Hangouts and SMS

Karrott9

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
So with Hangouts becoming the default SMS app. Are we going to see SMS syncing between phone (N4) and tablet (N7)? So will we be able to send and receive texts via tablet?

Posted via Android Central App

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
LoL uhm no. There is no phone number associated with tablet so how would you get/send texts. The new apk is floating around, Google it. Its pretty nice. Can set mood too.

Here Hangouts

rdubmu

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I imagine it will be exactly like I Message. U can only send a text from your cell, and a Google hangouts from any device.

Sent from my LG-D801 using AC Forums mobile app

Karrott9

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
So is there any way to SMS text from a tablet?
I'm getting my first tablet here very soon.

juicebox666

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
So does that mean we can only send SMS to people on Google+ that have their mobile number integrated?

No. When sending SMS, Hangouts acts like a regular SMS app (like the stock SMS, Handcent, Go SMS, etc.). The receiver doesn't need to have a G+ account or Hangouts.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

juicebox666

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
So is there any way to SMS text from a tablet?
I'm getting my first tablet here very soon.

No. SMS is tied to cell phones. You'd have to use Hangouts as an IM client or another IM app like Kik to message. They wouldn't be SMS messages.

Actually, there is an indirect way of doing so. You could use Airdroid to connect your tablet to your phone so you could SMS from your tablet but it's a bit of a clunky way of doing so.

Karrott9

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
No. SMS is tied to cell phones. You'd have to use Hangouts as an IM client or another IM app like Kik to message. They wouldn't be SMS messages.

Actually, there is an indirect way of doing so. You could use Airdroid to connect your tablet to your phone so you could SMS from your tablet but it's a bit of a clunky way of doing so.

Mighty Text work? I know its phone to PC deal. Didn't know if you could do it with a tablet.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I have some questions:

1) Is it automatic? ie: will it use hangout network for people that use Hangouts and automatically use SMS if they don't?

2) What if I use hangouts to send a SMS on my phone and view it on my tablet? Will I see the text I sent? Will I see the response from them on my tablet?

ccpopham

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Mighty text works great. When I am on my tablet working, I can just send and receive with mighty text without having to dig my phone out. I used handscent for a long time for the phone, but now I am using ninja text because it is less obtrusive!

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I use mighty text because it is the best option out there, but I can't stand the app. It is so slow and clunky because it is poorly optimized.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I have some questions:

1) Is it automatic? ie: will it use hangout network for people that use Hangouts and automatically use SMS if they don't?

2) What if I use hangouts to send a SMS on my phone and view it on my tablet? Will I see the text I sent? Will I see the response from them on my tablet?

Not to be rude but why don't you install it to find out?

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I was waiting for the OTA update but I just decided to install it on my N4.

I will answer my own questions in case others have them.

1. No. You have to specifically identify the message SMS or hangouts. If you have a hangouts chat and a SMS chat with the same person, they are not merged.

2. SMS messages are only visible on the phone it is sent from, no where else.

I think it is an improvement over the existing division of apps, but I think there is a lot of room for improvement. I would have loved for it to function like Mighty Text where everything is synced on the servers and for SMS to be seamless.

rdubmu

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Not to be rude but why don't you install it to find out?

I don't think this feature has bee releases yet.

If anybody has used iMessage, your phone number is used as one of the addresses you can send your iMessage too. Even if sent to you phone number, it is also sent to your Mac OS computer(s), iPhone, and iPad. If the message is sent as a SMS text I will only go to your phone.

I hope hangouts works this way.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't think this feature has bee releases yet.

If anybody has used iMessage, your phone number is used as one of the addresses you can send your iMessage too. Even if sent to you phone number, it is also sent to your Mac OS computer(s), iPhone, and iPad. If the message is sent as a SMS text I will only go to your phone.

I hope hangouts works this way.

I posted it in post #3. I say "Here Hangouts"

If you click the word Hangouts, it takes you to download the .apk. I've been using it since yesterday!

Edit: Here again http://www.mediafire.com/?vmdz0pmom2rw88v

And here's a link to a bunch of other kitkat stuff you can downmload http://www.droid-life.com/2013/10/3...om-the-nexus-5-dump-search-launcher-and-more/

Android_1234

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
We can't continue the messages from our phone on our tablet? I thought that the new app would integrate our phone number with our hangouts account.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
We can't continue the messages from our phone on our tablet? I thought that the new app would integrate our phone number with our hangouts account.

On the device that has the phone number, it will. Other types of messaging will sync, but since SMS is sent through the cell service, not the data connection, there is no way for a non-cell device to send SMS messages.

I'm looking forward to SMS dying out, because with all this integration, eventually no one will really be able to tell the different between SMS and other messaging, and there won't be any need for SMS. I got by without SMS for a long time, because I could send texts via email using Google Voice. But enough people were sending texts to me that I was getting hit with charges & ended up signing up for texting.

Android_1234

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
On the device that has the phone number, it will. Other types of messaging will sync, but since SMS is sent through the cell service, not the data connection, there is no way for a non-cell device to send SMS messages.

I'm looking forward to SMS dying out, because with all this integration, eventually no one will really be able to tell the different between SMS and other messaging, and there won't be any need for SMS. I got by without SMS for a long time, because I could send texts via email using Google Voice. But enough people were sending texts to me that I was getting hit with charges & ended up signing up for texting.

I have a app called textplus both on my phone and my tablet, I can SMS on my phone then go on my Nexus 7 to send messages to the phone I was messaging from my phone and read the messages that I send from my phone to the other phone.