PM

My nexus 7 compliments my 5s.

10-14-2013 04:13 PM
    My experience was that a 10 inch is harder to type on than a smaller tablet, because the keys are too big and far apart.

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app
    10-14-2013 06:27 PM
    get an iPad, sorry I didn't, got the Galaxy Note 8.0, Android updates things and doesn't ensure the software changes work and then no one will help.
    10-14-2013 06:44 PM
    get an iPad, sorry I didn't, got the Galaxy Note 8.0, Android updates things and doesn't ensure the software changes work and then no one will help.
    Sadly, I tend to agree sometimes....we like Android for the updates, but when it doesn't work or Google screws up, we pay the price. Luckily, my N7 2013 is all sorted out...and it's been a champ for 2 months now.

I have an iPad 2 too...so if I want a 9/10 screen, i've got one. But I also agree about typing...it sucks on the big tablets....that's why I have a blue tooth Apple keyboard.

Still, it's best to have "both"...the best of two worlds; Apple and Android.....7" and 9/10"
    douglerner likes this.
    10-14-2013 07:22 PM
    The nice thing about the Nexus line is that they are stock Android and will get the updates from Google whereas OEM branded tabs like the Galaxy might not. I still really like the Note and what it brings to the table, which is why I'm inclined to recommend it.

If you like the Nexus 4, you will find that the 7 does things the same way for the most part. Layouts, icons, and apps are all very similar. The Nexus 7 is a good value at its form factor but doesn't include support for SD cards which is annoying. The 1st gen model doesn't have video out either but fortunately they added video out on the new N7, which makes it one of the better values on the market.

I'd somewhat agree with complaints about the on screen keyboard on a 10" tab like the Nexus 10 but a BT keyboard can help in many situations with that (sometimes not practical though)

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4
    10-14-2013 07:26 PM
    I've been where you're at. You do not want to go to teacher's college relying on a tablet alone. I hope you have a laptop first for the serious stuff.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    10-14-2013 09:48 PM
    I've been where you're at. You do not want to go to teacher's college relying on a tablet alone. I hope you have a laptop first for the serious stuff.

I do have a laptop. I'm almost done with school. Will be student teaching in January and graduating in May. Just want a tablet for personal and maybe work use.

10-14-2013 11:47 PM
    I don't have anything useful to add. I basically agree with most of the comments made above. I just felt like adding how much I like these forums. People aren't like rabid Apple fan-boys. And they aren't haters either. People don't snipe at each other and generally try to be objective about pluses and minuses about all the devices and systems.

As someone who also "swings both ways" with my iPhone 5, iPad 2 and the Nexus 7, which I have gotten to really like, I appreciate the thoughtful, useful comments in this community.

That said, I still think tablets in general are more consuming devices than production devices. If for teaching you had to prepare lesson plans, for example, I think you would pull your hair out with an Android or iPad tablet, even with a Bluetooth keyboard. However, if you had to do input on one of those devices, the gesture (swype) input on the Nexus 7 is far easier than key-by-key typing on the iPad. On the other hand, I think SIri voice input is somewhat better than voice dictation on the Nexus - especially when it comes to punctuation marks and quote marks and things like that. Nobody seems to be able to sort out how to use punctiation on Android, and Siri dictation generally works well with formatting.

Sort of rambling again, so I'll stop now.

doug
    10-15-2013 03:28 AM
    I do have a laptop. I'm almost done with school. Will be student teaching in January and graduating in May. Just want a tablet for personal and maybe work use.

In that case I'd put the lion's share of your purchase choice on what's most fun for personal use. He's right, tablets are mostly consumption devices

10-15-2013 05:02 AM
    Beware of the monkey's paw! Do you want to be 'locked in', or do you want quick updates where the user is the beta tester?
    Pick your poison.
    10-15-2013 03:47 PM