After reading a couple of threads about people having trouble turning their N7 on, I've got a question....since I've had my N7, for about 2 months, I've always held down the power button till the Google logo appears and then releasing it. Never have had a problem. Is this the proper way to turn it on? Or should it come on with just a press and release of the button? (OK, that's two questions) No biggie, just wondering.
    10-31-2013 05:05 AM
    From a powered down state, you do have to press and hold the button until the screen turns on.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-31-2013 07:03 AM
    After reading a couple of threads about people having trouble turning their N7 on, I've got a question....since I've had my N7, for about 2 months, I've always held down the power button till the Google logo appears and then releasing it. Never have had a problem. Is this the proper way to turn it on? Or should it come on with just a press and release of the button? (OK, that's two questions) No biggie, just wondering.
    If you actually bothered to power down your Nexus 7 then yes, you must hold the power button until the Google logo appears.

But most people don't turn off the power their Nexus 7. They just let it naturally sleep. Or rather, go into a "locked" state. In that case, just a press and release will wake it up. And if you have a case which supports it (like the Poetic Slimline) it will turn off and on automatically as you close and open the case.

doug
    10-31-2013 08:35 AM
    But most people don't turn off the power their Nexus 7.
    Maybe you don't, but I wouldn't say most people. Practically everyone I know shuts down their tablet when it is not going to be used for a while.
    10-31-2013 09:12 AM
    Maybe you don't, but I wouldn't say most people. Practically everyone I know shuts down their tablet when it is not going to be used for a while.
    I never shutdown any of my tablets. iPads will go for a couple of months without charging. The Nexus 7 lives on a wireless charging pad so is always ready to go.
    10-31-2013 12:07 PM
    I don't know of anyone that does power theirs down regularly (I'm more thinking of iPad owners, but the concept is the same for all tablets). What is your definition of "a while"? If the tablet isn't going to be used for a few days, then I could see turning it off, but if you're talking a few hours or even a day, then it's a waste of time to fully shut it down. It shouldn't use much battery at all while not being actively used, and it doesn't really help the tablet any to be power cycling it that often.
    10-31-2013 12:08 PM
    My idea of not using is hours. What would be the point of leaving it on, especially if you have a smartphone with you all the time?
    10-31-2013 01:34 PM
    OP -- Good question!
    Here are a couple of observations:
    1- With a continuous button press my new N7 seems to take longer to fully power-up than my old N7. Perhaps its due to the 16GB (vs 8 GB) memory in the "new"
    2- Press-release followed by another press-hold seems to boot-up faster
    3- Sleep-mode (with WiFi off) makes sense for daytime use, but somehow seems counter-intuitive (to me).
    10-31-2013 01:44 PM
    My idea of not using is hours. What would be the point of leaving it on, especially if you have a smartphone with you all the time?
    The point is not having to wait for it to boot up. It's a sacrifice of maybe a few percent of the battery's charge in exchange for not waiting. You're likely not hurting it any by turning it off & on a lot (unless you wear out the power button), so do what you like, but it seems like a wasted effort to make a point to turn it off & back on again, and have to wait.
    10-31-2013 03:02 PM
    I never turn anything off, including my iMac, secondary iMac I basically never use and my old MacBook Pro 2006 which just sits there and sleeps. Sometimes I will wake it up to see if there are software updates for it.

doug
    11-05-2013 06:01 AM