How to prevent nexus from updating when connected to mobile hotspot?

pjoseph

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I would like to have updates take place when I'm connected to home wireless only so I don't waste my cell data

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus doesn't know if the wireless its connecting to is a mobile hotspot or not, so you're going to have to go all manual on the updates to avoid that. Unless there are connection-specific settings I'm not aware of.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you're talking about updating apps over wifi only, you can do this from the Play Store settings. Open the Play Store, tap menu and then Settings, then Auto Update Apps, and select Auto Update Over Wifi Only.

Posted via Android Central App

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
If you're talking about updating apps over wifi only, you can do this from the Play Store settings. Open the Play Store, tap menu and then Settings, then Auto Update Apps, and select Auto Update Over Wifi Only.

I think you missed the part where he doesn't want it to update on a wifi connection to a mobile hotspot. That setting won't prevent updates on the hotspot.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I see. Tasker could probably be programmed to update apps when it senses that the device is located at home. I assume the mobile hotspot wouldn't be on at home.

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
If you have the newest Play Store update, you can straight up turn that off and update when you need. I do it anyway just so I don't have the issue of an update breaking an app like Hulu did with its last update

Attachments

• IMG_20131103_190301.JPG
    IMG_20131103_190301.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 29

BrandonEnr7

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I am agreeing with most other people. I think it is most simple to just change the settings in the Play Store to not allow Auto-Update. I like doing that as I am one of those dorks who loves to read through a changelog before actually updating an app. Also I know some connections at places are going to be slow so I don't want a large update to be started even if I am on a WiFi access point.

Ardalista

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if it takes this into consideration or not but go to settings - data usage then select the settings icon in the corner and select mobile hotspots and check the boxes to indicate which WiFi ssid's relate to mobile WiFi.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

BrandonEnr7

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if it takes this into consideration or not but go to settings - data usage then select the settings icon in the corner and select mobile hotspots and check the boxes to indicate which WiFi ssid's relate to mobile WiFi.

I complete forgot about that option. What's weird is my Wi-Fi Hotspot from my Galaxy S3 is already checked and I never did that setting. I guess the device might be able to tell if it is a mobile hotspot already. Not sure what this policy applies to which apps and in what way though.

Philthy82

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

Tried this with my Samsung Tab Pro running Kitkat and unfortunately Play Store doesn't use the mobile hotspot info to limit auto updates - it will auto update from a mobile hotspot regardless.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12