Nexus 7 (2013) WIll not Power On - 5x LED Blink - FBoD (Five Blinks of Death)

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else here having this issue with their 2013 Nexus 7? I picked mine up tonight and it wouldn't turn on, so I plugged it in. The LED just blinks five times, no matter how long I hold the power button. I also cannot get it to boot into recovery.

I found some references to this issue on Google Groups, but no solutions. How wide spread is this and has anyone found a solution?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else here having this issue with their 2013 Nexus 7? I picked mine up tonight and it wouldn't turn on, so I plugged it in. The LED just blinks five times, no matter how long I hold the power button. I also cannot get it to boot into recovery.

I found some references to this issue on Google Groups, but no solutions. How wide spread is this and has anyone found a solution?
If you just go it can't you return it?

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
If you just go it can't you return it?

I got it on July 26th from Best Buy. Their return/exchange policy is only 15 days. I'm sure it is covered by warranty, but I don't want to go through that hassle if an easy fix exists.

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I saw this w/ the one I returned as well (it also randomly rebooted and randomly ate all the batteries overnight).

Plug it into the charger and let it charge up a bit. Then hold the button down for over 30sec to a minute (yep, weird to hold it that long).

Still feels like a driver bug or some sort of hardware issue to me so I haven't bought a replacement yet :-(

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Plug it into the charger and let it charge up a bit. Then hold the button down for over 30sec to a minute (yep, weird to hold it that long).
Still feels like a driver bug or some sort of hardware issue to me so I haven't bought a replacement yet :-(
That worked. I left it on the charger for about 90 minutes, then tried again. It started up just fine. It was almost at 100% last night, so something happened to run it down that much in 18 hours.

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
That worked. I left it on the charger for about 90 minutes, then tried again. It started up just fine. It was almost at 100% last night, so something happened to run it down that much in 18 hours.

Yep. Same symptom w/ the one I returned. Random battery drain. It wasn't the apps because I had the same apps loaded on the N7 2012...actually less apps on the N7 2013 because not all were compatible w/ the hires screen.
This and the random reboots drove me nuts :p

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Wow, I really wanted to buy a N7 but this is making me rethink. Do tablets support CyanogenMod as well? Might go with something else and do that

Posted via Android Central App

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Wow, I really wanted to buy a N7 but this is making me rethink. Do tablets support CyanogenMod as well? Might go with something else and do that

Yes, CM is working on a version for the Nexus 7 2013, but it's not past the nightly only builds yet.

LEMONGRAB

Banned
Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Your post day is one day ago and you claimed to have picked it up tonight. Did you mean that you used your hand to grab and lift the device off another surface to bring closer to your face or am I just confused here?

SSgS|||_2_DroidCentral

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Your post day is one day ago and you claimed to have picked it up tonight. Did you mean that you used your hand to grab and lift the device off another surface to bring closer to your face or am I just confused here?

SSgS|||_2_DroidCentral

That was clarified in the third post. I have had the unit for months.. I was referring to actually grabbing and lifting the unit from a desk in my home. Sorry for the confusion.

Paul Matei

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Had the same problem, it is because the battery is completely drained, just leave it plugged in for an hour or so and then try booting, it will work.

abiSawyer

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys,
I also experienced the FBoD issue with my Nexus 7 (2nd gen), but after letting it charge for a few minutes, it is now booting up perfectly.
Still, I have some issues that I hope someone can help me with:
Last week my tab fell into a bucket of water, bad luck :(, and half of it got submerged for about a second or so. It was still working fine by then and I was able to immediately switch it off. I dried it with a vacuum cleaner as much as possible and left it in a bag of rice for a few days. Now the only issues I have noticed so far are as follows:

1. The LED notification light always stays on (always white) even when the device is switched off. The light intensity changes from time to time while using the tab.

2. Upon initial boot-up, the widgets don't work, but when I remove and add them again to the home screen, then they work fine.

Other than that I can use my tab like before, my guess regarding the LED light is that something is still grounded or maybe some wiring got misaligned when I vacuumed it. I didn't disassemble anything yet though, but I doubt that the warranty will cover this so I am tempted to open it up. Just let me know your thoughts and suggestions please. :)

Thanks!
- Erwin

abiSawyer

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Just an update, the widgets are working fine now at boot-up. It probably just took them a little longer to initiate.
And by the way, I'm so happy that my tab is still alive! :) I just hope I can fix this LED issue.

jonnyboo6777

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Just an update, the widgets are working fine now at boot-up. It probably just took them a little longer to initiate.
And by the way, I'm so happy that my tab is still alive! :) I just hope I can fix this LED issue.

I don't think it is the vaccuming that caused the problem. I got this same issue after recovering from the FBoD on my nexus 7. Notification light blinks very slowly all the time. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Chris Jeon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem with the notification light. It is constantly on and changes from going dim but mostly on and its even on when the tablet is turned off! Its very strange. I was wondering if anyone knows how to replace the front led/notification light. Where do u go to buy individual parts? The best sites anyone know? Any instructional videos?

isaac_480

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
i have also been having this problem i was reading on the kindle app then pluged it in at 30% and i picked it up in the morning expecting it to be fully charged and it does not turn on. i tried holding the power button thinking that it must have not charged correctly but all that happened was a small white light near the charger blinked 5 times. my nexus has been working fine before this and i have almost had it for 14 months and used it daily. i have been keeping it charging every night and if it does not charge to 100% overnight i let it charge all the way and also i have only ran it down to 0% very few timesi have been on multiple websites recommending what to do i have checked to make sure the wall out lit was working and that the cord was working and both are. if anyone has the slightest idea of what is happening please respond asap.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670