GPS in airplane?

Gary300

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Tried to use the GPS in my Nexus 7 FHD on an airplane trip last week and found that it would not pick up any satellites, even after 5 minutes or so of trying. Anyone ever been able to see where they are or altitude when flying? Thinking mabe the metal skin of the aircraft blocks the GPS signals. Thoughts?

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I tried on a recent flight but couldn't get good satellite reception even though next to a window. My Garmin car unit did, though. In the past, with different Garmin devices I have had to use an external antenna to boost the signal but the newer units have better antennas & receivers that generally work. The N7 does not it would appear.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Are we talking about a commercial aircraft or one you are flying? If it is commercial it is often very hard to get signal. Even if you are seated at the window the opening is very small. The signal will not penetrate the skin with any regularity. On a private plane if you are in the front you can put the unit on the dash and it has a pretty clear view of the sky. On my plane I used to use a old Windows Mobile phone and it did fine.

Gary300

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I was flying in an Airbus A320, middle section of the plane in an isle seat at around 35,000 ft when I tried it. Works great in my car with no Wi-Fi connection. Sygic is the GPS app I was using.

asus_usa

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
It really shouldn't depend on the Wifi connection. I think it's just hard to get a good signal sitting inside a big plane like that - near a window or not.

ohmslaw

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
GPS and WiFi are two separate things. As far as receiving GPS there is a thread not too far down with 11 pages of discussion about poor GPS reception in the 2013 Nexus. Perhaps that may be part of the reason.

- - - Updated - - -

GPS and WiFi are two separate things. As far as receiving GPS there is a thread not too far down with 11 pages of discussion about poor GPS reception in the 2013 Nexus. Perhaps that may be part of the reason.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I could be mistaken, but it was my understanding that in order for GPS to return a location it requires spotting a minimum of 3 satellites to triangulate at all, and 4 to get an accurate fix 3-dimensionally. Encased in a metal tube with limited 'ports' for signal, that could make become exceedingly difficult if you're not seated right at a window (and still challenging there).

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I was flying in an Airbus A320, middle section of the plane in an isle seat at around 35,000 ft when I tried it. Works great in my car with no Wi-Fi connection. Sygic is the GPS app I was using.

I think you can forget about getting much of a signal in that situation. Lots of metal between you and the sky. In your car you have big glass windows through which the gps signal can pass.

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Tried to use the GPS in my Nexus 7 FHD on an airplane trip last week and found that it would not pick up any satellites, even after 5 minutes or so of trying. Anyone ever been able to see where they are or altitude when flying? Thinking mabe the metal skin of the aircraft blocks the GPS signals. Thoughts?

The airplane's GPS antenna is on the outside of the plane for a reason ;) Even when I'm piloting a small plane, I like to use the external antenna because in the cockpit I've lost my GPS signal on occasion. Only for a second or two, but still...I like a consistent signal.

The skin does block the signal. When flying as a passenger, I've only been able to get a signal with my Garmin 296 using the external antenna pressed up against the window. With the current security BS, I wouldn't recommend that anymore.