New to Android - Can't get Hotword Detection to work.

Jowiso

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone -

I'm new to the world of Android! The Nexus 7 (2013) is my first real Android device, and so far I'm absolutely loving it. What an awesome display on this thing...

Anyway - everything is amazing, except I cannot get Hotword Detection to work. I've read all of the other forum posts and tried all the suggestions, but it still doesn't work. Am I missing something? If Hotword Detection is checked, that means I should be able to say "Google" or "Ok, Google" to activate the search. From anywhere, correct? Not just within Google Now?

If so - it doesn't work. Yes - my language is set to English (US). Yes, I've cleared the Google Search cache and "reinstalled" Google Now. Yes, I've restarted the device. Yes, I've unchecked the Hotword Detection box and then rechecked it. Yes, I've changed my language to another language and then back to English (US). Yes, I've updated the English (US) voice recognition pack. Still, I cannot get it to work. One thing I thought of on the way to work this morning - is it possible to actually uninstall the Google Search app? Like I said, I cleared the cache and then opened Google Now and went through the "installation" process of Google Now (agreeing to terms, etc.), but I didn't actually uninstall the Search app. Is this possible? Would it help?

I'm looking for any other advice (other than a hard reset - which I might do, if necessary). I've tried every bit of advice on the forums, but I still haven't had luck. Am I using Google Now wrong? Should I only be able to say "Ok, Google" within Google Now and not from anywhere on the device?

Thanks, all! Looking forward to being a part of the Android/Google world!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone -

I'm new to the world of Android! The Nexus 7 (2013) is my first real Android device, and so far I'm absolutely loving it. What an awesome display on this thing...

Anyway - everything is amazing, except I cannot get Hotword Detection to work. I've read all of the other forum posts and tried all the suggestions, but it still doesn't work. Am I missing something? If Hotword Detection is checked, that means I should be able to say "Google" or "Ok, Google" to activate the search. From anywhere, correct? Not just within Google Now?

If so - it doesn't work. Yes - my language is set to English (US). Yes, I've cleared the Google Search cache and "reinstalled" Google Now. Yes, I've restarted the device. Yes, I've unchecked the Hotword Detection box and then rechecked it. Yes, I've changed my language to another language and then back to English (US). Yes, I've updated the English (US) voice recognition pack. Still, I cannot get it to work. One thing I thought of on the way to work this morning - is it possible to actually uninstall the Google Search app? Like I said, I cleared the cache and then opened Google Now and went through the "installation" process of Google Now (agreeing to terms, etc.), but I didn't actually uninstall the Search app. Is this possible? Would it help?

I'm looking for any other advice (other than a hard reset - which I might do, if necessary). I've tried every bit of advice on the forums, but I still haven't had luck. Am I using Google Now wrong? Should I only be able to say "Ok, Google" within Google Now and not from anywhere on the device?

Thanks, all! Looking forward to being a part of the Android/Google world!

Welcome to the forums.
To my knowledge, the only device that is capable of activating Google Now from any screen, even off, is the Moto X. Any other device you have to have Google Now open.

Jowiso

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.
To my knowledge, the only device that is capable of activating Google Now from any screen, even off, is the Moto X. Any other device you have to have Google Now open.

Ha! If this is true, you've saved me a ton of future headaches tonight. Thanks very much! Then I assume everything is working as intended.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ha! If this is true, you've saved me a ton of future headaches tonight. Thanks very much! Then I assume everything is working as intended.

My S3 I had to go into Google Now. But I think that is going to be a future integration into Android.

Jowiso

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Need to first set N7 to "hear". Swipe up from bottom for this.
Seems dumb. Just as easy to tap the MIC icon.

Thanks, both of you. I thought that Hotword Detection would work from anywhere on the device. That's how I think it should be in order to be truly useful. If I need to touch the display to activate it anyway, why not just touch the mic button, like you said? I was under the impression that it worked like the new Microsoft Kinect that would constantly listen for the "Xbox On" command.

Hopefully it will be added in future versions of Android.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool