Movie Stutter, playing from OTG Cable?

markdek

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I recently tried playing an avi file off my otg cable/usb flash drive, and It is really slow....w/ stuttering, etc. Many people are able to do this, but not me.

I played the same avi movie directly from the sd card on my Nexus 7 2013, and it works good.

I've tried Dice Player, MX Player, BSPlay....none work. I have NO root, but use Nexus Media Importer to access my USB drive via the OTG.

And, I Dont' think it's the usb flash drive speed....it should be fine, theoretically. The card has over 20 Mbps read.

Perhaps AVI has particular problems....it's only a 1 GB movie file. 1391 kbps Total Bitrate.....

horseflesh

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I have played more demanding files, from a cheap thumb drive, via OTG, with no problems. I would suspect some weird file format issue. Can you transcode it to another format?

markdek

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
OK, the MP4 movie worked like a champ from the otg cable/usb flash drive........yippieeeeeee!!!

I'll have to be more careful about movie formats, or the quality of the movies/formats.

Wonderful, now I have an extra 16gb of space for music/movies....or how ever big I choose to get w/ a usb flash drive.

Loving it.

callanish

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Avi files are the only media files that I've came across stuttering when using the Nexus media importer app whether that's through an otg cable or meenovas micro sd adapter. If you copy the file from the importer app directly to the nexus, it will play fine as you've found out. It has to be a limitation or a bug within the nexus media importer app, because I can run the same avi file using the bs player app streamed from the Seagate wireless plus to the Nexus without any stuttering issues.

Last edited:

callanish

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
If you use Nexus Media importer, it says on the app page that AVI is not supported.

Not true. The FAQ says otherwise

Nexus Media Importer

What File Types Does Nexus Media Importer Support?

Pictures: NMI currently can copy and stream jpg images. *It can copy Canon and Nikon raw images (cr2 & nef).
Videos: NMI can stream videos in the following formats: mp4, mkv, avi, wmv, mov, ts, m2ts, m2t, mts, m4v, ogv, asf and srt. NMI can stream all of these formats, but you need to install a player that can handle them. *There a many free ones available on the Play Store.
Music: NMI can stream: .mp3, m4a, wav, oga, ogg and flac.
Docs: NMI can stream text files through the browser of your choice.*

callanish

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I think you're missing the point of my post. The Nexus 7 can play all those files with no issues whatsoever with the right player app and directly from the device itself. The problem with these avi files, and it's just some of them in my case, is when they are played using nexus media importer with either the otg cable or the Meenova microsd adapter, and that's where avi files start to stutter. Copy them over directly to the nexus 7 and you won't encounter this problem. No conversion software is needed. Just use the nexus media importer copy to folder option and the same media file that stuttered using the otg cable will work fine directly played from the device. It's an app problem, not a limitation of the Nexus 7's ability to play mkv and avi files.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay